Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 6 Days Ago

Default Replacing FC Shocks - Still Recommend Koni's?

Fellow Wanderers,

I've got to be honest - I really don't like the way my FC-35 rides. In my recent trip to Chicago from NJ, my wife tried to sleep in the back bed (she has health problems). It was very difficult for her to do, as she felt every bump for nearly 2,000 miles.

I run a non-profit group with a 1990 Thomas school bus with rear air suspension (two bags per axle) and front spring suspension. It rides so much nicer than my Wanderlodge!

I think 1982 was the first year that air suspension was available in a FC? I'm guessing there was a reason that later Wanderlodges did not have the same Neway 4 bag per axle suspension.

I'm going to start by changing the shocks on my rig. I was looking at WOG and see a lot of 10-year old posts recommending Koni adjustable shocks. In fact, I came across my own post from 2007 when mine were last changed!

A decade later, are the Koni's still the way to go, or is there newer technology that works better? Any suggestions?

Has anybody on this list tried replacing that Neway air suspension with something newer and better?

Thanks everyone!
Old 6 Days Ago

Good question Andy. I suspect most of the general board population is asleep right now. I also have an FC and am curious as to what they may say. Good luck!

Fort Myers, Florida

1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"
1991 Toyota 4Runner TOAD or
1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 6 Days Ago

I don't think there was any real changes to the suspension on the air ride FC. Of course the BMC had a Spartan Chassis and the 380 was completely different. As far as I can tell there was no difference on the SP rear suspension. 4 bags/2 shocks.

I would replace the Koni's with new adjustable units. You might also check your ride height.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 6 Days Ago

Here is where I bought my Koni shocks from for my 1982 FC. www.midwestbusparts.com They had the best price around when I was looking. Made a huge difference in the ride after the new shocks. I don't remember the part numbers off hand though. Should be able to do a search on here for the numbers. Good luck.
1982 FC35 SB-----SOLD.
Old 6 Days Ago

1980 is the first year for air ride. Maybe your shocks are bad, maybe they aren't so first I would check your tire pressure as people tend to run 85-105 psi on the rear, I run at 100, could run it lower. Check your ride height, the 1982 has adjustable rods (1980 are fixed). I'm guessing that the tires are too hard. I do run koni's
Cape Cod,ma
Old 5 Days Ago

Check the basics first.

Get your coach weighed as you actually use it and with the information you will KNOW what your front & rear axles are carrying. Check your tire makers website which will give specific air inflation pressures based on weight. The BB factory pressure recommendation is a good reference point...but likely NOT the inflation you need based on actual weight...and 10# does make a difference in ride. Inflate to tire makers spec's.

Our 33' FC needs H rated tires on the front. G are fine for the rear. It's all about the weight on the axle.

The front shocks on our coach are OEM KONIS at just under 200K miles/34 years. Last time I checked them they were fine. I did adjust them. I never have heard of a better shock option for the front than OEM or similar. The rear shocks I inspected when I checked the front and one shock was shot. Replaced both rears with KONI FSD as they were the rage then...so far, they are doing fine. After the change we could tell the rear ride was better and also had less corner lean. Other rear shock suitable options I'm sure exist.

I would also check my air suspension...are the bags getting the proper air pressure? Ride height set correctly?

I'd venture to say that proper tire rating, the right tire inflation and good functioning shocks will improve the ride.

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 5 Days Ago
Forum owner

I'm not a fan of the Koni FSD shocks,they did not work for me.
I have driven and ridden in many FCs,i thought they rode quite nice.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 5 Days Ago

I put new Koni's on my coach when I bought it a few years ago. The front make a difference in handling. Rear has FSD's and they are ok. I didn't notice much difference.

The SP rides much better because the air bags are larger. The FC's have very small air bags with high pressure so the ride is firm. Any of the newer coaches are taller and even have outboard mounted air bags. The larger the bag, the more isolated the ride typically.
1978 GMC Royale 26' (2015-2016)
1982 FC-33SB 250HP (2007-2009)
Old 5 Days Ago
Forum owner

I put upsized bags on my lxi,if i had an fc i would do the same.
Its worth the money (to me).
The only Birds with out board bags are the 380 and 450.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 5 Days Ago

The bags on the rear of an FC are a reasonable size. Not sure if you could put a bigger bag there. The front is tight as you know. Hardly any room for your hand. The 12R tires make some difference and perhaps looking at tire pressures would yield some improvement. I also noticed my Michelins ride softer than the Bridgestones. Some tires are very hard rubber.
1978 GMC Royale 26' (2015-2016)
1982 FC-33SB 250HP (2007-2009)