Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 04-16-2009

Default BMC Winterizing

Brad,

I have never done this (as I said, my mission is to be in warm places in the winter) but there are drain valves for the hot and cold water lines and Aquahot in the sewer compartment and Aquahot compartment of the BMC. Because the Aquahot does not have a fresh water "tank" but heats by extracting heat from the coolant in the big tank by wrapping fresh water copper tubing around it, it would be critical to get all that tubing blown out after draining if you expect a freeze. As I said, I've not done that but I'm sure someone could tell you how to make sure that happens. And, to state the obvious, I don't think it would be a good idea to run the Aquahot diesel burner or electric heating element if the tubing is drained.

I suppose you could also pump propylene glycol RV antifreeze in the tubing and toilet etc. if you are storing it for the winter. I can't imagine running the Aquahot all winter but it sounds like folks do it.

Best,

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 04-16-2009

I know what you mean about draining the fresh water and all but I get nervous when I see the bills for frozen Aqua Hots. What I have read was the entire unit has to be replaced to the tune of $5,500-$6500 for the unit plus labor. Ouch!! Seems the fresh water is inside a horizontal coil and the winterizing process described by Aqua Hot MUST be followed or damage/freeze may result. Just blowing it out will not protect you. Fortunately, I store my rig at my house inside a metal shop and we rarely have freezing temps here. So I turn the breaker on only when I have to. I sleep better that way.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 04-16-2009

Default About Those Heat Tapes

Jim:
I went back to my bird and looked at the breaker labled "Refrigerator Heat Tape". This time I looked more closely with a flashlight and it appears that someone has written in with a pencil which is almost illegible, the letters "ON". I'm not sure I even have reefer heat tapes but I am going to pull the outside panel off this weekend and inspect. Y'all are absolutely right, these beasts were customized for the customer in the final stages of completion. My breaker says one thing but the switching on and off says another.

The main thing is to make sure the waterline heat tape is disabled.
Old 04-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Hat Guy View Post
Jim:
I went back to my bird and looked at the breaker labled "Refrigerator Heat Tape". This time I looked more closely with a flashlight and it appears that someone has written in with a pencil which is almost illegible, the letters "ON". I'm not sure I even have reefer heat tapes but I am going to pull the outside panel off this weekend and inspect. Y'all are absolutely right, these beasts were customized for the customer in the final stages of completion. My breaker says one thing but the switching on and off says another.

The main thing is to make sure the waterline heat tape is disabled.
Tommy, you probably have it. Just open the outside vent door for the reefer and look inside. There should be a two plug 120v outlet. On mine the reefer is plugged into one position, the heat strip was plugged into the other. That is why when you throw the breaker the reefer does not work; at least on mine that was the case.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 04-16-2009

Default About those heat tapes

Leroy, when you say the "outside vent door" are you referring to the panel accessable from the streetside bay compartment?
Old 04-16-2009

Mine also has a duplex outlet on the back wall of the refrigerator cabinet. The fridge is plugged into one outlet, and the blue heat tape plug is plugged into the other. Turning off the breaker to that receptacle turns off the fridge/heat tape.

To get to this outlet (its on the outside wall) open the refridgerator rear access (lower vent) panel on the side of the coach and look up. A mirror may be needed. Since the location is not convenient or visible, it may be smart to turn off the breaker before trying to pull the plug otherwise your arm may feel like your foot went to sleep.
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.

Last edited by Clueless; 05-05-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-17-2009

Tommy, mine has a louvered door about 18x18 hinged with a twist lock. It is on the curb side because my fridge is there. I could be on the street side if the fridge is there. On mine, just twist the lock and open the door. It shows the fridge cooling coil and other stuff.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 05-04-2010

Default Heat Tape Warning

If you have not searched for "Heat Tape" yet, do so now! It is a shame to learn about the heat tape problem after the fact.
Old 05-04-2010

Whats up with the heat tape?
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.
Old 05-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmp View Post
If you have not searched for "Heat Tape" yet, do so now! It is a shame to learn about the heat tape problem after the fact.
I'm open to input here...and confused for sure. Please share what you are aware of. Thanks!
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com