Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 08-09-2019

Default Engine check light 0 psi oil pressure at idle.

I'm seeing 0 oil pressure at idle when the engine idles while hot, such as when pulling up to pay tolls. The oil level is good. M380 2007 with Cummins ISL 400.

The VMS PC Silverleaf doesn't have any recorded error codes, other than a weird "unknown" code. I also don't see anything about oil on the RoadRunner 4, although it has mentioned a high voltage alert. The dash light turns on and the buzzer sounds at idle when the engine is warm. The oil pressure gauge drops to zero.

The M380 manual mentions turning on the "diagnostic switch" or adding a "shorting plug" to read blinking light error codes, but doesn't say where they are. I'm familiar with this process for a car, but not the Cummins.

Is there a manual that will help me out with this? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 08-09-2019

What is the engine rpm when this happens ?

Ours was doing that when the idle dropped too low due to a faulty overflow valve on the injector pump .
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 08-09-2019

My oil pressure gauge does the same thing, 0 pressure after running for awhile, my Scangauge always reads 55psi, several other owners report 0 readings. I just check my Scangauge.
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 08-09-2019
Forum owner

On the S60 engine the dash oil pressure gauge uses a different sender than the engine computer.
I bet the Cummins is the same way.
Has anyone looked for a sending unit?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVinCT View Post
I'm seeing 0 oil pressure at idle when the engine idles while hot, such as when pulling up to pay tolls. The oil level is good. M380 2007 with Cummins ISL 400.

The VMS PC Silverleaf doesn't have any recorded error codes, other than a weird "unknown" code. I also don't see anything about oil on the RoadRunner 4, although it has mentioned a high voltage alert. The dash light turns on and the buzzer sounds at idle when the engine is warm. The oil pressure gauge drops to zero.

The M380 manual mentions turning on the "diagnostic switch" or adding a "shorting plug" to read blinking light error codes, but doesn't say where they are. I'm familiar with this process for a car, but not the Cummins.

Is there a manual that will help me out with this? Any suggestions? Thanks!
1. Ignore the oil pressure reading on the Road Ranger -- it always reads 55 on everybody's M380 regardless of temp / operating conditions. Rumor has it that BB "rigged" the reading because of the number of questions they received about accurate readings. (see https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=11384)
2. There are other posts of owners reporting the dash oil pressure gauge reads zero when warm at idle. My gauge works for a minute or two after startup, then goes to zero so I can't confirm whether mine does that too. PO had gauge looked at (think it was Parliament) and was told it was a common complaint. They said the module that drives that gauge goes bad and couldn't be replaced because it's part of the dash system board that is unobtainable. They recommended he look for another way to get a reading -- he chose to rely on the low pressure warning light/buzzer. I have purchased, but not yet installed, the BlueFire module that should solve this (and other) dash problems. (see https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...d.php?p=441520)
3. Doesn't Silverleaf have the capability to display the oil pressure reading? I thought they did.

My primary concern is that (if I read your post right), you're saying the low pressure light and buzzer are actually coming on at warm idle ("The dash light turns on and the buzzer sounds at idle when the engine is warm."). I've never had that happen, nor do I remember reading any posts that reported that. Some posts do say that Cummins has engine cut-off protection if the pressure is truly zero, but I'm not sure I'd want to wait for that to kick in!

Bottom line for me if I were in your shoes, find a way to get an accurate reading -- rebuilds are really expensive.
hexspeed@aol.com
Phone # in Member Profile
Old 08-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold,Cat&Sam View Post
What is the engine rpm when this happens ?

Ours was doing that when the idle dropped too low due to a faulty overflow valve on the injector pump .
I'll check next leg of the trip (Sunday).
Old 08-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2x4drvr View Post
My oil pressure gauge does the same thing, 0 pressure after running for awhile, my Scangauge always reads 55psi, several other owners report 0 readings. I just check my Scangauge.
The VMSPC Silverleaf always says 55psi.
Old 08-09-2019

"Doesn't Silverleaf have the capability to display the oil pressure reading? I thought they did."

Yes, but it looks like its stuck at 55psi. I don't trust it.

Both the alarm and the check engine light turn on when this happens.

Does anyone know how to get the flashing light error codes out? There should be a place to put the shorting plug that turns on the flashing code when the ignition is turned on.

I'd also appreciate comments on where to connect an old direct pressure reading gauge (oil in the pressure line up to the gauge). I have an old one I can connect up if I find the right place to tap into oil pressure.
Old 08-09-2019
Forum owner

A 2 second search found this on the web.
The oil sending unit for the dash gauge will be located close to the oil filter. It will have from 1 to 3 wires depending on type. It will have a fitting on the bottom that screws into a port near the oil filter. It will normally be round with a slight rounded top, although the shape could be different on yours.

There is an oil sending unit on the engine also but that only transmits information to the ECM and not the dash gauge. That may be what you purchased from Cummins and you should not attempt to change it. It will look nothing like what I described above.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-09-2019

Additional information: When we first pulled out (8:30 AM), and were about one hour out on a 5 hour leg, we were stuck in stop/go traffic. It never once sounded the alarm. Then 3-4 hours out we went through a series of toll booths and it happened every time. It needs to be very warm for this to happen.