Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 11-04-2019

Default Shadow or Depression on M450 Side

Seller is telling me this is a shadow, but to me looks like a depression.

Ideas or causes?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5B8D3639-59D3-42E3-80CC-006C9A30FC88.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	65035  
Old 11-04-2019

Looks like a derpession, you can verify with a straight edge 48 inch level.
Old 11-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmp View Post
Looks like a derpession, you can verify with a straight edge 48 inch level.

So I'm not there and unable to travel for a while.. Would that be a cosmetic issue or might it be structural?
Old 11-04-2019

Cosmetic dent, I’m guessing a 3-5k dent) the dent is easy to fix, painting to match is another issue..
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 11-04-2019

Hard to tell. Looks like a “dent” that based on the one pic, may be cosmetic not structural. Impossible to verify though without an in-person inspection. As a poor substitute for this I’d recommend you have seller take/provide you with several pictures of the “shadow” area from different angles and include ones with side lighting. However, IF that area turns out to be more than a shadow, how do you trust that seller is being truthful about other “shadows” on the coach? .

The above said and realizing some have successfully purchased coaches long distance, I would NEVER buy one without seeing it in-person. Perhaps you could find a trusted inspector or a fellow Bluebird owner who is close, and have them take LOTS of pictures for you? I’m not talking about the standard glamour shots! I’m talking about closeups of any suspect area (maybe a hundred or so pictures!). I have done this for fellow WOG’ers who were considering a coach in AZ.

Lastly, recommend you read a paper I wrote > 5 years ago. Note #13 in my lessons learned! You might get something out of it and if not, it was free - https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=20482.

Good luck with your search!
Old 11-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
Hard to tell. Looks like a “dent” that based on the one pic, may be cosmetic not structural. Impossible to verify though without an in-person inspection. As a poor substitute for this I’d recommend you have seller take/provide you with several pictures of the “shadow” area from different angles and include ones with side lighting. However, IF that area turns out to be more than a shadow, how do you trust that seller is being truthful about other “shadows” on the coach? .

The above said and realizing some have successfully purchased coaches long distance, I would NEVER buy one without seeing it in-person. Perhaps you could find a trusted inspector or a fellow Bluebird owner who is close, and have them take LOTS of pictures for you? I’m not talking about the standard glamour shots! I’m talking about closeups of any suspect area (maybe a hundred or so pictures!). I have done this for fellow WOG’ers who were considering a coach in AZ.

Lastly, recommend you read a paper I wrote > 5 years ago. Note #13 in my lessons learned! You might get something out of it and if not, it was free - https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=20482.

Good luck with your search!

Van,

You caused me to make my very first entry into my "new" BB folder on my computer. Well done!!

I read it all. I also will not buy a coach I can't put my hands on. But we have had some friends that have done it in our Alpine club.

Thank you!
Old 11-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRVAlpine View Post
Van,

You caused me to make my very first entry into my "new" BB folder on my computer. Well done!!

I read it all. I also will not buy a coach I can't put my hands on. But we have had some friends that have done it in our Alpine club.

Thank you!
I'm going out on a limb here, but I don't think it is a dent. After looking at the "complete" photo, I think that the paint has some characteristics that when the sun hits it just right it may look like a dent. To me, there are a lot of "splotches" in the rest of the paint, which leads me to my conclusion. Some metalic colors will do that. I have spent over 30 years as an ISP Detective looking at pics to determine the "Who dun it" of a crime scene. Photos can be extremely deceiving and that is why we took pics from every angle possible. Like the others have said, don't let this stop you from looking further, but you will know when you see it in person.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 11-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
I'm going out on a limb here, but I don't think it is a dent. After looking at the "complete" photo, I think that the paint has some characteristics that when the sun hits it just right it may look like a dent. To me, there are a lot of "splotches" in the rest of the paint, which leads me to my conclusion. Some metalic colors will do that. I have spent over 30 years as an ISP Detective looking at pics to determine the "Who dun it" of a crime scene. Photos can be extremely deceiving and that is why we took pics from every angle possible. Like the others have said, don't let this stop you from looking further, but you will know when you see it in person.

Thanks, Ive asked for more pictures of the area. Because of a recent back surgery I cannot travel for a while.

But I must say Patty and I have the BB bug. In fact she kept saying BB and I said no. Then I decided to investigate a bit more. Now I'm interested because there weren't many built, have BIG windows, are all metal and the WOG. I've talked to a few M450 owners here on WOG and they have been very helpful. We were sure that we wanted a '02-'04 Newell, but after looking at 5-6 of them we have pretty much ruled them out. Still we have never set foot in a BB but we are getting close. Have 3 years before we retire and we desire to get one all dialed and make it ours.

Still a lot of learning. Do I want a Cat or a DD, or does the floor-plan and condition matter more than the brand of powerplant. Two slides or three. So many unknowns yet.

The WOG is much like our Alpine group on iRV2. We as a group can trouble-shoot almost anything. That is another plus.
Old 11-05-2019

I think what you are seeing is the reflection of the red table.

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 11-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRVAlpine View Post
So I'm not there and unable to travel for a while.. Would that be a cosmetic issue or might it be structural?
Just ask for pictures from different angles!

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org