Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 09-28-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Low Air Pressure Indicator Switch and Buzzer

THERE ARE NUMEROUS THREADS ABOUT THESE TOPICS COMBINED INTO THIS THREAD

I changed the Low Air Pressure Indicator Switch located near the wet air tank, because it was not working correctly, occasionally sticking leaving the light and buzzer operating after the air pressure was at it's maximum. I ordered a new switch from BlueBird parts, they didn't have the old style so they sent me a replacement that looks just like a low oil pressure switch, but it works.

Below is the style that I removed and I disassembled it to see what was broke, only to find that it was just extremely dirty and gummed up with a lot of residue, it could have actually been cleaned and re-used, see LOW AIR PRESS INDICATOR SWITCH.pdf , but the new one only cost $8.00 so it didn't break the bank.

One of the points that I would like to emphasize is the importance of draining any moisture out of the air tanks, that is why they have the drain valves on them, the accumulation of gunk in the switch took this long to accumulate, but who knows how often these tanks were drained in the past especially having to crawl under the 'Bird to accomplish this, because I just installed the Air Tank Manual Drain Valves & Lanyards four years ago. The switch may have lasted longer if the moisture was drained properly. I will put the old switch back together and carry it as a spare.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LOW AIR PRESS INDICATOR SWITCH.pdf (111.8 KB, 1895 views)

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 10-21-2009

Default Air Leak

I know this is covered some where could not find it.

I have an air leak at the manifold on the curbside tank I am guessing it is the low pressor sensor given that that light stayed on even though I had almost 150# pressure on both gauges while idling for 30 minutes. Anyone know a part number and what the name of the sensor is (I say sensor in that it has a wire connected to it). While I am working under there do those tanks need to be drained will they collect water or moisture?
727 631 3844

1980 FC 33' SB
Old 10-21-2009
Can't re-member

Denny,

Go to most any truck supply shop (in my case TruckPro) and you can find a drain valve with a wire lanyard attached. These are very common on tractors (as in tractor trailer). Its hard to believe but TruckPro charged me only around $5 or so each for these. Any way you can run the lanyard to the edge of your bus and whenever you want to manually drain the air tanks you hardly have to bend over versus having to crawl underneath. I put in a couple of eye bolts to keep my lanyard tight against the underneath the frame and made a small handle to pull on when I want to manually drain my tanks. This of course doesn't apply to the main tank with the "spit valve" installed.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCayman View Post
I know this is covered some where could not find it.

While I am working under there do those tanks need to be drained will they collect water or moisture?

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 10-21-2009
Gardner

Denny,
The pressure switch is a standard unit. Nappa or any supply house should have a comparable unit. I think it is set between 60 and 70 lbs. It opens the contacts when the pressure is up, shutting off the alarm. The LP3 units in this site are comparable.

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=290

One more thing, the switch grounds the wire to sound the alarm, so a short to frame along the wire will cause it to stay active.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 10-21-2009

Thanks all for the help on this air leak. Here is what I found the part is called a Low Pressure Valve it is a bendix part # 279416N cost $25.00. Here is a photo of the new and old one. The old may be able to be cleaned and reused after looking it over just fyi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wanderlodge 005.JPG
Views:	762
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	3084  
727 631 3844

1980 FC 33' SB
Old 10-21-2009

There was one other air leak I found the air line for the passanger seat had a leak right under the edge of the carpet so I bought 10' of air hose and just feed it through the outer protective sheath once I got the old one out guess what had caused the leak a staple from when they put the orginial carpet in 29 year ago. Here was a leak no one bothered to repair it cost 3.29 in parts to fix. Just goes to show don't take anything for granted. By the way the coach aired up in like 5 minutes big difference.

Denny
727 631 3844

1980 FC 33' SB
Old 03-16-2010

Default Low Air warning light and alarm (buzzer)

I am trying to locate the LOW AIR alarm (buzzer) and the sending unit that controls it. The low air alarm (light) works 90% of the time, the buzzer ( audible ) alarm about 50% of the time. So I believe a good cleaning is in store for the sending unit to keep it working like new, and clean the connections on the buzzer, I should be ready to go, right? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.. Mike
Old 03-16-2010
Administrator

On our 88 FC, there is a low air sensor near the schreader valve acessory (wet tank) area. there is also another hidden in the frame rail passenger side rear wheel area.
Old 03-17-2010

Thanks Bill, I'm going to take a look this afternoon....Mike
Old 03-17-2010

Bill,
You were right on the money ! The sensor (sending unit or what ever you call it?) that is for the LOW AIR ALARM is on the back side of the wet tank. The rear air sensor is right next to the front air bag on the rear axle passenger side, that one is for the air bag dump warning light, to let you know that you have no air in the suspension. Hope you are sporting the green and celebrating St Patrick's Day, and if not, I'll drink one for you!! Thanks again...Mike