Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2018
Gardner

Default crackdown on move over law

Several states are cracking down this week on drivers that do not give enough room passing an emergency vehicle.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/94714f5...ice-crack.html
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-24-2018

I have found this interesting and have been contemplating it today while driving around. I just copied this from th Mi Secretary of State website.

Michigan’s Emergency Vehicle Caution Law, which went into effect in 2001, requires that when drivers see a stationary emergency vehicle or tow truck pulled over with its flashing, rotating or oscillating lights on, passing motorists must move over at least one lane or two vehicle widths. If moving over cannot be accomplished, motorists must slow down and pass with caution. Violators face fines or jail.

Moving over one lane is a clear instruction. Slow down & pass with caution is subjective. Theoretically if you are driving 5 or 10 mph OVER the speed limit and you slow down to the speed limit, you have met the requirements of “slow down”.
And if we look,at the definition of caution “alertness and prudence in a hazardous situation; care; wariness:”.

I don’t like vague laws that allow for personal interpretation. I believe using the terms slow down & caution are hard to clearly define.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Tim, Dawn, Grace & Paul Mendenhall
And a handful of dogs and some Alpacas, goats & sheep
Old 07-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M. View Post
I have found this interesting and have been contemplating it today while driving around. I just copied this from th Mi Secretary of State website.

Michigan’s Emergency Vehicle Caution Law, which went into effect in 2001, requires that when drivers see a stationary emergency vehicle or tow truck pulled over with its flashing, rotating or oscillating lights on, passing motorists must move over at least one lane or two vehicle widths. If moving over cannot be accomplished, motorists must slow down and pass with caution. Violators face fines or jail.

Moving over one lane is a clear instruction. Slow down & pass with caution is subjective. Theoretically if you are driving 5 or 10 mph OVER the speed limit and you slow down to the speed limit, you have met the requirements of “slow down”.
And if we look,at the definition of caution “alertness and prudence in a hazardous situation; care; wariness:”.

I don’t like vague laws that allow for personal interpretation. I believe using the terms slow down & caution are hard to clearly define.

Just my 2 cents worth.
The law is not set up for you to drive 5-10 mph over the speed limit, so how is it you come to the conclusion that if you pass a cop at the speed limit you will be ok? To you the law may seem vague. To the cop standing along side of the road it is far from it. The margin of safety isn't as good when you "slow down" in the lane as it is when you move over, but it is better than you passing at 5-10 over or even at the speed limit. Police understand that sometimes you can't move over and have accepted that risk. But at least if you "slow down" you are aware he is there. There are people out there that never see the cop standing along side of the road, with all the lights flashing and run right over them and their cars to boot!! It is too bad that they had to enact a law to get people to move over in the first place. After the loss of three Troopers and about that many civilians in one year, Indiana decided it was time to do something about it.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 07-24-2018
Gardner

I did not mean for this to become controversial. I only meant to warn people to be conscientious and that due to deaths of construction workers and others this law is being targeted. Enough said!
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
The law is not set up for you to drive 5-10 mph over the speed limit, so how is it you come to the conclusion that if you pass a cop at the speed limit you will be ok? To you the law may seem vague. To the cop standing along side of the road it is far from it. The margin of safety isn't as good when you "slow down" in the lane as it is when you move over, but it is better than you passing at 5-10 over or even at the speed limit. Police understand that sometimes you can't move over and have accepted that risk. But at least if you "slow down" you are aware he is there. There are people out there that never see the cop standing along side of the road, with all the lights flashing and run right over them and their cars to boot!! It is too bad that they had to enact a law to get people to move over in the first place. After the loss of three Troopers and about that many civilians in one year, Indiana decided it was time to do something about it.

Rarely will you find me driving the 5 over. But with the amount of miles I drive daily I get passed a lot. But I see a lot of stupid activities when driving. I have moved over a lane when approaching emergency vehicles and have had people pass me on the right. I agree it is a needed law with a lot of people doing things other than driving while at the wheel. I disagree with the “slow down” wording because it is subjective.

Just this morning there was a minor accident. Traffic on the freeway was moving at 3-10mph posted speed limit 70. Traffic was bumper to bumper with obviously little opportunity to “move over”. So the question becomes I slow down or have the traffic conditions already created a sufficient slow down?

Tim, Dawn, Grace & Paul Mendenhall
And a handful of dogs and some Alpacas, goats & sheep
Old 07-24-2018
WanderBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Its still a vague law. I don't think anyone here is arguing against having a law to mandate slowing down or moving over to protect police and other first responders. That's not the argument. The argument is just entirely too subjective whether or not you comply.

Example: I am driving the speed limit (lets say its 65MPH on an interstate) and come upon a trooper with someone pulled over. Due to traffic, I am unable to move over safely and in compliance with the law, I slow down - all the way down to 64MPH. Technically, I have met the requirements of the law but not the spirit. In GA, you'll likely still get a ticket based on what I've seen. It would possibly happen in IN as well. I know of some friends that got tickets after being unable to move over and still having slowed down 10+MPH.

So, assuming I am doing the speed limit when I come upon the trooper (or some other emergency vehicle), how much am I expected to slow down to be in compliance? Is it 5MPH? Is it 20MPH? More? Less? Do I have to guess? Does it just depend on what kind of mood the trooper is in? Is it completely subjective to whatever the trooper decides it is?
Marietta, GA
Old 07-24-2018

I drive our highways for a living every day. There are some real nutballs out here driving ignoring or just ignorant to a common sense law like moving over for an emergency vehicle. Tim is right in my opinion reguarding law clarity. The wording is intended to be vague so it's subject to interpretation and a resulting citation that creates revenue. Revenue you are going to pay because it cheaper than a lawyer.

Don't miss understand, I am all for safety but like anything else, to much of it becomes suffocating and that turns into money for the cause. No John, not politics, just reality. Lol

As a CDL driver I should tell you about a citation I received in Atlanta rush hour traffic going 35MPH for following to close. You want vague? That's it right there. It cost me a grand to keep it off record, and they smiled as they took the cash.

Atlanta traffic has not changed., so I guess I am still following to close.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 07-24-2018

Deleted.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 07-25-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
I did not mean for this to become controversial. I only meant to warn people to be conscientious and that due to deaths of construction workers and others this law is being targeted. Enough said!
Has everyone lost sight of the topic,
It is about safety
or you may get a fine, Yes troopers judgement , trooper is in charge, So pay the fine, if that's what it takes to slow down and use your best judgement.
Old 07-25-2018

Gardner, some are cocked and locked more than others as it relates to asserting there opinion. Debate and discussion is a good thing , it’s healthy , that’s where the exchange of ideas and attitudes are explored . To be politically correct and never enter into any discussion that possibly offends or challenges someone’s position Is akin to censorship. Respectful rhetoric and debate is healthy, otherwise we are a herd. I for one like to know where my fellow man stands on an issue even if I don’t agree.
Craig.haedrich@hotmail.com
717 743-8764
“In a time of deceit, telling the truth becomes revolutionary “
Closed Thread