Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Care and Upkeep

Care and Upkeep Let's face it, it has to be done. Have questions of what to do or how to do it, this is the place to talk about it.

Site Search:

Old 07-30-2019

Default water spots

So, hand washed the bird over the weekend which took a number of hours. Worst part was getting the six week old bug splats off the front from the drive up to NY from PA. Of course I was kinda beat when done and since there was no rain in the forecast decided to leave it out overnight and drive it back to the garage in the morning. You guessed it, was raining when I got up the next day Anyway, now I have the dreaded water spots on the windows that I can't get off. Newsletter on WOG from 2011 mentions using wet 0000 steel wool & rain-X extreme window cleaner to remove. Going to try that, but wondering if anyone else has something that works just as well or better?

1988 PT36
6v92, 72k

Old 07-30-2019

I use Invisible Glass Premium Glass Cleaner... seems to be solvent based of some type and does a good job removing water spots and greasy stuff. Available on Amazon or wherever fine cleaning products are sold.
1988 WB40
hasn't been named yet...
Old 07-30-2019

Make a paste of Bar Keepers Friend and distilled water. Cheap and easy to test to see if it works.

I polished every one of my windows for less than 3 $.
Old 07-30-2019

I like the Invisible Glass stuff too. The best glass cleaner known to man as far as I am concerned. Do you ever clean your windows only to find out when the sun shines on them at a certain angle that they are streaked. It won't happen with Invisible Glass. Can be found at most automotive stores or other places like Walmart and such that have automotive sections. If you have stubborn bugs or other really sticky stuff on the windshield the 0000 steel wool works and I have used it too.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 07-30-2019

Default Water stains

I have tried to get the water droplet stains from my side windows with no luck at all. Bronze wool, razor blades, vinegar; nothing works. I am afraid they are etched into the glass. They are invisible from the inside, but unsightly outside. I will try the above-mentioned products. The windshields don’t have these stains.
87 FC SOLD
89 SP SOLD
94 WB SOLD
95 WB 42
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2015 GMC Acadia
207-939-3816
Old 07-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbragdon View Post
I have tried to get the water droplet stains from my side windows with no luck at all. Bronze wool, razor blades, vinegar; nothing works. I am afraid they are etched into the glass. They are invisible from the inside, but unsightly outside. I will try the above-mentioned products. The windshields don’t have these stains.
Have to say I wasn't expecting them to be so difficult to remove. I did try the Invisible Glass Cleaner, but it didn't quite remove them. Maybe I'll try it with the 0000 steel wool.

Thanks all !

1988 PT36
6v92, 72k

Old 07-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffinley View Post
Have to say I wasn't expecting them to be so difficult to remove. I did try the Invisible Glass Cleaner, but it didn't quite remove them. Maybe I'll try it with the 0000 steel wool.

Thanks all !
It sounds like that you may have a lot of lime or other residue from your water that is causing you an issue. Maybe try some CLR on a rag and see what that does. I would be very careful to make sure I didn't get any on the paint. Not sure how it would react with the paint. But CLR will remove lime deposits and other chemicals in a coffee pot or like our shower and faucet heads and Sporlan valves. When I wash my bus I do it either in a pouring rain, where natural pure clean water rinses it and never leaves spots or I use my interior shop faucet that gets its water from a whole house filter and the household softener and a second softener that I carry in the bus along with a whole house filter. So it gets filtered and softened twice. Then I use a leaf blower to blow it dry and I save myself a lot of work and never have issues with spots on the glass or the paint. I do have the constant drips from the awnings, rub rails and other similar places. Those just have to be dealt with with a spray on detailer and a quick wipe after they are done dripping. These buses are a challenge to keep clean and looking nice that is for sure.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 07-30-2019

Had the same problem. Used chrome polish and a good rag. Worked maybe a quarter of the glass at a time. Took a good bit of elbow grease and patience but windows looked like new. Work it in good, wipe off and then buff a little with a clean rag.
803-530-2591
Old 07-31-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark b View Post
Had the same problem. Used chrome polish and a good rag. Worked maybe a quarter of the glass at a time. Took a good bit of elbow grease and patience but windows looked like new. Work it in good, wipe off and then buff a little with a clean rag.
Thanks Mark. I’ll try the chrome polish.
87 FC SOLD
89 SP SOLD
94 WB SOLD
95 WB 42
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2015 GMC Acadia
207-939-3816
Old 08-04-2019

Tried the White Diamond chrome polish, only did a small section of window so far but seems to work well! Also bought an RV filter to hook up to the hose for washing the bird, and tried the rain-X spot free car wash when I just washed it - good news is that the area that I had just cleaned with the polish didn't spot up again !! Thanks for the suggestion

1988 PT36
6v92, 72k