Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Full Timers

Full Timers Not everyone can be a full timer. This is the place to discuss questions, concerns, and other issues affecting full timers.

Site Search:

Old 08-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrold View Post
Mmm, I wonder if a Millenicom 20 Go monthly plan (Verizon) SIM card be used in a Cradlepoint router? It would allow one less device to run...
JF,

Cradlepoint makes different versions of my router that coincide with the different major carriers, so they do have a Verizon version. My unofficial guess would be that the Verizon version would work with your Millinecom SIM card, but if I were you, I'd check with Cradlepoint first. They are good people, and have excellent service and support staff.

-Robert
Linden, Michigan
Old 08-29-2014

I guess my first post got lost in cyber space so I will try it again. I know that I am a Rube on most of this stuff. I honestly don't know what a router or a cradlepoint or any of that stuff does. Not sure that I care, but on the off chance that I am missing out on something enlighten me. I live a half mile off the nearest road. It cost me $8K to have electricity run to the house and the phone company just laughed at me. I suppose there was a price but I wasn't going for it. So I have have Verizon. I have unlimited data. 4G at the house and most places we take the coach but of course there are some 3G places but nothing I haven't been able to handle. I have a Samsung S5 smartphone. I have a Samsung TV and Direct TV. I have PdaNet on my phone. I paid a one time fee of $25 several years ago and never paid another dime since. My phone can support up to 5 devices. My wife on her tablet, me on my laptop, Direct TV is hooked to the phone and I download movies all the time. All I had to do was set up a connection on the TV and I'm good to go. So, you guys that have all this other stuff, am I missing something? If I am I honestly would like to know, because if I am I'm, then I want one. I understand about the signal booster and antenna. I have been looking at getting one not only for the coach but at home. It seems like some weekends we drop the 4G occasionally, but it hasn't been anything we have had a problem with. In the coach I'm sure it would be much more beneficial. So you gurus help me out because I'm just a dumb country boy that hasn't a clue.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 08-29-2014

Default WiFi

I am hoping there is a simple explanation to this question, because frankly, I have been unable to understand how to apply these earlier posts to my situation. First, some background.

We currently have Verizon phone service paying about $30 each for 2 cellphones (3G service, as we have had them for several years). Because we are full-timers and have no home area, we pay about $60 more for a data package with 700 cell minutes per month which includes unlimited data (because we are currently grandfathered on that).

For WiFi we have used Easytether and generally have been happy with that. We have been told going to 4G would help that some. As i result I am buying a 4G phone on the open market rater than from Verizon because that will allow me to upgrade my phone and keep my unlimited data package. If I upgrade phones from Verizon I have to re-up for two years and will lose the unlimited data package and have to go back to 5GB. We don't text or pay for any of that so our total monthly cost is about $120.

We just bought a Microsoft Surface RT tablet and found unfortunately that Easytether does not work with that. I tried the "using my phone as a mobile hotspot" approach, but that doesn't seem to work with either the laptop or the Surface. (although it seems like it should so maybe I am doing something wrong)

Anyway, I would like to get set up with WiFi from anywhere on both the laptop and Surface tablet without losing my unlimited data or raising my monthly cost. If I have to buy some kind of hardware setup with a router , antenna, or whatever else is needed at some one time cost, that would be OK. However, from reading all these posts I can't figure out if that is possible. It sounds like I will have to buy a monthly additional data package from Verizon and add to my current monthly costs to accomplish that, even if I get the right hardware setup.

So, I am not looking for a complex explanation I won't understand. If there is no way currently to do what I want, just say so. If I can, please tell me what hardware I will need to accomplish what I want, and I can go from there. Simpler and hopefully less expensive for the package is better of course.

So can I accomplish what I want or not?

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 08-29-2014
Geek

There aren't easy answers for those using a phone with 3rd-party software as your internet access. I understand the desire to keep unlimited, and I know for many of you with only one phone it can be a big savings. For me, with two phones and a USB modem, while spending half the year or more at home with DSL I worked out my usage for a couple of years and found that it made sense to drop the unlimited. A lot of that is because, with Verizon, you aren't stuck with 5GB, you have a 1GB minimum that is inexpensive (relatively). I can and do adjust up and down on the fly, sky's the limit in both GB and cost, while 1GB is the minimum.

Putting the USB modem in a Cradlepoint router with an external antenna is very easy. Using an external with a phone is a pain, or at least it is for me. Incidentally, I have played with various amps and antennas, and found that an external antenna makes a huge difference, while an amp at best makes a small difference, and that difference can be negative at times. So, I just use an antenna and the one amp I have is gathering dust.

There was a loophole that allowed upgrade pricing on Verizon phones while keeping unlimited, according to friends, but they say (quoting a technomadia site) that the loophole was supposed to close on Aug 24. Might be worthwhile to double check it. See the Geeksontour Aug 19th post here: http://geeksontour.blogspot.com/
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 08-30-2014
Goat rails in the sunset

Lee--

What about a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device)? You buy it elsewhere and bring it to Verizon, like your new phone. Verizon has a long list of approved equipment you can use on their network. I think you can add any approved device to your existing unlimited account. You'll have to check with them about that.

If you get a green light for BYOD add on, shop around for a setup like Don described.
Full-time in 2019
Old 08-30-2014

I must be technically out of it. I have a Verizon phone and a Verizon MiFi 4G for the computer and my wife's I-pad. They are used at the house and on the bus. No external antennae are needed. I have never been without service wherever we go. Simple is better.

Well, maybe one place; inside the steel bus when inside the steel storage building the signal gets a little weak, but still works.
Old 08-30-2014
Geek

It isn't the "technically out of it" that matters. It is the "wherever we go." It remains perfectly possible to travel to places in the 48 states where there is zero cell signal, even with an external antenna and a booster. Thousands of square miles of such places. Even the notoriously optimistic coverage maps of the carriers will show such places as "no coverage."

There are tens of thousands of square miles where there is coverage, but it isn't even strong enough to get decent voice through a metal coach, let alone data.

As long as you never travel to such places the problem simply doesn't, and won't, exist.

The coverage maps, again without being exactly accurate, will show you that the odds of being in a place without coverage are much, much, higher west of the Mississippi than they are east. Existent, but poor, coverage is similarly much more likely in the west.
Old 08-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
I must be technically out of it. I have a Verizon phone and a Verizon MiFi 4G for the computer and my wife's I-pad. They are used at the house and on the bus. No external antennae are needed. I have never been without service wherever we go. Simple is better.

Well, maybe one place; inside the steel bus when inside the steel storage building the signal gets a little weak, but still works.
Does that setup require paying for an extra data package from Verizon over and above the cell phone and minutes cost?

Or is it included in your total overall monthly fee, and if so what does all that run per month?

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 08-30-2014
ANOTHER REDNECK

i have same as ron..about 200 a mth with 2 phones and mifi

you can change data plan to suit your needs
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 08-30-2014
Geek

My Verizon service varies greatly month-to-month as I adjust data amounts, but for the 8 bills so far this year the average has been $149.17.

That's for two phones and a USB modem, unlimited voice and text with data changed as needed. The USB modem in a cradlepoint router works like a MiFi (what Verizon now calls a Jetpack), except it is somewhat more versatile - up to 4 wired connections, no nominal limit on wireless connections, etc. Higher up-front cost, though. Jetpacks can be somewhat a mobile device when you are away from power, using a small inverter or a battery pack, but a USB modem is truly mobile - just plug it into a laptop when out-and-about.