Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 09-03-2011
Gardner

Default Credit Card alternate address

Can anyone tell me how they have handled ordering online and using an alternate ship to address. We are on the road and I want to have something shipped to a friends house, but I expect some problems. I will call the credit card company tomorrow, but they don't always have the answer I want.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-03-2011

We do that all winter in Florida and have never had a problem.
Old 09-03-2011
Geek

As sellers, We accept a lot of orders where the addresses don't match, and I also turn down a small but significant number. Since it leaves me on the hook for any fraudulent charges we evaluate and decide how much risk we want to take.

I have found similar variations as a buyer, and I routinely have personal stuff sent to my business when nobody is likely to be home to accept and I don't want to risk it. So, a few years ago I added my business address as a verifiable address for my personal card that I use the most. As I recall it was about 2 minutes on the phone, and was considered a routine request by the CC company.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 09-03-2011

I have yet to have aproblem having a billing address and a different shipping address. As a fulltimer I do it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Can anyone tell me how they have handled ordering online and using an alternate ship to address. We are on the road and I want to have something shipped to a friends house, but I expect some problems. I will call the credit card company tomorrow, but they don't always have the answer I want.
Old 09-04-2011
Itchintogo

Gardener,

You should be able to have a different shipping address than your credit card address. This is routine for people purchasing gifts for loved ones, friends and family. That should not be a problem as long as your CC billing address matches up with your CC. There is ONE exception I have found though.

If you change Countries. For example when I use Paypal on Ebay.com it won't let me use my CDN credit card to ship to my US address. Now way, forget it, not going to happen. It knows the Country difference by the CC number sequence I suppose.

So I have to have a US CC and use that CC to use Paypal and it is verified with my US address. So my billing address is US and shipping addy US as well. So when I am on Ebay I look for all intents and purposes 100% American.

So every now and then I need to fund my US bank account to pay my US CC, bills, taxes and Comcast etc. I forgot the dang bank draft at home this weekend so I will have to do that next time. Sheesh!

I expect you would have the same problem if you were trying to buy something and have it shipped to Canada. Then you would need a CDN Visa card for paypal.

Other than that you should do just fine.
Old 09-04-2011

All my cards have a PO box for a mailing address & most companies only ship to street addresses & provide for an alternate shipping address. I've never had a problem although I use Paypal if it is an option.

Bill B.
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".
Old 09-04-2011
Geek

Every company sets its own security policy. I wonder how many who say "no problem" have made high value purchases in the past year?

A couple of days ago I ordered a new graphics workstation (mid-range, about $1800) from a custom builder. I have bought from them 7 times before over the past 5 years, mostly servers. They required that any address had to be CC verifiable, and since my purchase was over $1000 I had to fax a signed CC authorization to them before they would start the build.

My guess is that they have a lot of experience at getting burned.

Personally I wish that more companies required AVS-verified addresses - it would seriously cut down on credit card fraud. As it is, with lax rules, anyone getting your basic info of CC number and address can run up all sorts of charges on your card and have them shipped anywhere. Yeah, I know (and have experienced) that you can get all the charges removed, get a new card, etc., but it sure is a hassle.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1