Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 12-18-2009

Default Engine compartment clean up

Good Friday evening everyone

Cold raining and dreary here in the foothills of the Appalachians and being bored I was thinking about how dirty my engine compartment is. Looks like the inside of a wash house in a coal mine.

Anyone ever tackled a engine compartment clean up? Seems like an awful lot of things you could screw up if you aren't careful.

Any pointers?
Old 12-18-2009
Gardner

I have often thought about steam cleaning the engine and front end on my FC. The problem is I have no place to do it. The EPA would have a field day if they caught me letting it flush to the ground. They ocasionaly come around the storage facility where I keep it and look for oil stains on the gravel under the coaches.

One thing to do if you went that route is to protect your alternator(s) and other electronic equipment from the flying gook and steam.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 12-18-2009

Default Engine compartment clean up

Garner:

Thanks for your post. where I park my bird is ideal. No worry about Uncle Sugar's "green police". My Dad, who was a traveling Salesman, would dirve a car 200 to 300 thousand miles. He cleaned his engine compartment every three months. "A clean engine, will always keep you going", he said. I just don't know enough about the business end of these coaches to get in there with a pressure washer.
Old 12-18-2009
Forum owner

spray it down with gunk engine degreaser,get a case of 12 at walmart.
I use a pressure washer,a garden hose will work too.
I wash my engine every oil change.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-18-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

I do it whenever I have the radiator swung open after I have first gotten the engine up to operating temperature, so the oil and grease will dissolve easier. I have heard of using Dawn dish washing liquid diluted with water and sprayed through a spray bottle and sometimes I use Simple Green, or Castrol Purple Cleaner in a spray bottle;

It all depends on how dirty the engine is. I then let it sit and soak in for a while and let the engine temperature cool down to just warm and not hot, I then spray it off with either a garden hose or a pressure washer again it depend on how dirty it is.

I try to avoid the alternator and any exposed bearing seal area, I usually spray the wet engine off with compressed air and then run it for a while to dry it off as best that I can. After cleaning the engine I spray some CAT yellow paint on it wherever it needs it and I also do the same underneath, that way an oil leak is easier to see and find the source. This also makes working on the engine less of a mess, but I still get dirty, just not as much.

I do the same thing with my Perkins/Marathon genset, plus I do the transmission, steering box and linkage and front end as best that I can without actually crawling underneath the coach and yes you guessed it I transfer some of the grease, oil and water onto my coveralls and me too

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 12-18-2009
Timberlake Products Group

My FC had the front air compressor crank seal blown therefore puking oil for who knows how long? The entire bottom passenger side all of the way back to the rear axle was covered in what appeared to be endless years of grit, road grim, oil, more grit, more oil etc. you get the picture.

When I replaced the entire compressor early on I, like John, with the front end open, pressure cleaned nice and pretty. Greased Lightening, hot water and 4500psi worked well. I literally spent several days on and off pressure cleaning the entire bottom... I would literally come out from underneith as black as the ACE of SPADES! Well worth the effort. I would buy from Advanced Auto Parts cases of engine degreaser too, it worked well!

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup