Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Coaches Wanted

Coaches Wanted Looking to buy a particular coach? Place your request here.

Site Search:

Old 03-29-2008

Default Trying to find the needle!

We've decided the Wanderlodge is the best choice for us, so now we're looking for a 91 to 98 (a year up or down for the right coach we would certainly look at) WB model.
Here's how we have ranked things for our preferences:

1)Queen cross bed over rear queen over 2 twins
2)1 couch and 2 chairs with table over 2 couches over most other configurations
3)dinette with chairs or fixed benches over bench and powered table
4)washer dryer inside the coach over underneath over none
5)unsure of bath either walk through or side aisle- recommendations??
6)mid entry seems more useable than front-but only a few "mids" were made, those of you that have them, what do you think?

We're willing to look at essentially everything available. It will be more education if nothing else.
So, whose got what????
Thanks!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support

Last edited by fxdwg; 03-31-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: changing year range
Old 03-29-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
We've decided the Wanderlodge is the best choice for us, so now we're looking for a 90 to 95 (a year up or down for the right coach we would certainly look at) WB model.

6)mid entry seems more useable than front-but only a few "mids" were made, those of you that have them, what do you think?

We're willing to look at essentially everything available. It will be more education if nothing else.
So, whose got what????
Thanks!
Howdy, John.
We live fulltime in a 1993 Wanderlodge. We have a sofa that has 2 large drawers under it. We HAD one barrel chair in the LR. Sold it because I needed the space for my electronic keyboard. We still have the recliner for my DH, Jack. The kitchen has the fixed dinette with large storage drawers under it. We have the walk through bath, and a combo washer/dryer in the bathroom, wardrobe with 4 storage drawers in it, and of course shower and etc. The queen bed is crosswise(east to west). Since Jack is over 6 ft., we purchased a Select Comfort full sized Queen mattress. Our home-on-wheels is a front entry model. My previous coach was a mid entry. I like the longer wall of the front entry better. I like the symmetry of the walk through bathroom. I do talk a lot about storage. Need that when you are a fulltimer. Good luck in your search.
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 03-29-2008
Former Bird Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
We've decided the Wanderlodge is the best choice for us, so now we're looking for a 90 to 95 (a year up or down for the right coach we would certainly look at) WB model.

So, whose got what????
Thanks!
1. Twin beds are most common in FC models, Queen is common in the pushers. Many have "side island" beds, but quite a few have the bed centered at the rear. Access to the rear closet is best with the side island arrangement. The main hanging closet, however, tends to be in the bathroom of the pusher models. The rear closet isn't full length. It's pretty deep with the 95 and later pushers with the DD Series 60, however. (Those are 42 or 43 ft. in length.)

2. You'll find many configurations. But changing the configuration isn't that difficult. I sold our original sofas to a RV 'surplus' dealer as part of a larger remodel of the interior. We now have a large desk and filing cabinets up front.

3. Most of the units on the market have bench or chair/table dining facility. Only a few have a powered table, so you'll have lots of choices. Those with the moving table have the 'J' style dining bench.

4. Have you used RV washers in the past? Some people love 'em and some people hate 'em. After using ours a few times, I'm in the hate 'em category. I'm seriously considering removing it to get more closet space.

5. Bath walk through vs. walk past -- there are trade offs with either arrangement. I have a "diagonal aisle" layout that gives a passage past the bath. It's nice as it gives some privacy to the bathroom and tends to hold moisture, noise, light, and odors away from the bedroom and forward part of the coach (we have a cat box in the shower -- the source of odor -- there's very little odor from the plumbing). The downside is that there is less counter space around the sink and a smaller, more oddly shaped shower than I've seen in the walk through models. I -might- have preferred having a little more counter space, but when driving, you have to clear everything off the counter anyway, so the limited space is a plus 'cause there's less room to fill it up... A little more space in the shower would have been nice, too. Not that I'm unhappy with what we have -- but there are trade offs to consider.

6. I'm not sure that a mid-entry gives you any more useable space. In the forward entry, the stair well is in the 'leg' area of the passenger chair, so it doesn't take much space away from the usable coach interior. WIth a mid entry, the stair well intrudes into otherwise useable floor area. There might be a slight advantage with a mid-entry if you need to move large stuff in or out of the coach (like sofas, chairs, refrigerator, etc.) but it certainly isn't creating more space inside.

There are a lot of available choices, so take your time and don't rush. Be ready if a "bargain" (careful there!) appears, but be sure to take a close look at the different arrangements.

Hold some back from your purchase budget for reconfiguration -- if one with 2 sofas is available at a good price, spending a thousand to swap a sofa for chair and table might end up being a bargain.

