Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-07-2012

Smile Cruising speed?

Entering here, for lack of a better place, since question is fairly specific to my type of bird (PT, 5 speed, 8v92).

What is a "good" cruising speed? Good in this sense referring to "good for the engine". I have been trying to keep it about 60, which, according to my tach seems to average about 1750 rpm. Having the aerodynamics of a brick, my goal is to get as good a fuel mileage as is possible. Time, I have, money, less so. But I have no idea where the "sweet spot" should be, for best performance. Also, I don't want to "lug" the engine, and contribute to reduced engine life, in what might be a false economy.

I guess what I am asking is, since it is staying in 5th and not hunting between gears, is this a good speed? I seem to have plenty of power to burn.

All advice welcomed, whether or not acted upon.
2010 Honda Element -- "Shadow"

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost." -- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Old 12-07-2012

hi lee
i don't know the right answer don't know if there is one... i run 1700rpm (most of the time) on my tack and thats about 62 my my speedo and gps...mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 12-07-2012
ANOTHER REDNECK

MY 8v92 40 footers sweet spots are around 76-78 mph

they like to run!

62mph? west texas? run good tires and ride
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 12-07-2012

My mechanic has always told me the best way to drive a 2-stroke DD is with both feet planted firmly on the floor . You are not "saving" your engine by running slower.

Drive as fast as you feel comfortable. In both my 86 PT and my current bus, I run with the cruise on 72 on the open road and have no worries running up through the 70's if I need to get past traffic or whatever. I'd run 80 if I didn't think it was an unnecessary risk on tires. These busses are built to run.

Find your own comfort level and run there, the well-maintained bus doesn't care.
Old 12-07-2012

Our 6V92 with a 3.42 rear seems to like around 72 MPH. Tach is at 2100.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 12-08-2012

Like Mike and the sugarland express, I like to run about 62 to 63. This keeps me at 1700 to 1750 RPM's. While cruising at 1900 to 2000 RPM and 70+ MPH is certainly comfortable on these coaches, I do it for the dramatic increase in fuel mileage. (well...dramatic for a Bird anyway) I'm now in our 11th year with this coach. I've driven in nearly every state, on and off interstates, on and off US highways and smaller roads when needed. We've monitored our fuel mileage under all possible conditions, temperatures, speeds, towing a Hummer, towing a Jeep Wrangler, towing a 24 ft enclosed trailer and running with no tow. We have found the above mentioned 62-63 MPH to give the best results under all conditions. If we maintain those speeds, it really does not matter whether or not we tow. Once we get in motion and maintain the speed and RPM's we get 5.5 to approaching 6 MPG. BUT, once we get over those speeds and RPM's we drop to 4 to 4.5 (especially at 2000 RPM). We all know the 92's will run all day at those speeds, but the fuel usage becomes a BIG issue. especially when you're full timing like we are. I've never heard of any damage being done to these engines running in the 1700 to 1800 RPM range. So bottom line, why waste the liquid gold we pump into these beasts on a regular basis. And then we can talk about what happens when a steer tire blows out at 70+ MPH. But that is a topic for another discussion. So just sit back, slow down, save some fuel. enjoy the scenery and perhaps even live a little longer.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 12-08-2012
Forum Moderator

Keeping the engine rpm sweet spot in mind for your particular coach I would add that anyone who drives ten mph slower than their tyre rated speed is wise.
Old 12-08-2012

I echo Don's fuel consumption comments, I just choose not to make that my deciding factor in how fast I go.

My 86 PT38 8v92 would get about 5 mph at 70-72 mph. The DDEC computer in my current Series 60 shows 5.75 mpg at those speeds. Any time that I am "forced" to slow down for traffic, construction, etc, the mpg will start to creep up if Im running in the 60's.

Fuel consumption is a very real variable to consider when choosing your personal comfort speed. The difference between 5 and 6 mpg may not sound like much on the face of it, but it's a 20% increase . But from a standpoint of durability, which seemed to be the original poster's topic, turn her up and let her go.
Old 12-08-2012

Any comments on a sweet spot for the S-60?
Old 12-08-2012

My bus runs good between 65 and 70 too hard stop to run faster much faster but out west on good open straight roads 75 is no problem. Fuel use IS the difference between 55 and 75 might be 2 1/2 mpg . Hard to drive 55 but on the average 62 is the best compromise

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold