Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > First-Timers and Newcomers

First-Timers and Newcomers Are you a first-timer, newcomer, or even a "wannabe"? This is the place to get your questions anwered.

Site Search:

Old 09-11-2021

Hal, congratulations on your new Bird, very exciting once you get one, we’ve all been there.
I’m no expert on your no start issue, but what you describe does make sense to me.
I would run 12 volt directly to the fuel solenoid temporary and try it, if it starts and runs like that would tell you.
Good luck! Let us know how you make out.
“Fosterlodge”
Old 09-11-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
Hal, congratulations on your new Bird, very exciting once you get one, we’ve all been there.
I’m no expert on your no start issue, but what you describe does make sense to me.
I would run 12 volt directly to the fuel solenoid temporary and try it, if it starts and runs like that would tell you.
I’ll give that a try this afternoon and let you know how it goes. Thanks
Old 09-11-2021
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hspencer View Post
So I put my thinking cap on and have come up with a theory based on my limited experience and the information I have available. While troubleshooting I removed the shifter housing that is also the home of the ignition switch which I noticed was not original. So here’s what I know

1- new ignition switch
2- bad started solenoid probably from overcranking
3- engine won’t start after replacing starter
4- I checked and have power to the fuel solenoid at the injector pump with key in run position

5- I can feel resistance build when I pump the fuel primer

I’m thinking when the ignition switch was replaced that it was wired wrong and I have power to the fuel solenoid in the run position but not in the start position, the one time it fire was while releasing the key from the start position so possibly the solenoid was energized while the motor still spinning. If it was wired wrong it would make sense that someone would overheat the starter. One problem leads to another.

Does this seem like a logical assumption?

Yes,and no.
It may mean someone was chasing there tail and replaced the switch when it didn't need replacing.
But the switches do have a reputation for going bad (cheap part,only lasted 30 years)

What i would do,and lots of other guys do,is add a push button starter switch and a toggle switch to turn the fuel solenoid on and off.
New wires,new switch and add a hefty relay going to the fuel solenoid.
Save yourself some grief,chasing wiring problems under the dash of an FC is tough and you may cause more problems fixing old problems.
At least you can do that to get it running and get it home.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-11-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Yes,and no.
It may mean someone was chasing there tail and replaced the switch when it didn't need replacing.
But the switches do have a reputation for going bad (cheap part,only lasted 30 years)

What i would do,and lots of other guys do,is add a push button starter switch and a toggle switch to turn the fuel solenoid on and off.
New wires,new switch and add a hefty relay going to the fuel solenoid.
Save yourself some grief,chasing wiring problems under the dash of an FC is tough and you may cause more problems fixing old problems.
At least you can do that to get it running and get it home.
Solid advice. I have some extra relays from upgrading the headlights on my Wagoneer to eliminate the load on the headlight switch, they’re a heavy duty automotive style relay, would that be sufficient?
Old 09-11-2021
Forum owner

Quote:
Solid advice. I have some extra relays from upgrading the headlights on my Wagoneer to eliminate the load on the headlight switch, they’re a heavy duty automotive style relay, would that be sufficient?
Now your thinking!
Yes,i think those relays will be fine.
You will need more of them down the road,when you add replays to the Bird headlights.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-11-2021

Quote:
So I put my thinking cap on and have come up with a theory based on my limited experience and the information I have available. While troubleshooting I removed the shifter housing that is also the home of the ignition switch which I noticed was not original. So here’s what I know

1- new ignition switch
2- bad started solenoid probably from overcranking
3- engine won’t start after replacing starter
4- I checked and have power to the fuel solenoid at the injector pump with key in run position

5- I can feel resistance build when I pump the fuel primer

I’m thinking when the ignition switch was replaced that it was wired wrong and I have power to the fuel solenoid in the run position but not in the start position, the one time it fire was while releasing the key from the start position so possibly the solenoid was energized while the motor still spinning. If it was wired wrong it would make sense that someone would overheat the starter. One problem leads to another.

Does this seem like a logical assumption?

Sounds legit to me. I had the same problem on a car one time. Distributor wired in wrong no power when then switch was in the crank position but had power in the run position.
Double Slide.
Old 09-11-2021

Many ignition switches that I have seen shut off power to the ACCESSORY terminal when in the START position. But the RUN should remain energized while in START. So yes, it's possible to wire one 'wrong' if someone hooks a coil or fuel solenoid to the ACCESSORY terminal.

UNRELATED...

Also chased a really difficult, intermittent no-start problem on an old Cadillac. Issue would come and go, leaving you stranded. It was a basic CLICK and no crank like a bad solenoid. All voltages tested fine, wires were good, starter/solenoid tested fine, etc. Was difficult to find since it always seemed to work fine when testing/measuring. Took 2 people to figure out. Needed one to induce the issue AND hold the key in the START position while measuring voltages. Turned out to be the factory ignition switch; if it was turned to the START position with a little bit too much force, the barrel would rotate internally and allow the slider/contact to rotate past the START contact, so a brief click and then nothing. Turning to OFF with a little force would fix it (or turning to START slowly and carefully).
Old 09-11-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
Jumped the solenoid and she fired right up, idles well and aired up to around 100psi. Rear suspension aired up but nothing at the front, I found an air leak in what looks like 1/8” plastic drawer tubing. It’s just forward of the rear axle. I can’t tell without getting under there and the bus was aired up so I’ll wait until I dump the suspension and see what I can find out.
Old 09-11-2021
Forum owner

Quote:
Jumped the solenoid and she fired right up, idles well and aired up to around 100psi. Rear suspension aired up but nothing at the front, I found an air leak in what looks like 1/8” plastic drawer tubing. It’s just forward of the rear axle. I can’t tell without getting under there and the bus was aired up so I’ll wait until I dump the suspension and see what I can find out.
Great job,we knew you could do it.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-11-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Great job,we knew you could do it.
Thanks, I still have 99 problems but the engine running isn’t one of them.

I did find at least one of the issues with the front not airing up, the plastic piece that attaches to the front ride height valve broke. It was a fresh break, nice clean blue plastic. Looks like the valve was locked up and broke the plastic piece when the front tried to air up. Add that to the list.

I got the generator to slide out, it’s a 7.5kw LP gas kohler, didn’t mess with it yet. The guy I bought the bus from said there was another Kohler RV generator in the basement of the house the bus is at, he thought it was his dad had removed it from the bus. He said I could have it anyway, I’ll take a look and see what it is next week.