Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 04-25-2010

Hi,
For general knowledge:
In the 450, the Active Air suspension was eliminated in the first phase of the recall. The front bags were plumbed together to equalize the front ,side to side loading discrepancies. No increased anti-sway bars were incorporated.

"The extra wheelbase (+37") and the independant front suspension make for a fantastic ride. The active air suspension adds greatly as well. The coach is nice and tight, no rattles or squeeks. I didn't know what to expect from the slides but it is as if they are not there."
Old 04-25-2010

I would like to make that Wabasto change you mentioned to bypass the engine. Do you have a change plan with parts?

Why would Allen say the engine needs to be in the circuit as a heat sink?

Thanks
Dan

this would effectively change the function of the water heater form a demand type to a reservoir type heater
if the webasto is heating the cat it will cycle less frequently
if heating only domestic hot water you could expect more frequent cycling
you cant use all the hot water a webasto of that size can produce

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 04-26-2010

In our hot water system, hot water arrives also most instantly when the Wabasto unit is on. It takes some time for hot water to arrive if Wabasto is off and electric heater is on. I think that might mean that the electric heater is before the Wabasto not after.

We have a leak of antifreeze coming from the wabasto area. Are there any special procedures to get the unit opened up? Will the unit run when opened up? Anything I should know before I dive in?
"Dream Catcher"
Old 04-26-2010

probably an errant Hose clamp
webasto will not run opened up
it is an oil burner spraying oil into combustion chamber and a free spark

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 04-26-2010
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledoc View Post
In our hot water system, hot water arrives also most instantly when the Wabasto unit is on. It takes some time for hot water to arrive if Wabasto is off and electric heater is on. I think that might mean that the electric heater is before the Wabasto not after.

We have a leak of antifreeze coming from the wabasto area. Are there any special procedures to get the unit opened up? Will the unit run when opened up? Anything I should know before I dive in?
Doubledoc,

I'd be concerned over where the effluent is collecting. The basement floor area of the M450 is well sealed. If the effluent escapes the heater housing it may find it's way to the PolyFiber insulation under the marine grade plywood. I believe BB did a pretty good job of creating a swimming pool in that area. If the PolyFiber gets wet it may be a challenging task to dry it out. Water collected in the PolyFiber will may add significant weight to the coach.
Old 04-26-2010

The stainless steel cover can be removed using a screw driver. Be careful as some edges may be sharp!

The unit will run with the cover removed.

I would try to correct the leak ASAP...

Erik
Old 04-26-2010

To clarify, the unit will run with the ENCLOSURE cover removed, but not with the Webasto unit itself open.

The enclosure can be removed with a screwdriver.

Erik
Old 05-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledoc View Post

Have you found your leak? And what was the fix?

Thanks
San Marcos, CA

Old 05-03-2010

Erik

We would appreciate that sketch and part number if possible. Also what reprogramming would be needed.That fix would lower fuel costs and make the system more versatile.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Johnson View Post
It's actually a larger boiler, but does not have the reservoir capacity of the Aquahot.

There is a way to isolate the engine package from the the Webasto already installed. This would allow to you to observe the difference in cycle times before you commit to making the change.

Remove the stainless steel enclosure from the heating system in the bay. Once you have access, you will see the supply & return manifolds located above the webasto. These are stainless steel square tubes with several lines extending from the top. One is the supply, the other is the return. You will notice one supply and one return line that are standard heater hose (I believe they are blue silicone). Where they enter the manifolds there should be a quarter turn ball valve (one on each). These are the lines that circulate coolant to & from the engine package.

Close these valves. You have now isolated the engine from the heating system.

Start the heating system as you normally would. Going back to the heating system, you will hear the circulating pump running and depending on the coolant temperature in the system, the boiler firing. The pump has a somewhat high pitch and the boiler has a low rumble. If you are not sure that the boiler is firing, see if there is exhaust coming from the large exhaust pipe on the Drivers side. You can use a watch to time the cycling.

Cycle times will vary based on ambient temp., amount of interior heating required, domestic water heating, etc. YOU WILL IN NO WAY DAMAGE THE HEATER BY DOING THIS!

If you determine that this is not an issue, I can sketch up a diagram to add a solenoid valve. The design change also included a program change in the multiplex system that actuated the valve using the dash-mounted engine preheat switch as a true engine preheat and also actuated the valve when the engine is running to provide interior heat & domestic water heating while underway from the engine. Do any Service centers have the ability to re-program?

Try the above procedure with both the valves in the open & closed positions and you will note the cycle time difference.

Erik
San Marcos, CA

Old 05-03-2010

The leak is fixed. Easy to do. It was a very loose hose clamp. Others were not tight but not leaking much. It might be a good idea to check all those hose clamps , inside and outside of the unit. It works great with no more leaks.
Thaks for all the help.
"Dream Catcher"