Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 07-13-2009

Default Another Aft TV Renovation

This two-day project turned out to be more like two weeks, but it is DONE!

When removing the old TV there appeared a huge cavern just dying to become light storage. This installation boxes in the cavity and uses a sliding plywood panel in grooves with a hinged mounting plate for the TV. It isn't as easy to get into as a plain cabinet door, but it is very functional.

Here are seven pictures of the process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Original.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	2396   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Cavity.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	558.9 KB
ID:	2397   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Walls Up.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	595.0 KB
ID:	2398   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Hinged TV Slide Mount.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	535.3 KB
ID:	2399   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 TV Mount.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	536.1 KB
ID:	2400   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 TV Mounted.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	580.8 KB
ID:	2401   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 Finished.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	555.4 KB
ID:	2402  
Old 07-13-2009

Ron,

What keeps the door/TV panel shut? I don't see any catch on it. Looks good!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 07-14-2009

Ron, Two weeks to do a two day job? Yep, that's about right. Nice when it works out though isn't it?

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 07-14-2009
Can't re-member

Nice work, looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
This two-day project turned out to be more like two weeks, but it is DONE!

When removing the old TV there appeared a huge cavern just dying to become light storage. This installation boxes in the cavity and uses a sliding plywood panel in grooves with a hinged mounting plate for the TV. It isn't as easy to get into as a plain cabinet door, but it is very functional.

Here are seven pictures of the process.

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 07-14-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
Ron,

What keeps the door/TV panel shut? I don't see any catch on it. Looks good!

John,

In the lower left picture (place your cursor over the thumbnail and it shows the title 6 TV Mounted jpg) it appears that the RED HANDLE locks the TV/Door closed. Open up the picture and then click on it to enlarge it and click on it again to enlarge it even further and near the handle you can read the instructions for opening and closing, as well as locking the door that Ron has added, this is a very nice touch!!

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-14-2009

John, the other John is correct. The red handle is the lock. It's a piece of aluminum that pivots and is painted red so it is obvious in the unlocked position. When rotated left, it is hidden. There is a piece of rubber bonded to it to assist vibration reduction, and the whole thing is isolated pretty much by foam rubber at the contact points, and a couple of pieces of rubber hose on the bottom (had to be firmer, but since that rubber hose won't allow sliding the TV closed, the hose is covered with hdpe straps cut from a milk jug.)

What didn't show well in the picture is the strap that stops the slide from coming out too far; that would NOT be good. It is attached on the TV end with a canvas twist lock for easy removal and is sewn from basement liner, or trunk liner as it is called.

Now I have to figure out what to do in the front end. There are lots of installations in this forum to give me ideas, though mine will have to be different. My wife is extremely visually impaired, so the TV will probably rest on the table behind the driver's seat where she can get close to it. It will stow in the couch drawer when driving. I am thinking of making the old TV location into a media center or a bookshelf. (I don't think I need to worry about jack-rabbit starts dumping books on me....) (...unless you magnificent wizards have come up with a nitrous oxide injection system I haven't heard about....)
Old 07-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
Ron, Two weeks to do a two day job? Yep, that's about right. Nice when it works out though isn't it?
John, in estimating these hobby jobs a professional furniture builder said to take the hour estimate, change it to weeks, and double it. Or did he say, take the weeks and turn it into months and double it? I can't remember. Same difference. I do know that it is very, very good that I am not an estimator for a commercial operation. Wouldn't last long. Maybe that's what happened to Blue Bird?
Old 07-14-2009

Ron,

Sounds like she needs to find an Optometrist who specializes in low vision. They should be able to fit her in better eyewear to minimize some of the contortions it sounds like she's having to do. If you can't find anybody, let me know- I will be able to through the association.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 09-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
Ron,

Sounds like she needs to find an Optometrist who specializes in low vision. They should be able to fit her in better eyewear to minimize some of the contortions it sounds like she's having to do. If you can't find anybody, let me know- I will be able to through the association.
Thank you John. We appreciate your offer. However, Dorinda got macular degeneration when she was eight years old, so there is only a little peripheral vision left, nothing anyone has been able to improve with glasses. She can't see much, but boy does she ever love to meet Blue Birders.