Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 06-16-2013

Default Fluorescent lamp ballast

Had the couch out side where the light is better to do a good clean up after our Montana Railroad Adventure. Got all the lights turned on, went outside for a few minutes. When I returned smelled like smoke, it not only smelled like insulation it looked like smoke. Killed the 220 and started looking or source. Seemed to be coming from the cabinet over the couch in our SP 36. Much later after some head scratching decide it had to be one of the three ballast. It appears one ballast is done, pried the back off, melted tar.

Where do I find/buy/obtain a Fluorescent lamp DC Ballast.
Model #9200 Lamp current 175 ma. Line current 13.2VDC
Magnetek?

Not the end of the world, just short a few overhead lights.

Jim
Old 06-16-2013

Jim,

Sorry for your problem. From my checking, Magnetek no longer makes DC ballasts. The only source I could find was Stephen at Dupree Products, however if it was me, I would seriously look at replacing with LED. Several of the tubes in the SP are higher wattage than any ballast that Stephen has available (I tried several and had them fail -- was about to complain until I noticed that they were not rated for 5 ft long tubes).
Old 06-17-2013

Jim
I just spent two hours looking at achieves, think I need dimmers on my eyes. Some of the info is pretty out dated. It looks like you changed out one florescent bulb in the bedroom. Can LED's be installed through the slot just below the ceiling? I have two out, a five foot one in the dining and a four foot behind drivers seat. Nothing like the smell of burning insulation to get your attention.

Where are the better places to buy LED's?

And I thought this was just going to be a simple ballast change, should have known better.

The other
Jim
Old 06-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRSpeeders View Post
Can LED's be installed through the slot just below the ceiling? I have two out, a five foot one in the dining and a four foot behind drivers seat.
Where are the better places to buy LED's?
The kits from [Michael Putz' contact in AZ] come in 12" and 18" lengths, 2 LED strips packed with 1 regulator, and can be ganged 4 to a regulator. [Extra wire required for ganging.] My install came out even. I like them. With the mains live and every light on, I draw 3 whole amps....

All my fixtures are 18", I used 12" strips in all but the overheads. The LED strips self-stick into the fluo reflector. With the fixtures all the way out, I pulled the one pin socket for a hole to pass the wires through. Easy; even I could do it.

[Michael, if you're reading - me seems the LED bulbs for the swivel lights were a one-time deal? If they're still available, I highly recommend them too.]

Debbie Huffman Grey
Finally full-timing / Kids in Houston, Texas
1985 PT-40 "Festina Lente"
1993 Toyota Pickup "Phoenix"
FMCA 424082 VB 1639 SKP 112690 GS Life Member
Old 06-17-2013

Jim, going led makes sense, but if you want you want to pursue replacing the ballast give Kay at Sunlan Lighting(503) 281-0453 in Portland a call. Her knowledge is unreal.
Old 06-17-2013

Thanks for your replies, I have been busy with other projects today. Reading the archives persuaded me to make the change to LED's. It looks like they can be installed through the 1 1/2" opening between ceiling and lip. I need to talk to someone about color and quality for one four and one five foot.

Jim