Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 04-29-2009

Default Roof Air Conditioners

Hi ,
I ran into and interesting thing this week, had a customer come in with a 87 40' pt and 2 of his roof a/cs didnt work they had the touch pad digital thermostats and the airs did nothing and the thermostats didnt do anything either, no readouts nothing, I thought I might run this by ya'll and see if anyone might know the problem, let me just say I did find the problem, and the reas of the story is, he had the center a/c checked and the tech told him it was junk and he'd already had the front one replaced with one with the controls on the ceiling assy for the same reason, it didnt work either
Our Address is 1900 Slack St. Pea Ridge Ark. 72751,
Just east of Bentonville, Ark, in the North West Corner
Old 04-29-2009
Forum owner

Boy,Tim,thats a hard one.
what i know about the newer thermostats is this,there is a 4 button,a 5 button and the duotherms circuit board has to be the one for a 4 button,or a 5 button,also you will need an adapter to connect the BB wiring to the ac unit,and the thermostats.
so,if you have a 98 or newer,that has one thermostat for three units and you change an AC unit you will have problems!
i have a headache now..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-29-2009

Default Just guessing.

Improperly positioned switch on drivers upper left console? Those digital thermostats are troublesome IMO.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 04-29-2009

if the switches over the drivers seat were off ,you would have this problem, the next newer version of this thermostat with the slide switches could still work with the 12 v switch off , this version wont, the switches were on and I did check and had 120 volts at the roof
Old 05-01-2009

ok, let me say it took less than 5 minutes to fix the a/cs , the middle one also had a bad fan capacitor then was replaces and another service tech somewhere installed service valves in the center air, and the freon leaked out and needed to be recharged, found these problems after fixing the original problem, which was , a common problem with this model dometic a/c , there is a mili-amp fuse link in the circuit board that can barely be seen ,and when these a/cs were new and this link burned out dometic would just send us a new circuit board and thermostat and we';'d replace it and fix the problem, I had forgotten about this problem until I remover the a/c cover on the roof and saw the circuit board and it can back to me this might also be the problem here, so I pulled the board loose and soldered a single strand of stranded copper wire accross the solder joings off this fuse link on the back side of the boards and the airs work just like new, so for about 40 bucks and no parts these a/cs might can be repaired instead of putting out 1000.00 for a new roof a/c
Old 05-01-2009
Forum owner

now thats some good info right there.
i do remember having an ac unit looked at by an AC tech,he found something on a board that was burned,we re-soldered it and fixed it.
i can't remember what it was that was burned..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-07-2009

Default Leaky roof AC units

Can anyone address this issue? We have a 1998 41' Wanderlodge. We have replaced the front roof ac unit about a year ago with a low profile unit. Since that replacement we have continually had a problem with it leaking inside the coach. I have found that both the front and the middle ac unit drain condensation into the same drain tube. This may work alright in some climates, but in Florida in the summer with our high humidity, this creates a huge problem. We had it supposedly fixed at our local service area, but now find it is not fixed and I am certain it is because there is too much water being poured into that one drain tube. Was this a common design of the Bluebirds to have only 2 total drain tubes, or did our service person maybe change this at the time the new AC unit was installed? Any suggestions? Also, can we drill holes in the collection pan to let it drain outside and down the side of the coach?
Old 07-07-2009

Chris,

Our 96 has 3 drain tubes. My guess is the installer didn't correctly hook up the drain tubes. You can certainly just drill the pan and let it drain down the side of the coach, but that won't be the best solution for cosmetics. In either case, you'll REALLY need to get it fixed. The inside ceiling has a layer of 5/16 plywood that the ceiling panels are attached to. The panels have a 3/16 plywood layer for rigidity and suuport. All of these will rot fairly quickly. I'm finishing up replacing a section of the 5/16 main plywood and rebuilding (replacing the 3/16 plywood) 3 of the padded roof panels on mine from a leak. I've just got to rebuild the skylight surround trim. At least it will be as good as new, just a bunch of work.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support

Last edited by fxdwg; 07-07-2009 at 10:45 AM. Reason: phat phingers
Old 07-07-2009

I'm surprised that you have a common drain tube for a couple of AC's. Our coach has a drain tube for each of the 4 units. The problem I've had is those tubes plugging. I run a long piece of tubing hooked up to my compressor up the drain tube at least once a year to clean them out.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 07-07-2009

This is great information regarding the circuit board issue. We just replaced the cracked covers over all 3 airs and when we got the coach back the rear air no longer worked and it is the newer type with the digital readout that the former owner had replaced. So we took the coach back to have them look at that last night. I'll call the tech and have him check the circuit board.