Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 12-04-2017

Default Dometic roof top a/c

My middle a/c unit went out a while back. I bought a Dometic 651816C751C0 15000 btu heat pump unit to replace it. I wired and installed a 10 button thermostat that is required for this unit. That was the easy part. The unit I bought had an oil leak. The unit was never run. I contacted a local service tech that was a dometic authorized technician. Dometic sent a new unit. The new unit was installed and it did not work. Between the service tech and Dometic they determined that the circuit board was bad. They sent a new board. The a/c still did not work. They decided that now the thermostat was bad. I ordered a new thermostat. Installed the thermostat and still nothing. No power to the thermostat itself. Dometeic told me to check the 12 volt wiring to the a/c because it will not work without 12 volts to the thermostat thru the a/c. I got 13.44 volts. Dometic determined the phone style cable that runs from the a/c to the thermostat was bad. I had a new one made up. Still nothing. Dometic had me plug that cable up directly to the a/c, removing the factory installed phone style cables. Still no a/c. Does anyone have any ideas what is keeping this unit from working. I am getting desperate. Dometic and the service tech don't seem to have a clue of what is wrong with this thing.
"Chief's Pride Too"
Old 12-04-2017
bird-doctor

Default dometic ac

the control cable (phone cable) is not a phone cable but a special cable for dometic ac, this is a communication cable between all the ac's, try a cable from dometic connected from thermostat to the center ac, this will bypass the factory installed cable, also the little connectors for the cables to connect all the ac's together is dometic, not standard phone connectors
Old 12-04-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduntech View Post
the control cable (phone cable) is not a phone cable but a special cable for dometic ac, this is a communication cable between all the ac's, try a cable from dometic connected from thermostat to the center ac, this will bypass the factory installed cable, also the little connectors for the cables to connect all the ac's together is dometic, not standard phone connectors
Yes I agree. I had the cable made up following the dometic instructions. Dometic says they don't have there own cable to sell, ,that I had to have one made up. The dometic rep I talked to Friday, in fact, told me to disconnect the factory cables and throw them away. She said they were junk, her words, not mine. I used the RJ-11-6C4P connectors they called for in their manual.
"Chief's Pride Too"
Old 12-04-2017

Do you have anyone that can help check that cable? Using your multi meter and a long piece of wire to extend the probes check the new and old cables.

You do have the AC power on at the breaker and voltage at the connections on the air conditioner right?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-04-2017

Yes I have power to the 110 and 12 volt. for the unit itself. Dometic tells me that the unit will not work without the thermostat getting power. I don't get anything at the thermostat. I have a feeling that they are going to tell me the board is bad...again.
"Chief's Pride Too"
Old 12-04-2017

Dennis,
You say you have 13.44 Vdc to the new thermostat. My question is there a possibility Dometic has the positive and negative markings wrong and the DC voltage is reversed?
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 12-04-2017

Good question. The wires are color coded red and black. When I hook the meter up with the red being positive I get 13.44, when I switch the meter connections I get _13.44
"Chief's Pride Too"
Old 12-04-2017

With the DC power connected, does the thermostat light up?
Can you post the model number of the thermostat or a picture of any schematic they may have supplied?
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 12-04-2017
bird-doctor

Default ac problem

you mentioned a ten button thermostat, have not heard of one but i could be wrong, are you sure you are using the correct control board, a five button thermostat and a digital thermostat use a different board, if you are mixing different boards among the three ac's, could be a problem, isolate the different ac's and see if they will work individually
Old 12-04-2017

No the thermostat does not light up. Neither one that I have tried do. That seems to be the issue. That was why they replaced the board the last time. 12 volt going up to the a/c but not coming back down to the thermostat. The thermostat is the 10 button CCC2 that it calls for in the book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1079B088-88B5-4EA7-9B16-6D299D983DC0.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	52676  
"Chief's Pride Too"