Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 03-12-2009

Default Batteries - charging 2 banks

I went out yesterday and got my second bank of batteries, 4 Trojan 105s.

I now have 4 deep cycle 12 volt marine batteries on the driver side and will be putting the 4 Trojans in the passenger forward compartment.

My charger is a Xantrex RS3000 with 150 amp total charge capacity. Easily enough to charge both banks under most circumstances.

My question is how should I hook the charger up to the two banks?

Can I parallel both, run one or two equalization cycles and be done?
Should I put an isolator in?
Should I go with a battery selector switch?
Any other suggestions?

Regards,
Old 03-12-2009
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
After reading the attached file I switch from 12V to 6V batteries

http://www.phrannie.org/battery.html
Rob
How did you fit the 6v in your trays? I tried to use golf 6v and they would not fit. They were too tall for both racks. I ended up using 12v deep cycles but would have preferred the 6v.
314-378-9882
Old 03-12-2009

Default Batteries - charging 2 banks

Both front compartments are tall enough to fit the Trojans but you would have to completely re-do all the connections in the stock BB compartment to get them to fit.

Mine are not going in the stock BB tray. They are going in the compartment where the Redi-Line was, which has just enough clearance.

I'm hoping to rig up some type of slider for maintenance but if not I'm going to be doing them one-at-a-time.

What are your thoughts re: hooking up the charger?

Regards,
Old 03-16-2009

I just bought 6 Interstate U2200 Golf Car batteries today. 78.95 each was my cost. Thought it was a good price, they were 100.00 each in Nov. My Interstate rep said "Buy them now, there is a price increase coming next week"

I'm replacing Trojan T105's which are 5-7 years old and the case on a few of them is swollen like they froze at one point. Also I am getting too big of differences in specific gravity of the cells in each battery. Time for new ones.
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 03-17-2009
Former Bird Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpn60 View Post
<snip>
I'd sure like to hear from some of our land based AGM experience that shows they are cost effective over lead-acid? I'd much rather go with maintenance free but on my budget a bang-for-buck approach is always preferred.
If you keep your standard flooded cell lead acid batteries properly serviced, they will last a long time and may have a considerable cost advantage over the AGMs. That said, I know that I'm not likely to check and service batteries as often as I probably should... and I also realize that the battery trays in my coach are not the easiest thing to deal with (they're hard to pull out and once pulled out, it's still hard to access all the caps for the cells). So, AGMs seem like a good idea.

The previous owner had installed 6 type 4-D Deka brand AGMs. They did not seem to hold a charge as long as I thought they should -- but there were also signs that they'd been somewhat abused by the dealers who held the coach for the many months before I bought it. (Including the Link 2000 R controller having been reset to 'default' so it was controlling the chargers as if there were standard wet cell batteries.) So I replaced them with a set of Free River brand AGMs of the same size. These have provided acceptable performance and I'm very pleased with not having to worry about checking/adding water, etc.

They may not be more cost effective than compared with well maintained wet cell batteries, but they're probably a lot more cost effective than poorly maintained wet cells that might have to be replaced frequently... The overall convenience is worth it to me.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 03-17-2009
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Thanx for the reply Pete. I'm sure envious of your setup, but like you said. I really don't think you can beat a set of properly taken care of deep cycle lead-acid batteries setup properly. I am going to really look into some nice slides though. Most installations just don't take maintenance into consideration and don't leave enough cable to properly extend the batteries. Enjoy your leisurely life and just ignore those batteries! If money were no object.... hee hee hee...
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 03-17-2009
Former Bird Owner

Well, money IS an object ... but I know the realities... All I have to do is 'kill' a couple sets of flooded cell batteries and I'll be up to what the AGMs cost.

While checking oil and tires is a daily task, checking the batteries is an every couple of weeks or once a month type thing that's easily forgotten. Add to it that my trays don't quite extend far enough to expose the caps of the battery on the rear of the shelf and it becomes one of those big headaches each time to check the water level. Note that the limited travel isn't due to too-short cables, but is the design of the slides (probably to handle the 300# weight of the batteries on each shelf).

I'd tend to suggest one of those automatic watering systems -- if you have room for it in your battery compartment.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com