Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Care and Upkeep

Care and Upkeep Let's face it, it has to be done. Have questions of what to do or how to do it, this is the place to talk about it.

Site Search:

Old 07-30-2019

Default Polishing side rails

I am trying to polish up my side rails. I have some what appears to be water spotting on them. I have tried Mothers aluminum and chrome polish and it didn't really do much. Does anyone have any recommendations to get them shining.
Old 07-30-2019

Meguiers Mirror Glaze Ultra Cut Compound. I have used it on spots of all types and it has worked on all of them. Try it on a very small area first. PM me and I can meet you somewhere and give you a sample of it so you can try it before you buy it. It's not cheap. About $35.00 a bottle. BarKeepers Friend might work as well.
"Dream Chaser"
Old 07-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
I am trying to polish up my side rails. I have some what appears to be water spotting on them. I have tried Mothers aluminum and chrome polish and it didn't really do much. Does anyone have any recommendations to get them shining.

Make sure they are not anodized, which you cannot polish.

Try using some MMO on a rag to remove the spots and brighten it up some.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 07-31-2019

Kiki, you're gonna find your aluminum trim is anodized. Once they become stained in any way, it's almost impossible to clean them up. I found out the hard way in '02 when I purchased my coach. I tried everything you can imagine to get spots and stains out of the anodizing. Nothing works. If you want them cleaned, be prepared to strip the anodizing. Been there...done that! Then they polish up just like aluminum rims. Use the right alum polish after stripping the anodizing and they look like chrome.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 07-31-2019

Kiki,
The trim on my 87 appears to be anodized as well. If you strip the anodizing and polish they will look awsome. BUT it will need constant periodic polishing to keep it looking good. I have done that on wreckers that we had in the past and the shine didn’t last long without almost constant care.
Fred
Old 07-31-2019

Kiki-
Haven’t tried this. But maybe?
https://www.everbritecoatings.com/aluminum.htm
Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 07-31-2019

I found that because the aluminum is well about the road, they do not get the constant beating from road dirt junk that the a wheel would get. Therefore, I found that I only need to polish the trim about every 2 to 3 years. Usually every year for the wheels. And keep in mind that we've been full time for almost 11 years. So we cover a lot of miles in all kinds of conditions. And still every 2 to 3 years keeps them looking good. And my 24ft trailer has the same matching trim on it. They also have been stripped and polished. Again every 2 to 3 years I polish them up. Sometime with a buffing wheel. Sometime just by hand with a micro fiber towel. Just depends on how shiny I want them. I also wipe them with a shamous after each wash job. Keeps them from water spotting in you have hard water.

Hardest part of the entire ordeal was stripping the anodizing. After that it's a piece of cake. To me, it's actually easier that polishing wheels.

For what it's worth...I have a total of 224 lineal feet of aluminum trim I polish. I found Bushe's aluminum polish works best.
Keeps me busy for a few hours. LOL

Another option is to do what Dan Leftowitz (Lefty) did. He removed all his trim had it stripped and re-anodized. An outfit in Florida did it for him.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 07-31-2019

Call this company for anodizing:
http://www.davidrussellanodizing.com/index.html
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 08-01-2019

Doug that Everbrite stuff looks promising, I may give it a shot.

Don, how did you strip the anodizing, I saw one method using EZoff and one using drain cleaner. I'm guessing this is what you were talking about "the hardest part.

I'm ok with polishing from time to time, I like a shiny Bird.

Ill give MMO a shot, love that stuff.

Ill update once I get er done.
Old 08-01-2019

Quote:
Kiki, you're gonna find your aluminum trim is anodized. Once they become stained in any way, it's almost impossible to clean them up. I found out the hard way in '02 when I purchased my coach. I tried everything you can imagine to get spots and stains out of the anodizing. Nothing works. If you want them cleaned, be prepared to strip the anodizing. Been there...done that! Then they polish up just like aluminum rims. Use the right alum polish after stripping the anodizing and they look like chrome.
Don, how do you strip anodizing?

D