Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 1 Week Ago

Default seat belts for car seats and booster chairs

This is an old thread, but I have some additional questions. Modern carseats have 3 points necessary, and for none of them are seatbelts. Modern cars have hooks that are accessed between the seat back and bottom.
there is also a strap that goes over the back of the seat and hooks in a ring. I'm not sure how this is accomplished in a sedan (or a motorhome) but our CRV has this built into the floor in the back.

Has anyone outfitted their bus for modern car seats? I have some seatbelts, but that's not good enough for my daughter (their mother).

Also, are the driver, passenger and other seat belts in a Wanderlodge bolted to the frame?

Thanks

Last edited by Stick Miller; 1 Week Ago at 11:48 AM.
Old 1 Week Ago

Seat belts are not bolted to the frame, they mount to strong points on the body.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Moments

Some of those "hook" points on modern cars are for baby car seats.

John & Aleda Ellsworth
A wide-body, living in a narrow bus.
1985 FC-35-SB "Color Us Gone"
john.m.ellsworth@gmail.com
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Emu View Post
Some of those "hook" points on modern cars are for baby car seats.
That’s what I need to install. For my grandchildren.
Old 1 Week Ago

Stick

The bottom line is that regulators do not require RV's to accommodate child safety seats, so they don't. The main issue is that, no matter how well anchored they are, infant/child car seats are not designed to be used in a side- or rear-facing position. So, even if you retrofit the passenger car "latch" system on your couches, it's not going to provide the crash protection you're daughter is probably looking for.

As with any safety-related issue, it's possible to find opinions on every side of the question, and there are plenty of RVers on the internet who have jury-rigged solutions they think are acceptable. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide what is "safe" for your grandkids.

Jim
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Miller View Post
This is an old thread, but I have some additional questions. Modern carseats have 3 points necessary, and for none of them are seatbelts. Modern cars have hooks that are accessed between the seat back and bottom.
there is also a strap that goes over the back of the seat and hooks in a ring. I'm not sure how this is accomplished in a sedan (or a motorhome) but our CRV has this built into the floor in the back.

Has anyone outfitted their bus for modern car seats? I have some seatbelts, but that's not good enough for my daughter (their mother).

Also, are the driver, passenger and other seat belts in a Wanderlodge bolted to the frame?

Thanks

Those hooks on the cars seat are for cars that have the latch(lower anchor and tether)system to hook into. It has the rings you speak of and a third to hook into in the back of the seat or in the rear somewhere. You can still use the seat in older cars or airplanes with the seat belt pass through in the back of the seat. Buses react differently in a crash than do cars. Having the seat in the back on the couch you are sitting sideways which I don’t believe the seat was designed for as another poster has mentioned. It’s still safer than being unbelted. I think the best seats to be forward facing or rear facing (depending on the age of child and the car seat) are the dinette or the passenger seat. I moved my child’s seat to the passenger seat, hooked it through the back of the seat as the seat was designed for and sat in it which compressed the seat an tightened the seat belt, that seat was solid.
You can read a bit about the dynamics of a bus vers a car in a crash, I’m not sure if it will help with your discussion with your daughter. We survived with out car seats but I do see the benefits of them with my kid, I was rear ended in my car and it definitely saved my kid from injury.
You can read more on your specific seat in the manual for the seat, also fire departments and police departments sometimes have individuals that will help you install the seat correctly and instruct you.
They are also selling brackets for the three point harness and latch system, I kinda think that’s over kill but obviously if it puts your daughter at ease and allows your grandchildren to enjoy trips with you, totally priceless.
Old 1 Week Ago

I think I’m reading that, in lieu of the side rings (between the bottom and the back of the seats) we might be able to secure the car seat by running the existing seat belts through them. A rear anchor would have to be installed.

Both of these kids face forward. Both would be seated on the forward facing side of the dinette.