Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M450 (Unique Issues)

M450 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M450 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M450 Parts here too. NO DISCUSSION OF ANY OF THE M450 LAWSUITS ALLOWED HERE.

Site Search:

Old 08-23-2013

Default Fuel Tank leaking.

We discovered a fuel leak coming from the tank area of our coach at 5pm. We could find no help in the Lewiston/ Clarkston area so we drove back to Bend,OR that night. The leak was about 2 quarts an hour estimated and fuel tank was 3/4 full.

After close inspection, it was found that the road side tank was leaking above the crossover connection between the two tanks.
The tank has been removed. Apparently one of the many seam welds was cracked about 5 inches long near the bottom of the tank and was leaking. The curbside tank was inspected in place and appears to be sound.

The plan is to get a new tank if possible, however the manufacturer said Blue bird still has rights to that tank. So we have to go thru Bluebird to get a new tank.

If that does not work, an attempt to repair the tank will be made.
"Dream Catcher"
Old 08-23-2013

I would suggest that the tank manufacturer is confusing Bluebird with BB coachworks which is gone. BB yellow bus has no claim. They sold all rights and then that co.no longer exists.Tell that company.
Old 08-23-2013
prone to wandering

Jim, steel tank welds are fairly simple repairs. That is the route that I would pursue if possible, particularly considering that the tank is out on the ground now. Any competent welding shop will know how to do it and be comfortable is doing so. I will add that is common for them to fill the tank with water up to a point below the repair to keep the tank from building gases and exploding, and then again to pressure test the repair when completed. I tell you this to make sure that the tank is completely dry inside before re installing it.
jimdoel@me.com
Old 08-23-2013

I agree with Jim that it is a simple weld fix by any competent weld shop as we used to do them in my younger days by draining, water flushing and as an added safety, fill the tank with CO2 as we welded.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 08-31-2013

We have the M450 back up and running. Ross was right about the Tank manufacturer and Bluebird- BB was no clam on the tank. There however were no Tanks around in inventory. So we decided to get it welded. That went very well and cost $100. The expense came in removing the tank and all the connections and then re-installation which ran about $1200.
"Dream Catcher"
Old 08-31-2013
Forum owner

are the tanks the same as the Premier?
I know where theres 2 tanks,new.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-31-2013

if they are save em cause more will crack

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 09-02-2013

Randy,
I do not know if the tanks are the same. The manufacturer of the BB tank is in Wisconson. There is a label on tank which gives all the info on the tank including the part number, but I can not get to it now.
Jim
"Dream Catcher"
Old 10-11-2013

years ago I had a leak on a bottom seam on the 300 gallon diesal tank in my former 1985 PT42 Wanderlodge. I drained the tank, removed the fuel filler cap, put a shop vac hose in the filler tube and turned the shop vac on ( this was to try to suck out any fumes that may have developed), then I crawled under the bus and welded the bad seam using my Mig welder (wire feed). I was a little worried doing this but it worked well and I never had anymore leaking after that.

Wayne Kotila
1996 PT42
Old 08-21-2015

Our fuel tank that was fixed two years ago started to leak again. It was repaired just above the prior fix. After looking over the fuel tanks, I found no fuel tank vents in the tanks or the caps. I think our fuel leaks may have been caused by pressure cycling of the tanks during operation and storage.The driver side tank that was removed showed slight bulging which made it more difficult to remove.
I plan to replace both fuel caps with vented versions. Other 450 LXI owners may want to check their tanks.
"Dream Catcher"