Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 11-15-2014

I agree with Robert. Start the generator and let it charge your battery banks. Do you have the switch on the dash that combines the banks? If so select combine and charge all the battery.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 11-15-2014

Mike - if you look back a ways you'll see I had plenty of problems with this issue.
Look at the volt meter on the dash, and see if the voltages change when you push the connection switch. In my case, the solenoid that connects alternators to engine batteries was shot. Oddly on the WB models, the alternators go first to the house batteries and the solenoid closes to connect and charge the engine batteries. Without the connection, running the engine will not charge the engine batteries. Likewise if the switch/solenoid doesn't connect the two sets of batteries, running the generator will not charge start batteries either.
If the switch does not connect the house and start batteries (look for the voltage change when you push the switch), you will not be able to use the house batteries to start the engine. You can do 2 things as a temporary connection. Connect the house and start batteries with a pair of jumper cables, or take both cables off the solenoid and temporarily connect them with a bolt thru the eyes.
First check, push the connection switch and see if there is a voltage change showing connection. Good luck. I'll be on the computer for a couple hours, let us know what you find. joe
Old 11-15-2014

Second thought. DDEC (Detroit Diesel Electronic Control) and ATEC (Alison Transmission Electronic Control) pick up their power source from the engine batteries. The speedometer gets it's input from the output shaft of the transmission, the Tach gets it's input off the engine. When ATEC and/or DDEC are getting low voltage, the information from them will be variable and unreliable. If the voltage is low enough to DDEC and ATEC, the engine stops and Joe Garner has to come rescue you. Thanks again Joe!
Old 11-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by schipperkejoe View Post
Second thought. DDEC (Detroit Diesel Electronic Control) and ATEC (Alison Transmission Electronic Control) pick up their power source from the engine batteries. The speedometer gets it's input from the output shaft of the transmission, the Tach gets it's input off the engine. When ATEC and/or DDEC are getting low voltage, the information from them will be variable and unreliable. If the voltage is low enough to DDEC and ATEC, the engine stops and Joe Garner has to come rescue you. Thanks again Joe!

In this case he is dealing with a 3208 Cat and a 500 HP ZF Tranny. This is an SP
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 11-16-2014

True, but the concept is the same. Low voltage through sensors will give variable and unreliable readings. His speedometer and tach were bouncing around, an indicator of voltage drop. They're probably a symptom rather than an issue in and of themselves.
Old 11-16-2014
Huggie

Default Potential Alternator Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
this is the place to talk about wiring,batterys etc.
anybody want to talk?
Randy
help, Drove my SP36 Home to Houston from Austin yesterday, While driving home I noticed the Tach would jump around as well as the Speedometer. Got home Ok parked at my local Church Lot last night, Gong to put it in my rented storage garage. I noticed the Coach lights were dim when I checked on it this morning. I needed to move it before church tomorrow cranked it up and it was a little sluggish starting but it only takes a bump to start. I noticed my air alarm buzzer was not working, Air Pressure went up and could not get the steps to retract. Drove around the parking lot a minute and they finall retracted. Getting close to dark I tuned on the lights very dim, Windshield wipers barely work and finally lights finally went out, Engine still running but getting dark and pulled over to leave it for the night. I am suspect of the alternator now, I guess the bus ran on coach batteries and then drew from the coach batteries.
The Amp meter does not work so cannot tell if alternagtor working. Is it possible to jump the alternator coach batteries and run for a while to charge coach. Only need to drive about 5 miles, Have power in my storage to charge for now. I did not want to damage Gen by jumping the house bats. Hopefully I can charge the coach enought to get to the storage, It never quit running until I parked it, was dark and had to pull over.
Mike
HUGGIE BEAR
281-853-4569
Old 11-16-2014
Huggie

Default House batteries down too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I agree with Robert. Start the generator and let it charge your battery banks. Do you have the switch on the dash that combines the banks? If so select combine and charge all the battery.
I have an 90 SP 36 also, Yes have the switch, Can I jump the house batteries to get the gen started without hurting anything, I will shut off all the breakers this morning should I leave the master DC switch on in the overhead compartment?
HUGGIE BEAR
281-853-4569
Old 11-16-2014
Huggie

There is a toggle in the house battery bay that the PO thought would connect or disconnect two, I have not had time to check that toggle out. Going to head over to the bus in just a few. will keep posted, I will try to jump the engine bat first just to see.

Mike
HUGGIE BEAR
281-853-4569
Old 11-16-2014
Huggie

Sorry for the Duplicate Post above, got ion the wrong page.
HUGGIE BEAR
281-853-4569
Old 11-16-2014

So you are saying that the gen won't currently start?

On my coach, the gen is started by the house batteries. What is the status of your house batteries?

I suggest you bring a volt meter with you so you are able to report accurate findings.

If the solenoid that ties both battery banks together is malfunctioning, that would cause the issues you are reporting.

After starting your gen (1st priority), we need to determine if the solenoid is malfunctioning. If so, the temporary solution to get you on the road would be to jump the terminals on the solenoid to tie the two banks together, thereby allowing the gen (and alternator) to charge your coach batteries.
Linden, Michigan