Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-05-2019

Default Vacuum Break Valve

This post is to let owners know we have a Vacuum Break Valve in our coach and it's location!
Earlier this spring, I attached the the gardened hose to the coach and flushed out the RV Antifreeze from my water lines. As always I checked for any leaks encase I did not clear and fill the water lines properly. ( I forgot on year one, to run the ice maker of the fridge and cracked a valve in the fridge. - But I learned how to remove the fridge -LOL). Well this year on my first outing, after dumping my tanks, I turned on the Waste Tank Sprayer, which helps clean the Black tank. I immediately found out I had a major leak on the curb side from the last compartment. After running to shut off the water at the faucet and opening the compartment door, I found that I had water draining out of the ceiling of the compartment. For the life of me I could not think of why I would have the Tank's Sprayer water line running into the living quarters of the coach! So after touching hose lines I found a 90 degree elbow free turning and making sounds, pulling down on it I was able to pull it free from it's ceiling hole. What I found was PVC pipe which looked like it was shattered.
Next I measured the pipes location to the bedroom window and then took that measurement inside the coach. The measurement indicated that the pipes location was in the front closet compartment.
In the back of the closet is a panel. After removing the panel, I found two PVC pipes and some relay boxes. The PVC pipes attach to a Vacuum Break Valve and Check Valve. The Vacuum Break Valve by my reasoning, is it must be there to allow air into the Waste Tank when we dump and to release the air pressure when the tank fills.

So my fix was to get rid of the PVC and replace it with PEX. No idea why the factory did not use Pex in the first place, since I have PEX in other places. Besides they say PEX does not break when water is frozen in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CEILING.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	62826   Click image for larger version

Name:	PVC.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	62827   Click image for larger version

Name:	TANK COMPARTMENT.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	62828   Click image for larger version

Name:	PANEL REMOVED.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	62829   Click image for larger version

Name:	BEHIND PANEL 1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	62830   Click image for larger version

Name:	BEHIND PANEL 2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	62831   Click image for larger version

Name:	PEX 1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	62832   Click image for larger version

Name:	PEX 2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	62833  
Old 07-05-2019
Administrator

Thanks Gunner , great post & pics
Old 07-05-2019

Probably just on the waste tank irrigation cleaning system. Problem with them is if the cabin pressure gets low or the tank pressure gets high the tank smell gets in the cabin. You can eliminate them and install a presure vac breaker like on an irrigation system or a anti siphon fitting on the hose. the wast tank is vented with large pipes and all the waste runs thru the roof vents. easy to find

Last edited by GregOC; 07-05-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregOC View Post
Probably just on the waste tank irrigation cleaning system. Problem with them is if the cabin pressure gets low or the tank pressure gets high the tank smell gets in the cabin. You can eliminate them and install a presure vac breaker like on an irrigation system or a anti siphon fitting on the hose. the wast tank is vented with large pipes and all the waste runs thru the roof vents. easy to find
I think the odor is why they put the check valve on the out bound side of the vacuum breaker. The check valve would also help the vacuum breaker to seal quicker and reduce leaks. Pressure vacuum breakers like irrigation are designed to be under constant water pressure. There is a spring above the float pushing back against the incoming water pressure, they can have a shut off downstream.

Atmospheric vacuum breakers like the one shown is not supposed to have a shut off downstream.

Tim, Dawn, Grace & Paul Mendenhall
And a handful of dogs and some Alpacas, goats & sheep
Old 07-06-2019

Ok cool. What I ment to post was, just cut it out at the hose clamp sides and don't leave the tank flush hooked up unattended . Treat it like one of the hand held tank wands that also have no ASV