Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 06-29-2009

Unhappy leak in compartment

I have a leak in my tool box compartment (where the grill gas hook up is) which is under the refrigerator exterior vent. I looked behind the vent cover and the water line to the ice maker looks good and is dusty. The entire rear of the refregerator is dry as a bone.

It has been raining off and on for the past two weeks. I wrote about my leak over the door and driver's seat which occurred about 7 orf 8 days ago (which hasn't leaked since I sealed the top front), I also had found that my tool box compartment was wet and a slow drip. I assumed at that time, I may have a leak around the light above the compartment. Because I checked the rear of the refrigerator and all was dry.

It only rained lightly since then and we actually had 2 days of sunshine and it got up to 80 degrees. In St. Andrews and Shediac, I did notice the compartment was drying up and was even more convinced that the light fixure above was leaking when raining and it was running down the inside wall and leaking into the compartment.

However, today I arrive in Halifax and hook up. I goto the Tool box to get some tools to set up my dish and water is pouring in that compartment. No rain during our trip here and while it is over cast, it is not raining. With the quantity of water, I assume it is a ruptured water line to the ice maker. I go to the water distribution compartment and shut off the water to the ice machine and the washer. I also filled my fresh water tank and running the water pumps (water pressure 55 lbs). After the water stopped dripping in the compartment, I turned the washer water back on. No water problems. Now I turn on the ice maker water and still no water in the compartment. If the water began to drip into the compartment, then I would be sure it was a water line that had ruptured. Now I am confused.

Any ideas?? It began to rain a 2 am, so I will check the compartment in a few minutes and see. I also plan to re connect park water and see what happens.
Could 55 psi cause the water lines to leak, but not leak at 35 psi?

After these two test and no matter what the result, I will use Randy's water procedure of always using your pumps instead of city water pressure.

Thanks in advance

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
Eight 5 zero four four 7 one 7 zero zero
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 06-29-2009
Former Bird Owner

Have you been running any AC units? I discovered a "leak" was condensation from the center AC not draining through the tube (it's blocked somewhere -- there's a thread on that topic), but was getting behind various panels (ceiling, wall) and draining into the galley area cabinets. Conceivably, it could reach the tool box compartment -- and the appearance of moisture can be significantly delayed (as it works its way through the walls) so the correlation is hard to make.

I spend months looking for leaks in the roof and exterior walls before I made the connection to the AC (with a hint from this forum).

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 06-29-2009

Wink thanks

With 65 degrees temperature, I have not run the AC's, but thanks for the suggestion.

rr

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
Eight 5 zero four four 7 one 7 zero zero
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 06-30-2009
WanderBee

Could the difference in pressure cause the leak? Absolutely. I had a house once that I was flipping. The pressure regulator to the house went bad and the house was getting something like 125-135PSI on the pipes (which I didn't know when I bought it). I had leaks everywhere. They started about as fast as I could fix them. I finally figured out the water pressure issue, replaced the regulator (and brought it back to about 75PSI) and several of them just stopped leaking (these were the hose connections for the sinks). I replaced them anyhow. The pressure differential made a big difference. That may not be the issue. But, its worth looking in to.

BTW, do you run a pressure regulator when you run off a water connection? I have one for my Winnebago (as well as a filter). My experience at that house led me to get one and run it that way.
Marietta, GA
Old 06-30-2009
Former Bird Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joatha View Post
<snip>

BTW, do you run a pressure regulator when you run off a water connection? I have one for my Winnebago (as well as a filter). My experience at that house led me to get one and run it that way.
The (newer) Wanderlodges have a built-in pressure regulator in the input connection for shore water. However, it's not a bad idea to get a water pressure gauge and check the system pressure from time to time.

I put a hose-thread adaptor on the outside faucet (in water/sewer service area), so I can screw on a pressure gauge to check that the built-in regulator is still regulating.

Normally, I see about 45 psi from shore water -- and 65 psi from the 5.7 gpm variable speed pump I installed 2 years back.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com