Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-15-2019

Default Air Dryer Conversion

I have a 2000 LXi Millennium Edition. It has a Bendix AD-9 air dryer with an internal dryer cartridge. The challenge is that to replace the cartridge, you end up taking the entire dryer out of the coach then disassemble the dryer to remove and replace the cartridge. Then reinstall the dryer and reconnect all the air lines. I am considering changing/upgrading the dryer to the Bendix AD-SP which has an external spin on cartridge. The advantage would be that you wouldn’t have to take the dryer out of the coach to change the internal cartridge. The challenges to the exchange would be the replumbing of the air connections and the custom fabrication of a new mounting bracket. Also, I understand that according to a Fleetpride person, the AD-9 is preferred buy many of the trucking fleets. Not sure why.
The conversion would make it easier to change the cartridge and would lessen the chance of air leaks because of taking the AD-9 out of the coach to change the internal cartridge.
Has anyone changed to the Bendix AD-SP? What has been your experience? What are your recommendations?
Thanks,
Randy B
Randall.burdette@icloud.com
(540) 850-2206
Please use email or cell, do not PM
Old 07-15-2019
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B View Post
I have a 2000 LXi Millennium Edition. It has a Bendix AD-9 air dryer with an internal dryer cartridge. The challenge is that to replace the cartridge, you end up taking the entire dryer out of the coach then disassemble the dryer to remove and replace the cartridge. Then reinstall the dryer and reconnect all the air lines. I am considering changing/upgrading the dryer to the Bendix AD-SP which has an external spin on cartridge. The advantage would be that you wouldn’t have to take the dryer out of the coach to change the internal cartridge. The challenges to the exchange would be the replumbing of the air connections and the custom fabrication of a new mounting bracket. Also, I understand that according to a Fleetpride person, the AD-9 is preferred buy many of the trucking fleets. Not sure why.
The conversion would make it easier to change the cartridge and would lessen the chance of air leaks because of taking the AD-9 out of the coach to change the internal cartridge.
Has anyone changed to the Bendix AD-SP? What has been your experience? What are your recommendations?
Thanks,
Randy B
My interpretation of the attached Bendix AIR DRYER APPLICATION GUIDE is that the AD-SP is not recommended for RV applications (see page 2):

https://www.bendix.com/media/documen..._1/BW2600a.pdf
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 07-16-2019

Thanks John,
The chart does show the AD-9 as a higher performance air dryer. And the note says the AD-SP is intended for servicing low demand air systems. Given that information, I think I’ll stay with the painful AD-9. I might consider following Randy Dupree and moving it to a more accessible location. More to learn first.
Thanks again,
Randy B
(540) 850-2206
Old 07-16-2019

Does Randy make and sell copies of the bracket he made to mount the air dryer in a better place?

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43
Old 07-16-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
Does Randy make and sell copies of the bracket he made to mount the air dryer in a better place?
Nope,he does not.
My bracket fits the 2000LXI,is not the same as a 1997WB.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-16-2019

Hi Randy,

Do you sell the bracket for the 2000 like yours? I have a 2000 LXi also and getting to the air dryer as you know is a pain. I saw where you moved yours in the forum. How do you like the move? The biggest advantage of course is access but have you noticed any problems or lessons learned? Would you do it the same way if you were doing it again or would you make some changes!

Thanks,

Randy B
(540) 850-2206
Old 07-16-2019

The ad-9 I put on my 2000 LXi was a rebuilt Haldex (looked brand new) I bought at NAPA and with exchange it was about $140. Buying the parts is cheaper but for the difference I’ll let somebody rebuild it that does it everyday. It sure looks better than one I would have rebuilt but it wasn’t fun changing it out. I use a half inflated exercise ball under my back. It gets you in a better position underneath. It helps a lot.
Dan
1996 WB-42
2006 Trailblazer LT 4wd
Bartow, Fl
dclembo128@verizon.net
Old 07-16-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clembo View Post
The ad-9 I put on my 2000 LXi was a rebuilt Haldex (looked brand new) I bought at NAPA and with exchange it was about $140. Buying the parts is cheaper but for the difference I’ll let somebody rebuild it that does it everyday. It sure looks better than one I would have rebuilt but it wasn’t fun changing it out. I use a half inflated exercise ball under my back. It gets you in a better position underneath. It helps a lot.
Dan

I like that ball idea!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-16-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B View Post
Hi Randy,

Do you sell the bracket for the 2000 like yours? I have a 2000 LXi also and getting to the air dryer as you know is a pain. I saw where you moved yours in the forum. How do you like the move? The biggest advantage of course is access but have you noticed any problems or lessons learned? Would you do it the same way if you were doing it again or would you make some changes!

Thanks,

Randy B
I would do it again in a heartbeat,its now easy to fix.
no,i don't have time to make a bracket,sorry

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I like that ball idea!
It works just like you can imagine it. The trick is not to have too much air in it. If you do it won’t stay under you.
1996 WB-42
2006 Trailblazer LT 4wd
Bartow, Fl
dclembo128@verizon.net