Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 03-31-2008

Default Head light upgrade for Ford F150 lights

Hi Folks,

Yes, I am an alien (Newell) but some of the Birds used those same great big Ford lamps from an F150. They measure about 200 mm by 250 mm.

As you probably know, they don't put out a lot of usable light. I had to strike a match one time to see if mine were actually on

Anyway, in the pursuit of better night time visibility. I looked at many diffferent options such as projector beams, HID, and so on. I found a source for ECE (European specification) direct replacement lamps. Some of you might already be familiar with Daniel Stern lighting.

I have taken some pictures comparing the ECE lamp to the stock lamp. The pictures were taken with the camera on manual so the exposure and aperture were exactly the same. I pointed the coach into a dark field and covered the opposite light to isolate the lighting of the lamp in interest. This was as close as I could get to apples and apples comparison. The ECE light does not have an overwattage bulb in it. However, in the spirit of fairness, the ECE lamp is powered through relays and 10g wiring. The stock lamp is powered through the original Newell wiring which is 12g but the circuit travels through the on off switch and the dimmer switch. Using relays I measure an 0.2 V voltage drop at the lamps. Using the original circuitry I measure a 1.2 V drop. So, at a minimum the wiring and relays is a worthwhile project.

Ok, I haven't posted pics here before so you may have to post the links in your browser to see them....

The stock light

And here is the Euro light

The pictures are more telling full screen, if you want the real copies, send me a reply to richard.entrekinATalconlabs.com Change the AT to @ of course.

Cost? Not cheap !!!! About 145 each for the Eoro lamps, 15 for the bulbs, and about 100 bucks for relays fuses and wiring.

On the other hand, very inexpensive compared to the cost of using cheaper projector style lights, but having to remodel the front cap to get them to look aesthetically pleasing
99 Newell with DD Series 60
Subaru Outback toad

Last edited by Bikeboy57; 04-01-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-31-2008
Forum owner

good post!
we have been doing relay upgrades on the early birds for a few years now,but changing the bulbs plus the relays seem to be the way to go!
thanks for posting.
Randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-01-2008

Randy, it's a change of the lamp housing that alters the focus and quality of the light. Just putting new bulbs in the original Ford housing will not produce this result.
99 Newell with DD Series 60
Subaru Outback toad
Old 04-01-2008
Forum owner

ahhh,i see!
so,its nothing a grand won't fix?
Randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-02-2008
Grand Curmudgeon

Up until we bought our bird, we almost never drove at night. Even though we owned a number of new coaches, I never felt the headlights were worth having as they were so bad. I changed bulbs, I checked voltages etc, and never good lights. The headlights on the bird are so good, I am amazed and have driven thousands of nighttime miles with confidence.

We have the standard Ford lights, but we keep our lenses clear of frosting and hazing (easy to do with good chemicals) the connections are good and some higher wattage bulbs make a tremendous difference.

I can't see any reason to replace them as I don't think I can get them significantly better.

Paul LaZar
St. Augustine, FL
Former owner of Ziggy
97 wb43
Old 04-02-2008

What are the chemicals that you use to get the haze and yellow off the outside lens cover. I had replaced the whole bucket on the passenger side, but so far, can't get the body strip under the other head light off. Think that I may have to drop the bumper end down to get it off.
[I]1997 WANDERLODGE - 43'[/I]