Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 02-11-2013

Default Another Newbie Searching

Hi;
I have been lurking for a while and thought I would join WOG to get to know more about WL RV's.

I am retired and spend my winters in Baja MX San Felipe I travel in the summers all over the West.
I am on my 4th RV all used; two class A's, a class C and a 5th wheel. My present RV is an Allegro 97, 28'.

I am looking for my last and best RV. I came across this site and it has me thinking a WL might be the best choice for my last RV; the longevity of the coach, power plant and functional design and cost of a rig in the 1970's era. The frank and open discussions of WL is educational and thought provoking. I have noted that WL have leaks (sigh) I guess all vehicles are subject to leaks I've had leaks in all my RV's so it is a constant chore to keep water out. Then there are the things that wear out and cease to function that need to be repaired or replaced along with the peculiar systems of past eras that can be puzzling as to how they work. Sounds challenging.

So, my search has started.
Old 02-11-2013
95 WB 42

Welcome Kay
Lots of great info here figure out what you NEED and you're half way there.
Good luck.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 02-11-2013
Administrator

Hi Kay & Welcome,

This is the place for questions & answers, You seem to have travel & RV ownership experience. Just decide size and an estimated budget. There is a BB for everyone, Your roof leaks will be less worrisome with an all steel Bird with an all steel roof.
Old 02-11-2013

Kay, Happy your here and the Wonderlodge is on your list. If your decision is a Bird, were here to help answer questions.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 02-11-2013
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

When we get a prospective member wanting to join, before I approve them in order to keep out the spammers I always do a little bit of a background check and while checking Kay's application, I found out that she has a very interesting Blog that has some good reading check out http://kayjulia.wordpress.com/

Kay you passed the test and welcome to the zoo

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-11-2013

Default Thank You For The Welcome

I'm looking forward to the discussions on various aspects of buying, updating, operating, repairing and enjoying a BB. This morning as I was reading the replies I remembered my father drove a BB school bus back in the 40's. He had several stories of his adventures driving a bus full of school children through rural Massachusetts in the winter. He was an admirer of the BB and remarked it was built to last and those were the days before automatic transmissions. So, have we come full circle? Will I drive a BB like he did and admire its strengths? Time will tell the tale

The list of requirements grows. I know that my choice will be determined by cost of the rig, my budget is for a BB less than 20K. The other is condition, pretty is as pretty does, it must be in good operating condition as far as mechanical things go; engine, transmission, brakes, steering , etc. I would prefer no leaks-the steel roof seems to me is an asset. I don't mind dated furniture and appliances my needs are simple; a good place to get a night's rest, serviceable stove, microwave is not necessary, fridge in working condition is necessary, bathing facilities suitable for a 6' tall person bumping my head while taking a shower is not fun nor is having my knees hit the door in the potty room. Length; equals comfort to some degree so around 30' not over 32, but the length requirement is negotiable. Towing capacity of a BB far exceeds the needs of my elderly GEO Tracker.

I will be watching the ads for BBs and we'll see what turns up. Who knows what the future will bring?
Old 02-11-2013
Gardner

With your shower requirement, BB put in a larger bathroom with a step down shower around 1982. Could be some late 81's had it. The earlier shower is a head bumper and narrow as well. Less than 32 feet puts you into an FC 31. Not a lot of them out there, but there are some. They also made an FC 33, close to 32? $20K puts you in the early 80's as well, so you don't have a lot of options. Once in a while a real nice coach shows up at a real good price, and a 31 foot is usually smaller than most folks want, so you might find one given enough time.

Unless you are really lucky, a 20k coach is going to need some work, they are never really perfect, and early 80's models are 30 years old.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-11-2013

Thank you for the information as with most things in life compromises will have to be made and endured. Making a list of desires is sort of like writing a letter to Santa you hope for the best and dream then comes christmas morning and you face reality and adjust even forget your list. You're just happy you got something maybe something that surprises you it is so good :-)

Last edited by KayJulia; 02-11-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 02-12-2013
captainrandyme

Hello Kay,
The WL For Me Is The Best For Your Buck. Yes I Also Have Water Leaks Though I Have Put Chaulking Where The Leaks Come In And This Has Worked. My PT-36 Has A 3208 Turbo Catapillar Engine And A Kabota Generator. Can K-NOT Beat These Engines As I Used The Same Ones On Commercial Fishing Boats And They Have Served Me Well For 3-4 Decades.
Hope This Gives You Some Insight To Yor Quest For Your Final R/V Purchase.
captainrandyme@yahoo.com
Cell:239-258-8404
Old 02-12-2013
Administrator

Captain Randy ,

tell us about the PT 36 With the 3208, is it stock from BB???