Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M450 (Unique Issues)

M450 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M450 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M450 Parts here too. NO DISCUSSION OF ANY OF THE M450 LAWSUITS ALLOWED HERE.

Site Search:

Old 04-18-2013

Default Radiator Mounts Failing.

We have a '06 450LXI ,body #358, with 65,000 miles on it. During some routine maintenance, the mechanic found that the radiator mounts were failing. They look like engine mounts and rubber was failing. This allowed the radiator shack to drop about an inch and cracked the sealant between the body and the radiator as viewed from the outside of the radiator. The radiator could bounce around while driving and the fan can hit the shroud leading to real damage!

There are two mounts that will be replaced after removal of the radiator shack.
While the radiator is out we will replace the Bendix air dryer canister. It appears to be located near the front radiator mount. This will be our first replacement of the dryer. Truckers usually replace annually nearly impossible on a Bluebird.

Jim Colby
"Dream Catcher"
Old 04-18-2013

You have a good Mechanic! Hmm... I wonder why they failed so quick
89 PT40
Old 04-23-2013

Default Radiator mount Failure.

I have attached a photo of one of the failed radiator mounts. They are the same size as one from a Mack Truck radiator mount. The mechanics tried to use an upgraded mount but it would not compress enough to let the radiator be re-installed- a very tight fit. I was wrong about the shroud fan assembly being in danger from the loose play. The worry is the failure of something probably the fiberglass shroud when the radiator starts to vibrate from metal to metal contact. This would occur when the last of the rubber in the bushings falls out.

By the way the Bendix air dryer is mounted in plain sight right behind the forward radiator mount. It is very easy to replace after removing the radiator which is a big job.

Jim Colby
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	151.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	21625  
"Dream Catcher"
Old 04-23-2013
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledoc View Post
I have attached a photo of one of the failed radiator mounts. They are the same size as one from a Mack Truck radiator mount. The mechanics tried to use an upgraded mount but it would not compress enough to let the radiator be re-installed- a very tight fit. I was wrong about the shroud fan assembly being in danger from the loose play. The worry is the failure of something probably the fiberglass shroud when the radiator starts to vibrate from metal to metal contact. This would occur when the last of the rubber in the bushings falls out.

By the way the Bendix air dryer is mounted in plain sight right behind the forward radiator mount. It is very easy to replace after removing the radiator which is a big job.

Jim Colby
Hi Jim,

I don't have a 450 but thanks for the picture and the write-up.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 04-24-2013

I got engine mounts from the parts store and after a few months they looked like yours. I was thinking they were on the shelf too long and the rubber went bad?
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!
Old 04-30-2013

The radiator mounts were not the ones from Mack Truck! Nearly same size but would not work. The manufacturer of the mounts was found and they provide a series of mounts with different stiffness for various weights. The old mounts have part numbers, so getting the right mount was not a problem.

While the radiator was out of the coach, the tech found a few issues with the turbo as well. The first was a loose hose clamp ring around the exhaust side on the turbo causing an exhaust leak. Reinstalling the exhaust and ring solved that problem. He also noted a small oil leak coming from the turbo. It was caused by no gasket in the oil return drain line on the turbo.

All in all, a lot of work was done with radiator out. Most would have been close to impossible to find without the radiator removal.
"Dream Catcher"
Old 06-15-2015

I found the following about the radiator mounts:

They are made by Barry Controls part# 22002-14 Mounts, anti vibration, 22002 series

http://uk.farnell.com/barry-controls...eries/dp/13039

They can be ordered thru Black Diamond Engineered Products
phone# 1-888-201-2520

http://www.bdproduct.ca/products/sho...s/22000-series
"Dream Catcher"