Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 01-23-2009
hturner 12

Default Electrical problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipvendor50 View Post
Gary:
I believe one of the drawings will be in the package I sent you. But then, every coach is a little different as well.
Bill
I think you could take 3 of the line one in front, one in the middle and one behind it and all three would be different
Old 01-27-2009

Default GFI problems solved

This is a "breadcrumb" post.

I've been suffering from really odd GFI tripping problem for a week.

I pulled the polarity indicators from the galley panel and cut the Safe Line module out of the circuit but I was still getting non-consistent trips of a shore line GFI. At one point, I tripped a GFI simply by plugging in with the transfer switch being in the OFF position.

I finally isolated the problem to two breakers. One was the breaker with the reset switch at the bottom left of the panel.

After I took it out, I ohmed out the "reset" breaker and got some continuity between hot and neutral.

I replace both breakers with new "simple" breakers and I now no longer trip the shore power GFI.

ADVICE - Weird GFI problems ... pull that old style "GFI" breaker and replace with a simple breaker.

Regards,
GPSGary
1984FC35SB
Old 01-29-2009

Default Neutral to ground resistance

RE: 1984FC35SB

I spoke too soon that my electrical problems were fixed.

I have at least one bad circuit (Front receptacle). It keeps tripping the GFI.

I pulled the neutral off this circuit and sure enough I get static resistance to ground. I suspect the vacuum cleaner motor but I'll get to that.That's not my biggest problem.

I'm carefully putting the wiring back periodically checking that I still read infinite ohms between the neutral and ground bar. All of a sudden I'm getting a resistance reading.

I reverse the meter leads and now I'm getting infinite resistance again.

I've now gone to the trouble of pulling all the neutrals off so I can test them individually. All register infinity in one direction but multiple neutrals give me a non-infinite reading with the meter leads reversed.

There is only the one circuit that trips the GFI but why am I reading resistance between these neutrals and ground.?

Regards,
GPSGary
Old 01-29-2009
Administrator

Default Test

Gary,

I have never performed this test, nor can I answer.
But there are appliances hooked up such as hotwater tank, block heater, maybe battery heaters if equipped, TV's, Insta Hot, battery charger, inverter, microwave, food center,possibly more ....... this is just a guess.
Old 01-29-2009

Default Test

youre looking back through the diodes of your inverter its normal
Old 02-02-2009

Default More GFI problems

I'm down to only one circuit tripping a GFI but it's really weird. I've removed the Safeline module, the polarity indicator module AND replaced the bathroom breaker with a standard breaker.

The only circuit that "occasionally" trips the GFI is the "Front receptacle".

The reason I say occasionally is because three times now I have thought I found and cleared the problem. Turned the breaker on and everything worked fine for a while then totally out of the blue I trip the GFI.

The first two times this happened, I thought I might have done something but not this third time. We were just watching TV and the GFI tripped after it had been fine for about 2 hours. As far as I could tell absolutely nothing changed in the electrical system at the time the GFI tripped.

What can possibly be making a GFI trip after being fine for multiple hours and how do I find it?

Regards,
GPSGary
Old 02-02-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Multi Threads on Same Basic Topic NOW COMBINED

Good Morning Gary,

Let me start off by first saying this has been a very good and educational thread, but it has been split five times since it started two weeks ago, when it should have just continued on one thread, as all of the SPLIT THREAD TOPICS relate in one way or another back to the very first one, so I have combined them all back into the original Thread. There are a lot of issues spread throughout the threads that can be connected to each other and for the benefit of someone trying to read through multi threads and then see similar questions and answers in other threads under the same members name, it would be easier to just stick with the original and then CHANGE THE REPLY TOPIC to reflect what you are referring to and even better yet take the time to click on the quote button at the lower right of the reply box and either highlight what you are referring to, or eliminate all but that portion from the quote itself, similar to this below.

Quote:
even better yet take the time to click on the quote button at the lower right of the reply box and either highlight what you are referring to, or eliminate all but that portion from the quote itself.
This will make things a lot easier in the future if a member is doing a SEARCH on lets say GFI Tripping that will result in this one thread rather than five different threads that are related, it is easier to scroll up and down through one thread to read it, than to open five of them and then have to jump back and forth between them.

If you can't remember where the thread was that you originally started, it is easy to find by clicking on your user name at the top of any of your posts and choosing FIND ALL POSTS BY ........

Thanks and eep up the good work.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-02-2009

Default GFI problem - where are the junction boxes?

Activating my "Front receptacle" breaker trips a shore power GFI.

I looked really carefully at the BB 120/240 volt wiring diagram (2222669).

As far as I can see from that diagram, the only things on that circuit are a bunch of junction boxes and duplex outlets. Can anyone confirm this? (I know...they are all different, best guess).

I can find the outlets but I have yet to see a junction box. Are the junction boxes in the overhead or under the floor? I've got so much stuff torn apart, I'm reluctant to tear into more just blindly looking for "stuff".

Regards,
GPSGary
Old 02-02-2009
Administrator

Our Bird has several hidden boxes, just to name a few , Hot water tank under bed. block heater behind passenger kick panel, several behind the sink cabinet, roof antenna in overhead cabinet, microwave , in the over the sink cabinet,,,,,,,,,and probably more.....................
Old 02-02-2009

Default Elect. sys. remodel

Gary:
Many of the junction boxes are in the overhead cabinets, behind the false panel.