Good luck in your hunt.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 03-29-2008

We looked at a 90 and a 93 today. The 93 was the nicest coach we've looked at so far. It was very "gently used". It should make a great coach for somebody. We're not sure it's right for us, but close. It had 2 fixed benches and a table for the dinette, 2 chairs, a table and a couch for the salon and a cross queen bed. I noticed the floor around the bed is flat in the 93, whereas the 91 we looked at had a slope as you went around the bed. I think we've ruled out the 1990 model year, but have expanded to a 98 or so as the later year. Further research indicates the Series 60 is a big improvement over the 8v92, so we're also now looking up to 98 or so. Anybody have anything to add?
Thanks for everybody's input!! It REALLY helps to be able to chat with experienced like minded people about what I'm experiencing for the first time.
John

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 03-29-2008

Default Washer Dryer

peteaeonix,
What do you not like about the washer/dryer? We've never used one, so we don't know good points from bad points. It just seemed that being able to do a small load of clothes while driving would be very time efficient. Anybody's thoughts? I understand I'll fill tanks faster and use water faster, but never figured I'd be truly dry camping for long enough it would matter.
Thanks!

Old 03-30-2008
Grand Curmudgeon

John,

The series 60 is in all 42-43' coaches from 95 on and 40' from 96 or 97 on.

As to the washer dryer. I would guess 90% of the complaints you read or hear about them are from owners of *UN-VENTED* units. The smaller capacity is a small issue, you just wash more loads or wash more often with smaller loads. BB did *not* offer vented as an option at least as far as 97 as they didn't want to ruin the lines .

You have to realize that the combo washer/dryers are all European models and the Europeans have been using them for years. Also, the dryers of most units, either combo or stacked , will most likely be wired for 110v, which also makes the drying time longer.

When we bought our 97, we had them swap the vented dryer from our 2000 into the 97 and had them also put in the vent. Looks fine and has worked for for us since 99. Also, my wife has played enough with it to know all the tricks and she loves it and she is very picky.

Paul LaZar
St. Augustine, FL
Former owner of Ziggy
97 wb43

Last edited by Paul; 03-30-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2008

A little more on the washer/dryer combo. We have one in our 1990, it is vented and my wife uses it all the time. We have 3 children so when we are out it gets a work out. One side benefit in our coach is that the drain is plumbed into the black tank. It keeps the tank at all times. Even the level indicators work great.
I would not give up on a 90 yet unless you do not care for the classic look and do not mind spending additional cash. I like the Series 60 engine as well but whether it is an improvement is subject to debate. I have a friend with a Prevost who is a motor home maintenance fanatic and his Series 60 blew up a couple weeks ago in DC. It cost him around $20,000 to get it right. No one seems to know why it dropped a piston and trashed the engine. Knock on wood, my 8v92 is still going.
I removed two recliners and added two antique chairs which picked a lot of room in the living area. Ours is a walk through and our bedroom floor is the same elevation as the rest of the coach.
Good luck on your search.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 03-31-2008

Thumbs up series 60 washer dryer!

Paul,
I found out about the non-vented issue as I was doing some research. It certainly makes sense. All that water vapor needs to go someplace, if not outside, then where? I would have thought BB would have come up with something that wouldn't "mess up the lines" yet still allow for venting.

Leroy,
I guess I wouldn't say I dislike the lines of the 90, I just like the slightly sleeker lines of the 91 and up years. I realize that the Series 60 isn't without problems, but I've chatted with 2 different 8v92 owners (both selling their coaches) who have had their 8v92 rebuilt with less than 150,000 miles. As I've got 225,000 on my 7.3 pickup engine without major maintenance, I'd be EXTREMELY disappointed with ANY commercial diesel that's having any major work done before the 500,000 mile mark. I realize that the vast majority of coaches don't get driven like the engine really wants to be driven, so that does significantly contribute to engine demise. I haven't yet had the chance to drive a series 60 engined coach. The 8v92 did reasonably well that I drove. I'm just thinking that if I were to keep the coach for 10 years or so, then I may begin to have parts availabilty issues sometime down the road. I've also been told the series 60 will get a little better fuel economy if driven properly and has lots more power.

So that's why I expanded my model year range to a 98 to include the earlier years of the series 60 engined coaches. We're headed to Florida the first week of May to look at several coaches there, both 8v92 and series 60 models. Anybody know of any available between Oklahoma City and Orlando??
Thanks again for everybody's input. I really can't express my appreciation enough!

Last edited by fxdwg; 03-31-2008 at 12:03 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-31-2008
Forum owner

the dryer in my 93 bird vented through the floor,was mine the only one?
i think not!
randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-31-2008
Forum Moderator

No your's wasn't the only one Randy. Mine vented through the floor to the wheel well. That is it use to until I removed it.