Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 07-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbedinger View Post
Was the EL fix just replacing that 5A fuse with a 10A fuse?? Nice going! I think One might deduce that the fuse takes 12V from headlight switch to the EL inverter, would be nice to trace it out and see, some day...

On the recent EL outage, check that the EL wires are still connected, because when you're putting the dash in, a little tug on the EL wires can disconnect 'em. I taped mine to another wiring harness so they're not so easy to tug loose.

Let me also mention the little air line into the air pressure gauge, it is easy to kink it, be aware of it when installing dash to avoid bad air readings later.
I did not have to uninstall the dash to get behind where the headlight switch and EL dimmer are, they were visible from laying on the floor. Thus I've not found the inverter yet. I guess it was dumb luck but replacing the in-line fuse with the 10A is holding so far.

That said I would be interested in tracing it out better as this in-line fuse may have been a fix by the PO that needs more investigation. I also want to put a amp meter on it and see what it actually drawing.

Randy & Deborah Turner
'97 WLWB 43'
"horizons..."

Travel Blog
Old 07-16-2014

The EL inverter is outside in the gen set fan bay
Old 08-27-2014

After reading this thread because my lower dash does not light up I went out last night and played with the lights. I CRC'd the rheostats and cranked them both ways and found that the lower dash EL would flash on for a second and then back off. Soon the buzzer for the headlights would go off also with the EL .I am now thinking that this goes back to the flashing headlight problem I had when I drove it home. I also looked for the "cubes" or black inverter and it must be under the front panel cover as it is not behind the dash panels . I DID get the gauge lights to Brighten up by cleaning the "stats" but they also started the flashing as my headlights did originally. The headlights are now on a relay separate from the Headlight breaker so they stayed on this time .
Would the inverter be a cause of the flashing? I assume something is drawing excess power and tripping the auto breaker that I had replaced originally. In the light I will get in the front and start checking but I thought maybe the electrical gurus might "enlighten" me before I burn something up first.
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 08-27-2014

John, I would change the headlight switch...inexpensive and probably time.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 08-27-2014

I have replaced the switch- twice actually.
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 08-27-2014

I've not revisited my problem with my EL lights but I did find the inverters in my genset fan bay like Fred said. They look very much like the ones being offered on ebay right now. Say "Javelina Inverter" right on them.

I would think you could test them with a VOM for input and output pretty easily.

Randy & Deborah Turner
'97 WLWB 43'
"horizons..."

Travel Blog
Old 08-27-2014

Quick warning about those inverters:

Do NOT power them up without connecting them to your panels first. If they do not have a load connected, it quickly damages them.
Linden, Michigan
Old 08-27-2014

VOM would, of course, check voltage. You'd need something to check frequency, too. Many newer meters do that within a range. Set the meter to "HZ."
lurker
Old 08-27-2014
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by biobug View Post
I DID get the gauge lights to Brighten up by cleaning the "stats" but they also started the flashing as my headlights did originally. The headlights are now on a relay separate from the Headlight breaker so they stayed on this time .
Would the inverter be a cause of the flashing?
Hi John--

Disconnecting the EL dimmer from headlight switch power ought to tell you if a short in the EL is overloading the headlight breaker. Good thinking, an interesting possibility.

I wish i'd considered that when my headlights started blinking, but I gave up when I found that disconnecting the headlight buzzer (buzzer labeled with a "2" in front access panel) fixed the symptom. Never did figure out the cause, hope you get results!
Full-time in 2019
Old 08-27-2014
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGloverii View Post
Quick warning about those inverters:

Do NOT power them up without connecting them to your panels first. If they do not have a load connected, it quickly damages them.
I wonder if this explains the scattered reports of fried inverters during replacement?

Reading the posts about blue cubes, there's been some confusion about which terminals are AC and DC. Would hooking them up wrong kill it?
Full-time in 2019