Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 11-29-2011

Here's two pix. One shows the switch installed for the chassis batteries, which I leave off when parked more than a day or two. The other shows the fuse holders installed for the inverters and the house battery switch. The original BB method of mounting the fuses was an accident waiting for a little more vibration, about 1/8" to a dead short.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	699.7 KB
ID:	13551   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	720.0 KB
ID:	13552  
Old 11-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
Here's two pix. One shows the switch installed for the chassis batteries, which I leave off when parked more than a day or two. The other shows the fuse holders installed for the inverters and the house battery switch. The original BB method of mounting the fuses was an accident waiting for a little more vibration, about 1/8" to a dead short.
My compliments on a very clean engine bay. In lieu of using single post terminals to combine many battery connections, I might recommend the use of busbars which have multiple connection points. Bluesea makes some great ones, which flow plenty of current, and which are stainless so they won't corrode. You can see an assortment here: http://bluesea.com/category/82/35

Hope I didn't offend you in anyway, Ron. You've done a great job. I know Bluebird combined batteries on single terminal studs, but that doesn't make it the best solution.

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 11-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
My compliments on a very clean engine bay. In lieu of using single post terminals to combine many battery connections, I might recommend the use of busbars which have multiple connection points. Bluesea makes some great ones, which flow plenty of current, and which are stainless so they won't corrode. You can see an assortment here: http://bluesea.com/category/82/35

Hope I didn't offend you in anyway, Ron. You've done a great job. I know Bluebird combined batteries on single terminal studs, but that doesn't make it the best solution.

Doug
Doug,

No offense taken. In fact that is the next thing to improve that bothers me about the wiring. Just might do that while I am bored here in Florida. Thanks for the link.

Another improvement may be made when I get new batteries, though that is some time off. One of the truck maintenance facilities I have used suggested using batteries with tabs rather than posts and connect them with a bus bar that is made specifically for that and is used on trucks. I haven't seen them anywhere, but the only thing that bothers me about those is that any vibration between batteries would tend to fatigue the terminals. Anybody got any info on that?
Old 11-29-2011

Ron,

We saw this battery connection on a dump truck in Mexico a couple of years ago. It might fit in with your engine bay decor if you got a new screwdriver with a more colorful handle.

Just a suggestion from your friends in North Carolina.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mexico Truck battery connection.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	13560  
Old 11-29-2011

Lemme at that battery bay!
Old 11-30-2011

When the terminal oversized, you're on the road and all you've got is a screwdriver, what else would you do?

(mild sarcasm there)

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 11-30-2011

The rednek way when I was growing up in LA (Lower Alabama) was a washer and a screw. Still works.
Old 11-30-2011
Campground Owner

I don't know about this engine compartment decor stuff. That's just too clean.
www.xcreekrv.com
35°31'08.6"N 83°03'38.8"W
Old 11-30-2011

Hay!!! He was driving down the road when I took the picture. It seemed to work for him.
Old 11-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brookshire View Post
Ron,

We saw this battery connection on a dump truck in Mexico a couple of years ago. It might fit in with your engine bay decor if you got a new screwdriver with a more colorful handle.

Just a suggestion from your friends in North Carolina.
I think that is actually the main electrical shutoff; only trouble is it only shuts off once. OR you can use it roadside for welding, too
Ex-PT36