Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 1 Week Ago
Knows Very Little

Default Winter living in 2000 LXi

Hi, Folks - we are unexpectedly going to be in Virginia (between Richmond and Williamsburg) at least into January (cancer diagnosis for Dwayne). We have not ever been in freezing weather with Miss Doozie, or nothing more than a dip below freezing overnight at times.

I've read through forum entries, and I am not certain which things apply to a 2000 LXi. We are plugged in to 50A. We only fill our fresh water when needed (and I'll watch forecasts to ensure I fill before a cold snap is predicted). The hose is drained and stored in a bay when we are not filling. We drive about 3 miles to the local Love's truck stop to dump (so we're not hooked up to septic or sewer).

I am certain that we have bay heaters, and I've been monitoring the temperature in the wet bay - it is staying in the high 40s. Are the bay heaters heated by the AquaHot or by electricity? Will the bay heaters keep the Dupree valves warm enough? I saw that someone suggested putting rock salt in the grey and black tanks after dumping - would that be recommended? If I avoid dumping when the weather is below freezing, would that be sufficient to protect the valves?

I was reading about "heat tape" on some pipes... Do we have that on a 2000 LXi?

I am a little concerned about the pipes to the shower - they are on an outside wall - does anyone know how well insulated they would be? Any thoughts on how to provide heat into that space?

Are there other things that I *should* be concerned about?

We are at my brother's farm, and his shop can fit Miss Doozie, so we could park in there if there are concerns for certain conditions, e.g. prediction of freezing for 4+ days, or getting down below 0F, or 6" of snow... but I would prefer not to take over all of his workspace if we can avoid it. Are there conditions that you would recommend that we move Miss Doozie into that protected (but not heated) space?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations...
Patti
with 2010 Red Jeep Liberty toad
cellphone: 214-952-9415
Patti@Cartwright.net
http://trekincartwrights.blogspot.com/
Current location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=421
Old 1 Week Ago

Patti, The LXI is a very capable coach for cold weather . For the past 6 years I have been in below freezing weather for weeks at a time . Even now I'm in Pa where it has dropped into the 20 s over night for most of the week .

Only 1 time when it went below 0 did I feel the need to put a little space heater in the water bay and run the generator all night . Did I mention this time is spent dry camping .
I also would recommend you not extend the slide when snow is being called for .or below 0 temps as it helps to keep the living room warmer. I also had a time when while attempting to leave in the morning after a few days of melting, freezing snow I found a build up of ice preventing the slide retraction , not fun . Feel free to call me with any questions and our prayers' go out for Dwayne s healing .

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 1 Week Ago
Knows Very Little

Thank you, Al - this relieves my concerns a lot!
Patti@Cartwright.net
Old 1 Week Ago

Patti, I have not done it yet on this trip but I also will put some insulation over the opening for the sewer connection . That little door we close in the water bay . Also I have not been hooked up but I would also think it best to remove sewer lines and water . Just fill up and dump when needed . Good luck

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 1 Week Ago

There is a water line along the floor and the outside that is covered with a decorative cover. It is not insulated and it would be wise to remove that cover to allow heat to get to it.
Old 5 Days Ago
Knows Very Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by al perna View Post
Patti, I have not done it yet on this trip but I also will put some insulation over the opening for the sewer connection . That little door we close in the water bay . Also I have not been hooked up but I would also think it best to remove sewer lines and water . Just fill up and dump when needed . Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
There is a water line along the floor and the outside that is covered with a decorative cover. It is not insulated and it would be wise to remove that cover to allow heat to get to it.
Ron - is the water line along the floor in the wet bay? Or is it in another bay?

Al - I was wondering about the wet bay floor temperature... I moved our remote sensor so it is lying on the floor next to the pipe - it got down to 39F last night (outside was 28F).

We are not hooked up continually to water or sewer - we just hook up when we are filling or dumping.
Patti@Cartwright.net
Old 5 Days Ago
ANOTHER REDNECK

sounds like you got this figured out
that is what i do when in cold weather also add a light bulb in wet bay when not using aquahot
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=254
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571
F133316 BODY NUMBER