Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Most Frequently Asked Questions About Operating Systems

Most Frequently Asked Questions About Operating Systems Here you will find some of the most frequently asked questions about the operating systems on a 'Bird. If you have one that you think should be added place it in here.

Site Search:

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Default 83 PT38 water heater

my water heater just quit working on electric mode (shore power).
since it's a nightmare to access, I can't see if it has a replaceable element or not. Like the water system in general, it's overly complicated.
I'm thinking of replacing it with a simple electric water heater, but am unsure how to gain access to safely remove this one.
Any suggestions? I live in California where these are scarce and can't seem to find anyone qualified to work on it!!
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Water heaters can be a PIA. Not sure if your 87 was like my 89'
I climbed in the closet and could remove the wall in front of the WH.
There are L-Brackets behind the walls that hold them in place.
Once you remove the walls it is a lot easier to work on the WH.
Maybe you just need to push the reset button or just replace the element.

Good Luck
1989 WB 2017-2019 Sold
2018 Ford F150 4x4
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Evidently there is a world of difference. My 87 has a cabinet that only a very small monkey could climb into! I have removed the floor of this tiny space and the water heater is underneath. but to even see the connections requires removing the right side wall as well and even then, it sits against the partition separating this closet with the one next to it and I believe the heat exchanger that uses engine coolant to heat the water while driving is under that closet and I can't see if there is ant physical connection. also there is no reset button anywhere that I can see and the element doesn't appear to be replaceable. If it has a replaceable element, then it is hidden somewhere else I can't see.
I appreciate the reply, but I have to see if anyone else has info on the 87pt's.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Not the best write up...but better than none. I captured notes for several years in case our water heater need to come out. It finally happened.

1987 PT38 R&R Water Heater
Versa Valve…VPS-3302-155-210
Seal Kit…3301-155 VSW-3301-WS

Cabinet(s)…
Removed glass door, light fixture push button (let it hang by wire), rear/upper 90 cover, drivers wall, floor.

Old Water Heater…
Measured glass door opening. I found if I remove the electric heater/board (that is located between the water heater and glass door) the water heater can (could) be raised up to the point of getting it out through the glass door opening. “Could”…junk in the water made it weigh more than I could lift up reaching in. I did not disconnect the heater and control wiring, just kept them out of the way.

Shut power and water off to water heater, electric heater, etc. Cut the zip ties so heater can be removed.

Drain water heater…

Disconnect all water connections. Remove hold down screws at base of water heater.

I drew a vertical line at each corner of the opening down to the bed floor. Stapled up each side of the line. Followed the lines with a Sawzall. Made for easy heater removal.

New Water Heater…
Buy, or make, a tray for the new water to sit in, with a drain hose fitting, and hose going through the floor. I did not do this.

Kuuma 11810, 11811, 11812 - Ordered the 11812 six-gallon water heater with motor aid connections at the rear, same configuration as old heater…eleven-gallon is overkill.

Could ordered 190* bypass switch part # 90037, a hi-temp by pass and you don't have that chore of getting in there and find the reset button. Will know about needing this after using the heater a few times.

Versa-Valve…
Remove internal parts and reuse shell. WASTE OF TIME. Tossed it.
Plug the winterize air blow out plastic line, and the small copper Versa Valve line.

Install the six-gallon (or eleven-gallon) water heater…

I ordered ½” "DERPIPE Silicone Tubing to replace the hot water line. It’s ¾” OD. High temp above 400 degrees. Will replace the hot water out line with this. https://www.amazon.com/DERPIPE-Silic.../dp/B07PGT81BP

Buy fittings to adapt the above hose for cold-in and hot-out. Home Depot had them.

Made two aluminum plates to span across the two Sawzall cuts…drill a few holes in the plates…and put everything back together.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com