Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 07-02-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Tachometer Problems and Parts Signaflex - Teleflex

SIGNAFLEX PULSE
GENERATOR INSTRUCTIONS
These Instructions are for the installation of a Signaflex Sending Unit and Drive Tang, for use in conjunction with Tachometers or Speedometers manufactured by Teleflex Incorporated(USA).

TACHOMETER, PULSE GENERATOR
Old 07-02-2008

http://www.v3instruments.com/index.htmlI did find out by calling Teleflex directly that the Gauge Division of Teleflex Incorporated has been sold;

Quote:
http://www.v3instruments.com/news.html
Veethree Acquires Telefex Incorporate Instrument Division
[Sarasota, FL - March 9, 2009] Illinois based company, Veethree, OEM supplier of mechanical and electronic instrumentation, has announced that they have acquired the assets of the Gauge Division of Teleflex Incorporated.
Veethree will be manufacturing the existing Teleflex product line serving the marine and industrial markets in its state-of-the-art 35,000 sq. ft. manufacturing facility located in Sarasota, Florida.
"We are very pleased to have the opportunity to continue the great traditions of superior quality and styling that Teleflex has brought to the instrumentation industry for the last forty years" said Shekhar Tewatia, Vice President of Veethree. "This acquisition gives us a chance to enter the marine industry and consolidate Veethree's position in the industrial segment. We are also very fortunate that many members of the Teleflex team have decided to join us."
Founded in 1976, Veethree has a worldwide presence as an OEM, defense and aftermarket supplier of Instrumentation, Clusters, Sensors and Switches. Veethree plans to make the Sarasota facility their global engineering headquarters.

VEETHREE ELECTRONICS & MARINE LLC
2420 TRAILMATE DRIVE
SARASOTA, FLORIDA 34243
Phone: 941.538.7775
Fax: 941.755.1222
http://www.v3instruments.com/index.html

TACHOMETER TEST.pdf (255.9 KB)

TELEFLEX BASIC GUAGE TEST.pdf (261.9 KB)

Teleflex PDF Instruction Manuals
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TACHOMETER TEST.pdf (255.9 KB, 1493 views)
File Type: pdf TELEFLEX BASIC GUAGE TEST.pdf (261.9 KB, 319 views)
Old 10-02-2008
Senior

My tachometer got erratic on my last trip and then finally stopped about half way home. Opened the rear engine compartment today, removed the tach drive and found that the movement was really hard to turn but the drive pin was still all right. Didn't read any continuity between the wires so assume it is bad.

Has anyone got the manufacturer and part number for the drive unit?
6V92
Old 10-03-2008
Senior

Guess I just answered it myself. Its a signaflex sender for a teleflex tachometer<duh> Guess my brain was somewhere else when I asked the question. Its part # 1A96402 and there are four different drive tang sizes for it. Guess I will have to get my micrometer out and check the size. One end is .104 inches square and the other is sized to fit in the drive tang of the engine it is for. The 6V92 Detroit Diesel has a size either .203"D or .187"D or .152"D or .104"D. Will find out tomorrow and call BB to see if one is in stock. Hate to drive without it working.
6V92
Old 10-03-2008

Tom,

You might find a sending unit at one of the following sources. I'm not sure about the part number differences and their meaning.

http://www.custominstrumentpanels.com/senders.htm

The link above has the Signaflex sending unit SND9604276 for $66.69. I don't know anything about the company and have never purchased from them.

Another link Go2Marine http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=92412F has them for $56.76

Offshore wake http://www.offshorewakemarine.com/in...roducts_id=921 $52.79

Glenn
Old 10-03-2008
Forum owner

to,i have an add on type cruise control system i bought to put on a pickup truck,the sender looks the same to me as the one in a bird,i'll look at it this morning to see if theres a name/number on it.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-03-2008
Senior

Everyone is going to run into this same problem some time unless you are extremely lucky and that is replacing the diesel tachometer sender. Here is what I have found out so far. Called BB at 7:40 this morning and left a message for parts. Returned my call but could not tell me if the part they had was the sender for a FC or PT etc etc. Found that kind of strange.

Have been doing research since 6:30 this morning (and last night) trying to find alternative sources for the part. Nothing so far which is not good.

Did find out that Faria makes a tach sender that looks exactly like the teleflex sender for about $42.00 which is a FAR-90901. But what I cant find out is if the technical specs are the same as the signaflex 1A96402 unit that was OEM on our coaches. BAD BAD!

Anyone got any ideas?
6V92
Old 03-10-2009
HOPALONG

Does anyone know if the tachometer is supposed to zero out when the engine is off on the older 80's 3208 cat? also anyone know where i could find a replacement tach? I tried a regular auto tach but it doesn't seem to work with the alternator sensor. any info would be appreciated. my bus is a 1980 fc33
Old 03-10-2009
Former Bird Owner

I noticed that my tach show about 600 RPM when the engine is shut down. It doesn't seem to have any impact on the accuracy when the engine is running. This bugged me -- but then I went and looked at the photos taken by Mr. Olivers (where I bought the coach) and discovered that it shows 600 RPM in that photo as well.

Since the idle speed for my engine is about 600 RPM, I guess the tach just stays there when the power is taken away when the ignition is shut off. I don't think I've ever seen it at zero.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 03-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoethedog View Post
Does anyone know if the tachometer is supposed to zero out when the engine is off on the older 80's 3208 cat? also anyone know where i could find a replacement tach? I tried a regular auto tach but it doesn't seem to work with the alternator sensor. any info would be appreciated. my bus is a 1980 fc33
Wanderlodge Owners Group > Links, Files, Old Yahoo Forum Database and Downloads > Links > Teleflex Marine Gauges

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Links, Files, Old Yahoo Forum Database and Downloads > Links > West Marine

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...key=SiteSearch

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11