Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Highway, Road and Weather Forecast and Radar Conditions

Highway, Road and Weather Forecast and Radar Conditions Sometimes as we travel throughout the country it may help to know what the current Highway, Road and Weather conditions are. Here is a good place to list current conditions and also good and bad roads that you have found in your travels You will also find here links to all of the USA road conditions and Weather Forecast and Radar condition web sites.

Site Search:
Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default ELPASO, TEXAS BYPASS

ELPASO, TEXAS BYPASS
Loop 375 Woodrow Bean Trans Mountain Highway

Here is another route that you might keep in mind to take through El Paso, if the traffic is heavy going through town, it will take you around the North side of town and up over the Transmountain Highway.
Interstate 10 to Exit #34 (Texas 375) - Texas 375 NW (Woodrow Bean / Transmountain Highway) - Interstate 10 Exit #6 - Interstate 10 WEST.

This will take you around El Paso, crossing parts of Ft. Bliss and Biggs Army Air Base, but there will not be any check points to go through for the bases, as this is an extended area for target practice and development for the bases, you won't encounter any live or dummy ammo, unless you get way off of the highway, it is a safe route and is four lane most of the way.

There are a couple of Wal Mart Supercenters located on this route one near the intersection of Texas Loop 375 and Montwood Drive, go left onto Montwood Drive and the Wal Mart Supercenter will be on the left about a block on North Zaragoza Rd, this is about 4 miles from the I-10 exit #34 and there is another one near the intersection of Texas Loop 375 and US 54 at the beginning of the grade going up over the mountains.

If there is fresh snow, or ice in the area, DO NOT take this bypass as the part of Transmountain highway that actually goes up over the mountain may be closed to traffic. The steep grade going up over the mountain actually starts just after you cross US 54, it climbs 1200 feet from the base of the mountain, about a distance of 5 mile to the top of the pass (Smugglers Pass).

We always took the real big and heavy loads around El Paso this way, the only slow part is where it actually crosses the mountain, Check out; http://www.texasfreeway.com/ElPaso/p...mountain.shtml
There are a couple of pull off's going down the west side of the pass on the left side that are big enough for the 'Bird they are not exactly level but close, I can't recall any on the right side, we always just kept going on to the Flying J at Anthony, Texas on I-10 Exit #0.

Here is a link to a web site that has photos of different sections of the bypass;
http://www.texasfreeway.com/ElPaso/p...mountain.shtml Check out the December 1969 Texas Highways Magazine article part of that link.

I can't recommend a campground in the El Paso area, as I always stayed at the Ft. Bliss Army FamCamp it is very nice, which can only be used by active duty and retired military personnel. http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/in...=186&Itemid=38

ALTERNATE EL PASO BYPASS

Use the first posted bypass route using the 375 Loop, then follow the directions below. Both Woody and I have used this Alternate Bypass Route, US 54 is a 4 lane then the remainder of the the route is 2 lanes until you get to Interstate 10.

IF YOU DON’T WANT TO DRIVE UP AND OVER THE FRANKLIN MOUNTAINS ON TRAN MOUNTAIN HIGHWAY THERE IS AN ALTERNATE ROUTE, WHEN YOU GET TO THE BASE OF TRANS MOUNTAIN HIGHWAY AT THE WAL MART SUPERCENTER AND RIGHT BEFORE THE OVERPASS, TURN NORTH ON US 54 / GATEWAY BLVD.THEN GO APPROXIMATELY 1-1/2 MILES AND TURN NORTH ONTO MARTIN LUTHER KING JR, BLVD / TEXAS FM 3255 (EXIT #31)

IT TURNS INTO NEW MEXICO 213 CONTINUE TO NEW MEXICO 404 APPROXIMATELY 8 MILES FROM US 54, TURN LEFT ONTO NEW MEXICO 404 AND FOLLOW THAT APPROXIMATELY 8 MILES TO INTERSTATE 10 EXIT # 162

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	US54 - FM3255 -.213 - 404 m.jpg
Views:	1901
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	20632   Click image for larger version

Name:	ELPASO ALTERNATE.jpg
Views:	2428
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	20633  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Closed Thread