Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 08-01-2014
Million-mile trucker

Default How slow can I coast...

if the engine shuts down until the transmission drops out and the engine stops?

I was thinking about this the other day when my Peterbilt developed a coolant leak on the interstate and the engine shut down suddenly. My truck has a manual transmission, and if I leave it in gear, it is possible to steer the truck down to about 5 mph before the power steering quits. It then gets surprisingly hard to steer!

I was curious what would happen with my 8v92 - HT755 combination if the engine alarmed and shut down while on the highway. About how slow before the steering gets really difficult?

I don't know of an easy way to test this because if I turn off the key while rolling, the transmission is probably going into neutral right away.

Edward Colburn
Hood River, OR
1988 WB40
8V92TA, HT755CR
Old 08-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by eecolburn View Post
if the engine shuts down until the transmission drops out and the engine stops?

I was thinking about this the other day when my Peterbilt developed a coolant leak on the interstate and the engine shut down suddenly. My truck has a manual transmission, and if I leave it in gear, it is possible to steer the truck down to about 5 mph before the power steering quits. It then gets surprisingly hard to steer!

I was curious what would happen with my 8v92 - HT755 combination if the engine alarmed and shut down while on the highway. About how slow before the steering gets really difficult?

I don't know of an easy way to test this because if I turn off the key while rolling, the transmission is probably going into neutral right away.
ht-755 should not be put in neutral to coast its in the manual it says it will cause trans problems ...mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 08-01-2014
Million-mile trucker

My question is if the engine shuts down, how long will the transmission keep spinning the engine fast enough for the hydraulic pump to keep the power steering working? Worst case scenario being the engine shutting down on a twisty road somewhere. How slow could I coast before it becomes difficult to stay on the road?

Edward Colburn
Hood River, OR
1988 WB40
8V92TA, HT755CR
Old 08-01-2014

About 35 mph in my case. Going uphill on West Va turnpike in rain and fog.

It's nothing to worry about. Profound tachycardia and adrenaline compensate for lack of steering power....
"SamDotKat"