Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 06-14-2015

Default 1993 WB Trim Rust

My 93 original paint work is in very good shape so it was an aggrevation to have rust stains on the side of the coach from the upper trim. I assumed it was the self tapping screws but after removing the aluminum trim I found over the years the rubber "spacers" in the center of the trim that held it off the side of the coach had compressed and allowed the lower edge to rub the coach and cause some surface rust under the trim. I treated the exposed metal and sealed to prevent future issues, added silicone to the spacer to raise the trim up from the wall about 1/8" and replaced the bolts with stainless and a good lubricant for the dissimilar metals. So don't replace the hardware without looking at the trim gap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	36133  
Old 06-14-2015

Picture of area under trim
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	231
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	36134  
Old 06-14-2015

Picture of back of trim. You can see where the aluminum has rubbed the steel
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	202
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	36135  
Old 06-14-2015

One week later after undercoating and hardware replacement. Small gap behind trim and no rust.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	207
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	36136  
Old 06-15-2015

Nice write up. Thank you. Wondering if you can give a little more detail about what you used to replace the interior rubber spacers and how you reattached everything. Looks like you used 3m tape for something?
--Bill
Sold - 1992 WB40 "Tweet Dreams"

Old 06-15-2015

I could not find a direct replacement for the rubber spacer. The original gap was only about an 1/8" and the only purpose is to keep the metal side and trim from rubbing through the paint. Because the rubber fits inside a channel on the trim I was able to apply about a 1/4" head of silicone inside the channel. In combination with the rubber it compressed to the correct depth, just holding the trim away from the side wall.
I thought about sanding but a local body shop suggested a liquid treatment for the minimal rust, so taped the area below the trim line and brushed on three coats. Similar to OSPHO it sealed the area like a hard shellac so I figured any future rubbing in this area would be better protected than just paint and none of it is visible with the trim back in place.
I also plan on placing a thin line of sealant on the top of the trim to seal the area from dirt, hold the trim the proper distance from the side and allow moisture to still drain from the bottom.
My 83 had a rubber edge on both sides of the aluminum trim that prevented the rubbing I have seen in this coach.
Old 06-15-2015

Thanks much.
Bill
Sold - 1992 WB40 "Tweet Dreams"

Old 06-15-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by REB View Post
I could not find a direct replacement for the rubber spacer. The original gap was only about an 1/8" and the only purpose is to keep the metal side and trim from rubbing through the paint. Because the rubber fits inside a channel on the trim I was able to apply about a 1/4" head of silicone inside the channel. In combination with the rubber it compressed to the correct depth, just holding the trim away from the side wall.
I thought about sanding but a local body shop suggested a liquid treatment for the minimal rust, so taped the area below the trim line and brushed on three coats. Similar to OSPHO it sealed the area like a hard shellac so I figured any future rubbing in this area would be better protected than just paint and none of it is visible with the trim back in place.
I also plan on placing a thin line of sealant on the top of the trim to seal the area from dirt, hold the trim the proper distance from the side and allow moisture to still drain from the bottom.
My 83 had a rubber edge on both sides of the aluminum trim that prevented the rubbing I have seen in this coach.
You need to consider using something besides silicone around painted surfaces. If you should decide to repaint someday and have used silicone, it becomes a real headache and paint will not adhere. I know one painter that said he won't touch anything that has had silicone on it. This may or may not become an issue for you, because you put it underneath the trim, but it does tend to leach out a little. I think most of us stay away from silicone and use other sealants that paint will adhere to.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN