Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Campgrounds, RV Parks, Other Places to Sleep, or TO STAY AWAY FROM

Campgrounds, RV Parks, Other Places to Sleep, or TO STAY AWAY FROM Post your questions or comments here about your favorite campground, RV park, rest area, Walmart or Cracker Barrel parking lot where you like to get your shut eye, or WHERE TO STAY AWAY FROM.

Site Search:

Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRasman View Post
https://sanibelcamping.com/

The have a tiny zoo. Nice spots and walk to the Gulf
Lots of Rules. No washing of vehicles and as Nancy said NO DOGS!

Best Regards,
Dan Leftwich
Somers NY
1987 35FC
"BaBar"
Old 1 Week Ago

If you can get out to Cabbage Key. Great little island with good food and drinks. Old Florida, cool.
2002 Country Coach (SOB)
94 BMC 37 - Sold 2017
86 Prevost -40 (Royal) Sold
1970 National 36 - Sold
98 Jeep TJ
Old 1 Week Ago

He would never leave u

Danny Doster
RAINBOW CITY, AL
1990 Wide Body 40

http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=575
Old 1 Week Ago

When I was a kid, my parents and several of their friends and families would trek to SSK every Christmas. They all had conversion vans which they converted themselves. Yes, carpet was put on the walls. In fact, my father took the whole roof off a econoline and put a pop-up roof on so we could sleep in the most uncomfortable hammocks ever. I usually slept in a tent and we brought a 16 foot Hobie Cat down to sail everyday. In addition, we would bring all our Christmas lights and live yes live Christmas trees from our indiana home with all the families down and decorate the sites. They had a competition for decorations every year which combined we won several times . I climbed every tree or mangrove tree on that island. Many gone now because of hurricane.

True story. I will never forget when a “fancy” motor home would roll in and camp near our sites. The only one that stuck with me was a mid 80s wanderlodge which was new at the time. I was in awe and always hoped I might own one someday. I snapped at the chance when I bought mine and remember fondly the memory of that original bus.

SSK is awesome. Best location ever for the keys .it has changed hands many times since those days but I spent at least 10 dollars every year in quarters at the arcade and Santa’s sleigh would somehow breakdown every year in marathon and he would press on arriving in a center council boat in the marina .
260-414-3253
Jonadair68@yahoo.com
Old 1 Week Ago
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon 1968 View Post
When I was a kid, my parents and several of their friends and families would trek to SSK every Christmas. They all had conversion vans which they converted themselves. Yes, carpet was put on the walls. In fact, my father took the whole roof off a econoline and put a pop-up roof on so we could sleep in the most uncomfortable hammocks ever. I usually slept in a tent and we brought a 16 foot Hobie Cat down to sail everyday. In addition, we would bring all our Christmas lights and live yes live Christmas trees from our indiana home with all the families down and decorate the sites. They had a competition for decorations every year which combined we won several times . I climbed every tree or mangrove tree on that island. Many gone now because of hurricane.

True story. I will never forget when a “fancy” motor home would roll in and camp near our sites. The only one that stuck with me was a mid 80s wanderlodge which was new at the time. I was in awe and always hoped I might own one someday. I snapped at the chance when I bought mine and remember fondly the memory of that original bus.

SSK is awesome. Best location ever for the keys .it has changed hands many times since those days but I spent at least 10 dollars every year in quarters at the arcade and Santa’s sleigh would somehow breakdown every year in marathon and he would press on arriving in a center council boat in the marina .
Thats a feel good story for sure,thanks!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon 1968 View Post

I love it Jon. Memories are what life is all about. My kids still recall our trips in a 19' class C across the country. They recall the details even better than I do. They are 50 years old now and telling their kids about the trips. I had a similar experience in York, NE on our way home, where a Prevost parked next to us and I saw this guys pull out his kid's bikes from under the storage bay and hook up his sewer hose and when done wash his hands at the faucet in the bay. All the while I wasn't able to bring the kid's bikes because there wasn't room. My storage was a '53 Ford pickup bed that I converted to a trailer and it was full. When I hooked up the sewer hose I tapped on the window and had the wife shoot some soap into my hands and went to the park supplied faucet to rinse. That was the day I told my family we will have a "coach" some day. I actually never saw a Wanderlodge until later in life, but as soon as I did and began to research them, I was hooked. Still am

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME 2020 to Present
'93 WLWB 2008 to 2020
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 1 Week Ago

Jim,

That is great stuff. I had a similar experience years ago when I had an older bounder. I was working on the caliper that had locked up in Colorado Springs and a new Newell pulling an F350 pulled in as I was working. Turns out the guy was a professional bull rider.
He looked at me as I was working and said they thought about a bounder when they were buying . Without missing a beat, I looked up at him and said I’ll trade you straight up right now. We had a laugh for sure.

As you said. I am still hooked as well.
260-414-3253
Jonadair68@yahoo.com
Old 1 Week Ago

It is very nice and family friendly. There have been
About 15 people drop by wanting to check out the bird.

Draws a crowd.

Danny Doster
RAINBOW CITY, AL
1990 Wide Body 40

Old 1 Week Ago

Let me know if you need any ideas. I am 1/2 hour away.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 5 Days Ago

WIFI at SSK was poor and cell coverage was poor also unless u had a cell booster.

Wifi here at Pine Island is very good,

tnx chris

have great day

Danny Doster
RAINBOW CITY, AL
1990 Wide Body 40