Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 09-19-2009

After a little research I think your right Pete, The Neutral may cause some problems. at the very least I have an adapter for 30 and 15 amp plugs that the main 50 amp power cord can be plugged into.

Read this article Don posted this earlier, It explains it's straights and weaknesses.

http://www.greatrvstuff.com/2008/11/readers-fire-back-at-power-maximizer.html

As written in the article, we don't stay in may parks, when we do they almost all have 50 amp plugs, the other 98.785% of the time GFI's???? WHUZ THat??? In those cases if you know what's drawing power from which leg you should be fine.
Old 09-19-2009

Darn it Morey! I need one of those to !
Old 09-19-2009

I have this 50 amp adapter box linked below. In San Carlos Mexico last May, the snowbirds had already departed and the park was less than 1/4 full. I was able to pull from 2 different 30 amp outlests for 2 sites - sure helped out.

http://www.tweetys.com/rv50ampcheaterbox.aspx
Old 09-19-2009

One more point: At a pedestal with a 30 amp and a 15 amp GFI, in the past I occasionally unplugged my xantrex true charge 40+ converter/charger from the coach receptacle, and plugged it into the 15 amp gfi outlet instead.

It was one less load on the 30 amp breaker, though I checked wire temp on the 30 amp dogbone and the short heavy extension to to gfi outlet a couple of times for any overheating of the wiring (the wiring to and in the pedestal may be designed for 30 amp only and marginal at that in older parks)

Now with 3 solar panels, I tend to just turn off the converter when I'm using heavier 110 volt amp loads in the coach and let the sun do it's work on the 12 volt side, and occasionally turn the converter back on when other 110v loads are low to top up the batteries if the solar doesn't keep up. Of course we also manage all other loads like instahot, A/C or heater, HW electric heating, etc on the 110v.

We camped in a bunch of 30 amp spaces in Thousand Trails parks over the last 4 months, and wiring in some was old and voltage sagged when heavily loaded by ourselves and other campers. The EMS we installed shut down incoming numerous times for low voltage, and we needed to draw even less than 30 amps many times to stay "in the green" on the voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7880 View Post
I have this 50 amp adapter box linked below. In San Carlos Mexico last May, the snowbirds had already departed and the park was less than 1/4 full. I was able to pull from 2 different 30 amp outlests for 2 sites - sure helped out.

http://www.tweetys.com/rv50ampcheaterbox.aspx
Old 09-19-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Here is my project from a previous thread Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical > Twin 20 amp to 30 amp or 50 amp Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
I finished this project, by using a Eaton / Cutler Hammer CHU1S Weatherproof 50 AMP connector box that I purchased at Lowe's along with the 2 spare 30amp shore power extension cords that I had from my old bus. I removed the 30amp female ends and then wired the 50amp female plug in the box this way below. this will give me the 2 - 30amp to 1 - 50amp adapter.

http://www.pbase.com/image/113615571

Then I rewired the 30amp female plugs that I had removed from the cords described above onto the extra 20AMP shore power cords, that were actually 30amp service shore power cords, with heavy duty 20amp male plugs. I used heavy duty butt connectors and heat shrink tubing and then reinforced the spliced section of the cord with plastic tubing that was then secured with electrical tape to help remove any strain put on the spliced wires. This will give me a 20amp to 30amp adapter for each of the 30amp cords above and while they are quite a bit longer cords than you would gt with a store bought adapters, they will allow the use of different 30amp or 20 amp plugs locate far apart and with the 3 - 10 gauge wiring should limit the loss of voltage for the distance used, plus MORE IS BETTER....right?

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 09-20-2009
Complete Greenhorn

This may be a dumb question, but why not just use one 30 amp cord and a second 15 or 20 amp cord with an adapter into the 30 amp coach receptacle? Two plugs/two cords/two legs, you know where you got what...

1979 FC33 Buddy Luce's bus (looking for a name)

LARGE MARGE - She left me for another man
Old 09-20-2009

The newer birds have only one 50 amp connection point, versus the older FCs with 1 50 and 2 30s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel View Post
This may be a dumb question, but why not just use one 30 amp cord and a second 15 or 20 amp cord with an adapter into the 30 amp coach receptacle? Two plugs/two cords/two legs, you know where you got what...
Old 09-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7880 View Post
The newer birds have only one 50 amp connection point, versus the older FCs with 1 50 and 2 30s.

I have my 2-30 amp male plugs on the 'Bird removed, leaving me with just the 50amp plug also.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 09-20-2009
Timberlake Products Group

Me too John, I eliminated the 30 amp cords/hardware completely (yee ha). I do have a 30 amp adapter for the 50 amp plug. Never really had a problem, just need to carefully manage the power used.

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 09-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokitty View Post
Me too John, I eliminated the 30 amp cords/hardware completely (yee ha). I do have a 30 amp adapter for the 50 amp plug. Never really had a problem, just need to carefully manage the power used.
I used the area where the 30 amp breaker box was located to install the Progressive Industries EEMS-HW50C Surge Protector http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw50c.htm

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11