Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 03-26-2010

The Final Solution

Thanks to pieces of the puzzle from all you guys, Parliament Coach, Berendsen Fluid Power (1-800-360-2327), Sauer-Danfoss engineering, and a bunch of calls, here is a summary of what we have learned:

Somewhere between 1995 and 2002 the fan drive control assembly was changed from a two level speed control to a continuously variable speed control. 1995 vintage birds with a high/low speed fan have a Blue Bird p/n of 1858125 for the fan control module. Thanks to Parliament helping me out, this is a Sauer-Danfoss p/n CP508-B01-B-4S-12D-WPM/25. It is available from Berendsen Fluid Power for $275.30, less 20% for forum members. These are used on older Prevost buses, so are still available to be shipped immediately, usually from Canada.

For later coaches using the variable speed controller, the fan drive control assembly is Sauer-Danfoss p/n 1090223, list price $576.07, available from Berendsen. This may take more time to obtain, say three weeks. The electronic control module piggybacked on this valve and part of the assembly is also available separately as p/n 1090222, list price $394.12, in case you have blown the electronics.

According to Sauer-Danfoss techs, you can remove the piggybacked electronic control from the assembly and use the solenoid valve alone in the older applications, if you need it in a crisis, but you are paying double the price because of the controller that you can't use and a different valve. It is also difficult to make it fit, although it can be done.

It would be hugely presumptuous to ask Parliament to access the Blue Bird purchasing records for vendor and vendor p/n for free, considering what they paid for that data. However, I bought my coach there and have had a lot of work done there so they were kind enough to do me a favor. That was the key to solve the problem. Thank you Parliament. This helps us all in the future.

You can tell which part number your coach uses by looking at the pictures of the older and newer valves in my original post.

Whew!!!
Old 03-27-2010
davidmbrady

Thanks Ron,

That's great info. I'm glad you got it straightened out.
Old 03-31-2010

Slim Somerville posted a number 800-360-2327 a few weeks back in another thread on this subject. This turned out to be really useful. Thanks, Slim. It's Berendsen Fluid Power with branches in many areas. Your cell phone's area code puts you to their closest branch, which was Grand Rapids, MI for me.

At that branch, they jumped into the challenge, found a valve in the Toronto branch, and shipped it same day. I paid for next day delivery due to the Easter mail load and holiday. They called me the next day and even told me at what time it would be delivered. Now THAT is customer service. Even I was impressed.

A good number for hydraulics source. Be polite, tell them you are a member of the Blue Bird forum, and they will likely give you a 20% discount. With 1,500 members and growing, we are becoming a purchasing group worth noticing. This is all good. Thanks to you guys who put this forum together. It will keep our birds on the road.