Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 01-01-2008
Webmaster

Default Adding extra batteries

Tips about both house and engine batteries for 'Birds, plus articles about solar panels and inverters.
  • SOLAR PANELS FEATURE OF THE MONTH
  • Click on NEXT at the right of each page for more details of how some of our forum members have installed solar panels on their 'Birds.
BATTERY MANUFACTURERS

INTERSTATE BATTERIES
Interstate's high-quality product nationwide warranty and overall value make it the top selling Marine/RV battery. Interstate deep cycle and cranking Marine/RV batteries are built with more than 80 years experience in research, design and technology. With Interstate, you have the power to go anywhere.

JOHNSON CONTROLS
Johnson Controls now supplies original equipment batteries for leading automakers, including DaimlerChrysler, Ford, Honda, Nissan, and Toyota. A stable of leading battery brands, including DieHard, Duralast, Interstate, ProStart, and Everstart, along with others, all bear Johnson Controls signature. Aftermarket service is also important, and customers represented in this segment of the market include AutoZone, Interstate Battery, Sears, Wal-Mart, and Costco.
http://www.johnsoncontrols.com

TROJAN BATTERIES
With over 80 years of experience, Trojan Battery Company is the world's leading manufacturer of deep cycle battery technology.

BATTERIES--AND OTHER ELECTRIC STUFF

phred Tinseth © 1999-2002 Reproduction permitted
Web site: http://www.phrannie.org
Old 02-02-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default House Batteries and Inverter

Your storage bays size and locations may be different than on my '82FC35RB model,but here is where the 8 Trojan t-105 HOUSE batteries are located in the third bay back on the drivers side the main engine battery is located in the first bay on the drivers side.

The inverter is located in the fourth bay back on the drivers side, I have added two 3 inch computer type vent fans to the back wall of the compartment and three 3 inch vents in the compartment door, for ventilation while driving, but when I dry camp I usually prop the bay door open to aid in cooling.

I have replaced the inverter shown in the photo above with a larger Vector 3000/6000 watt modified sine wave inverter.

Here is the way that the Main Engine and House batteries are wired.

Here is the way that the House batteries are wired withing the battery compartment

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3d49_1.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	4981  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-30-2010
Gardner

Default Adding extra batteries

I am looking to add two paralell 6 volt batteries to my existing three 12 volt batteries. There is enough room in the left front storage compartment which currently houses the Xantrex inverter/charger. The question is should I install a divider to separate the inverter section from the battery section? I know I need to add a lot of ventalation for the batteries, but should I worry about the same air flow reaching the inverter?

In the future I plan to replace the 3 CAT 12 volt start batteries with 4 parallel deep cycle 6 volt batteries, but for now I just need some extra amp hours for the overnight load in cool weather. (Proheat pump and aux pump running continuously plus the normal shadow loads)
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-30-2010
Timberlake Products Group

Gardner,

I too have a desire to add more battery capacity. My concerns would be mixing up various capacity batteries and types. I personally would not have any batteries enclosed with electronic/electrical equipment of any sort.

Excellent ventilation is a must as you have already stated.

I happen to have an excellent "extra" spot on my FC that will keep me from using up valuable locker space.

Keep us posted

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 03-30-2010
Gardner

Ryan,
The mixing of capacities is something I have thought about. I am just not wanting to buy 6 batteries at the same time. I may find out that that is the only way to go, and then I will hang out till the fall. I kind of thought sharing the battery air with anything else was not a good idea.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-31-2010

Gardner,
I was told by one of the service techs when when I purchased my inverter not to put it in the same space as the batteries. The gasses vented from the batts can corrode the circuts in the unit. That was their line of thought, if that helps you any.
Andy
Old 03-31-2010
Former Bird Owner

Mixing types and sizes of batteries is not likely to result in good service life. Batteries that are mis-matched -- even just by age -- often set up harmful instabilities between them.

Do more research on the issue -- you may find that the best choice requires replacing everything at one time.

As suggested, don't locate electronic components near the batteries. When the batteries are charging and discharging they release fumes that can be highly corrosive -- not what you want near delicate electronics.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 03-31-2010
Gardner

Pete,
It makes sense to keep them separate. It probably won't happen till the summer when I have more time, but less money. I will install a wall between the compartment sections and then I'll have to come up with a platform to put the batteries on, or perhaps a marine battery box. There are ones made for two golf cart batteries and I think it will fit in the space.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 05-12-2010
Timberlake Products Group

Default PT exhaust...

Here is a few pics of the exhaust upgrade on my 6V92. It is entirely in 5" though, as it was 5" stock. The "muffler" is a flowmaster straight through "cherry bomb" type muffler. It really has a nice sound/bark but not obnoxious.

The other pictures are of the new 8 place battery tray. Went from 6 to 8 batteries an I am also installing a 3KW Prosine pure sinewave inverter hence the 400 amp fuse block. Really like the 4 lug junction block too!! It makes for a very clean installation.

Still working on rerouting and eliminating obsolete old wiring, so it is still a work in progress...

Last picture is of the original rotted out battery tray assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_4086.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	607.1 KB
ID:	4976   Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_4090.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	556.2 KB
ID:	4977   Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_4092.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	616.2 KB
ID:	4978   Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_4151.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	598.5 KB
ID:	4979   Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_3776.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	668.2 KB
ID:	4980  

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup

Last edited by Turbokitty; 05-13-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-12-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Thumbs up

Ryan,

Very nice battery tray and increase in house battery power, when all the wiring is completed, be sure to add an updated picture to this thread.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11