Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 07-24-2009
RV Appraiser

Default Service Brakes - Toad Brakes

I just purchased a Road Master Brakemaster system to put in my jeep. I have it all hooked up and have tested it with an air compressor so it is functional. Now my big question? Where do I hook into my birds service brakes for the air service to the toad? Can someone provide pictures, of where they hooked their air brake system on their bus to provide air to their toad?
Just doing what I can to be legal.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 07-24-2009

John, I'm in the process of installing the same brake on my toad. I plan to tap into the air inlet to my tag brake chamber. In your case I suppose you will tap into the brake chamber on your drive axle. Sorry I can't provide you with pictures. Hope this helped.
Johnny Slone
Pikeville, Ky
98 LXI 41'
Old 07-24-2009

I would'nt tap directly at the brake chamber but place a T in the brakeline above the tag axel.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 07-25-2009

I am not sure of the air pressure going to the FC drive axle air bags. On the PT, the tag axle has a pressure reducing valve you can tap in before or after (depending on the pressure you need). I am not sure about the best place for th FC. Probably tee into the airline going to the drive axle air bags.

Glenn
Old 07-25-2009
Forum owner

tapping into the air bags will keep the brakes applied all the time,you have to tap into the service brake side of the air brake chambers.
On a tag axle coach theres a unused pipe plug in the tag axle brake chamber,i took that plug on and plumbed my M&G into that port.
I have seen the big brass fitting on top of the axle housing get a new hole drilled and tapped for the tow brake.

YMMV

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-25-2009

I definitely do not know what I am talking about. I know the M&g is proportional but i was thinking the Brakemaster was hybrid and needed an air supply and also used an electric activation. Next time maybe I will read the documentation before I post. But I doubt I will.....you are not ever supposed to consult the documentation until after the install!

Glenn
Old 07-25-2009
Forum owner

Glenn,you may be right,and I may be wrong.
I assumed that it worked like the M&G system.
but if you just need an air supply,then I would come off the air chuck designed for inflating the tires.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-25-2009
Gardner

John,
Before completing the coach connection, open the connection point and let the air drain out, then see what works and what doesn't. You want to be sure that at least the front coach brakes are still functional. The air chuck line has a pressure protection device in it so you can't drain either brake system beyond the minimim pressure, but it isn't modulated by the brake pedal. It isn't a bad idea to test the pressure protection ocasionally anyway.

P.S.
Insure you have the coach supported on suitable jack stands while under it. Letting out the air will drop the suspension. You should never be underneath without jack stands anyway.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-25-2009
RV Appraiser

The Roadmaster Brakemaster system is a proportational system just like the M&G system. The differences between the 2 systems is the Roadmaster is a cylinder actuator mounted to the floor board of the vehicle and connected to the brake pedal, whereas the M&G is mounted directly to the vehicle master cylinder. Both operate off the bus service air brake system. My question is which port do I connect to. I've crawled under the bus and have found the air brake relay box and there appears to be an empty port available (plugged). But I'm not sure. I just don't want to reinvent the wheel when someone else has been there. I thought someone with an FC had been down that road before and could tell me. Bill Pape had his done at Holland and said he would shot some pictures but Bill is getting old and he is forgetful. He also told me Holland screwed it up the first time. So whoelse has done it? It dosen't matter if their brake system is a Roadmaster or an M&G just as long as they run off the service brakes air supply. I need to know where or how to connect into the supply system. I have a pair of 20 ton jack stands I'll be using.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_