Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 05-10-2009
Grand Curmudgeon

Default Ignition switch

Since it's Sunday and NAPA is closed, thought I'd check the collected wisdom of this great group and see if any have sourced an ignition switch for a WB series.

Just removed my malfunctioning ignition switch and it is made by Pollak but they don't show this model in their catalog. Any suggestions where to find one today or tomorrow would be appreciated.

Paul LaZar
St. Augustine, FL
Former owner of Ziggy
97 wb43
Old 05-10-2009
Administrator

The Pollak in our 88FC is 31-139.
http://pollak.thomasnet.com/item/swi...1-139?&seo=110

But it looks like this
http://pollak.thomasnet.com/item/swi...-1453?&seo=110

I think the web pictures are screwed up............. ???????

I had to pre-order from a truck parts store, NAPA does not carry this Pollak. But other switches should fit in a pinch.
Old 05-10-2009
Grand Curmudgeon

Thanks Bill, that looks like the correct one. I will call Pollak in the morning as we are heading out on Fri and right now it's fun starting the bird.

Paul LaZar
St. Augustine, FL
Former owner of Ziggy
97 wb43
Old 05-10-2009

Paul: Try your local Peterbilt Truck parts counter. The bezel from your old switch can likely be transfered to you new switch so you do not alter the looks of your Blue Bird dash panel. The Peterbilt countermen/ladies can be helpful and may send you to another source for the part.

Was your switch getting warm to the touch prior to failure. Is it the 'start' function that is malfunctioning or the "on" position or can you better explain how you determined that the switch was giving trouble.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 05-12-2009
Grand Curmudgeon

Thanks for the advice Dick, but truck dealers don't stock this switch. I have gone to Kenworth, Peterbuilt, Ford truck, Freightliner and GMC truck.

The place to get the switch is INTERNATIONAL, especially the school bus dealers. It appears that school buses (makes sense) use the same switch and the International part number is: 1652306C91. I replaced mine today.

In the for what it's worth dept., I stopped by the BB bus dealer here and they have sent most of their parts back and didn't have the switch nor one that they could find in their parts book.

For the archive, the Pollak part is 31-139 and the International part is 1652306C91.

Now all I have to figure out is how to change the lock cylinder so the keys to the front ignition is the same as the rear ignition switch now that I have changed the front one.

Paul LaZar
St. Augustine, FL
Former owner of Ziggy
97 wb43

Last edited by Paul; 05-12-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2009
Forum Moderator

Paul can you tell us what year BBs the switch you replaced applies to???
Old 05-12-2009
pgchd

Paul, I goggled the PN you listed and a "grainy "picture came up on a school bus parts website. It appears the housing has a "slot" on the outside and in the slot appears to be a "hole". Try shining a flashlight into the hole with a magnifying glass and see if you can find a "detent / button/ etc"(while the key is in different settings)....usually you use a paperclip and press gently in that hole while the switch is in a particular "setting" (sometimes but not always accessory) and the lock and key will slide out of the housing as 1 unit! It's been a while since I did this kind of thing! The slot usually indicates how to align the lock and key (the position setting like accessory as an example) for removing and reinserting it into the housing........(you can practice / play on the old one)....... good luck and thanks for the PN!!!!

Last edited by pgchd; 05-12-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2009
Grand Curmudgeon

Rob,

I don't know how far back it goes, but Bill Pape has an 88FC and his is the same, so I would say at least 88-97 but suspect further back and a bit forward as well.

Paul LaZar
St. Augustine, FL
Former owner of Ziggy
97 wb43
Old 05-12-2009
Grand Curmudgeon

Pete,

Thanks for the cylinder removal info. Someone else said similar, I tried poking an awl into the hole, felt something shift but lock wouldn't come out. Will try it some more.

Paul LaZar
St. Augustine, FL
Former owner of Ziggy
97 wb43
Old 05-12-2009
pgchd

Paul,
Anytime.... sometimes the key needs to be in the "removal/ reinsertion" position when the button is pressed, sometimes you press the button, then turn the key to the removal / insertion position....... don't know about this particular lock but a "brand" of vehicle works the latter way....... good luck!