Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 06-23-2012

Talking I've gone and done it now!!!!I bought the '85PT40!!

I guess I should have titled this new thread "THE BLUE HOLE",I did it now, I sought the '85PT40 that was in Kingston, TN! I know, I should have bought on already done, but i couldn't just let her sit there and deteriorate any longer, so I decided to deteriorate my wallet. We went to get her Friday 6/22/12, checked antifreeze, oil, tires looked really bad, but we waited till early evening thinking less chance of blow out. Mind you, this thing has OLD 1990'S FUEL IN HER. We started up I40 E toward home, she ran OK till the racor gauge went to red, I got down to 10MPH going up a slight hill, decided to pull off when we heard a hiss, hiss hiss passenger side tire going down. Got off exit started to turn right and bus stalled and would not start! Here I was with a 40' bus blocking traffic at a traffic light, wife gets on phone with Safco to get wrecker. I opened filter top, pull filter put new one in and fill with ATF, go to start from rear and would not turn over, thought I locked engine up, but found I left in gear, she started right up!! We blocked trafic for a good 30 minutes! She ran good with a new fuel filter, right to WEST TOWN mall parking lot where she sits as I type this. God had his hand on my son and I because the tires are A LOT WORSE than I thought, I am so glad that none of the tires blew out, even though I drove slow. So, I would like your help on what type of tires(leaning toward Michelins), and should I go with 11R or 12R(has 12Rs now). I am still excited about our old dinosaur and I hope I can bring her back to the glory she deserves.
Old 06-23-2012
Administrator

Congratulations, John,

This is going to be fun and exciting, great job with the first filter change.
Michelin, Toyo, Bridgestone, then a lot of others, You may need to order & wait to get eight matching tires,
with fresh dates. I suggest sticking with 12R the heavier load rated tire,
Old 06-23-2012

Think it came from Wanderlodge with 12s. I would keep that size. Congratulations on the buy.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 06-23-2012

I would get it home and get the mechanicals sorted out way before I worried about tires. But that's just me....good luck with the project!
VB 1570
Old 06-23-2012

Congrats!
Fruita Colorado
Old 06-23-2012
RV Appraiser

[QUOTE=. Got off exit started to turn right and bus stalled and would not start! We blocked trafic for a good 30 minutes! [/QUOTE]

Been there done that a few times myself, find a NAPA or Carquest and stock up on a few RACOR filters to get you home, I bet my left one your going to have an algae problem; use some biocide. Tires, tires, tire, DON'T ask for opinions but you spoke of a good choice. Now would be a time to go metric, they are more available and are about 50 - 70 bucks cheaper per tire and you'll need 8 so do the math that's a lot of fuel. Shane says his metric ride better and they felt pretty good to me when I rode with him to Q a couple years back. Welcome aboard & your off to a good start on emptying that wallet
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 06-23-2012

Yes. when the wife said OK I went ahead and pulled the trigger, I hope she doesn't pull the trigger on me later! I have been talking with Shane and he told me about the metric being better. I like Michelins, but I think my wallet would do better with the Hankook but I don't know where to find them around Knoxville, Tn. I figured that if we bought an 80's PT that we would redo the interior anyway and probably tires, so I figured at least we will fix this one up the way we want it, if $$ holds out. I would wait on the other tires, but they all are so bad I am afraid to even have it towed because the rears could blow out.

Last edited by 442john; 06-23-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2012

John, There must be someone around Knoxville with a Landoll trailer to move that coach. I'd start calling the Wrecker Services. Get it home and then worry about the correct tires.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 06-23-2012

I would haul it to my storage lot, but that would cost me an extra $300-$500 at least, but I will call around, I figure I can put that $$ toward tires. Plus, if coach turns crappier than I think it is, it will at least have new tires I have heard of being car poor but I am tire poor, I have to pick up 6 Michelins 225/70/R19.5 at Sams for the Land Yacht.
Old 06-23-2012

Hey John, I've been told there is a significant WOG Michelin Advantage Program discount available through Michelin if you jump through the right hoops.

Join here http://www.dupreeproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=28 The kind folks at Dupree (Stephen Birtles) will send you an account number that you will need to register your credit card.

Then you need to contact Michelin and register your credit card.

I have done the above but have not yet purchased tires. I plan to do that at RATS. Folks on this list say they have save some good bucks using this program.

Hope this helps out. Congrats on the Blue Hole...hey, We've been looking for a name for the bus! LOL