Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 11-06-2019

In my PT38 you do not want to ever do anything that involves the breaker panel. In order to get at the panel one must remove the mirrored cabinet doors and a couple of the posts. It is ****. I managed to do this once without tearing the upholstery. Never again. The inverter has 2 output AC circuits. I am installling a double breaker box for these 2 circuits. I am doing like Gardener stated. Leave the old transfer switch as is. I have fished the wire for the control panel but do not know how I am going to get the battery temp sensor to the rear of the bus.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 11-06-2019
Gardner

The problem I have with the battery temp sensor in the PT is the exhaust runs under the batteries and the cooling fan blows more heat over the top. My batteries get so warm it triggers a battery over-temp error and shuts the inverter down. I use 110 to run my computer with the GPS software, so I want inverter power while driving.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 11-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
In my PT38 you do not want to ever do anything that involves the breaker panel.
Does your transfer switch have gen, 30a, and 50a on it? If you have a 30a position just wire your inverter into there, it will power up the whole panel, both sides, and you don't need to get to the panel at all then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
The problem I have with the battery temp sensor in the PT is the exhaust runs under the batteries and the cooling fan blows more heat over the top. My batteries get so warm it triggers a battery over-temp error and shuts the inverter down. I use 110 to run my computer with the GPS software, so I want inverter power while driving.
So are the batteries getting hot then? You could just unplug the temp sensor if it's really way out of whack, but if it's really the battery temp then?????
Old 11-06-2019
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post

So are the batteries getting hot then? You could just unplug the temp sensor if it's really way out of whack, but if it's really the battery temp then?????
The batteries are actually getting hot, should get rid of the muffler to reduce the heat from below. I need to make up an extension with a jack to disconnect when driving. Access to the Xantrex is too difficult. For now I move the sensor to a cooler place, not needed when driving.

not sure I agree with his suggestion for location, but it is good to know about the issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBIa-tYTOxA
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 11-06-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-06-2019

Andy> That transfer switch is by the co pilot seat. The inverter is way back near the fridge My output wires are right in the same compartment as the inverter. I jsut need to install a breaker box. The old battery boiler was on a 30 amp breaker. I dont know why. The boiler was not wired direct. It had a regular plug. Don't need a breaker as that plug would just melt if there was an overload!!! Gardners comment on the heat is timely. I will have to see how hot it gets back there. I sure wont attach the sensor to the battery terminal after seeing that video

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II