Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 11-25-2009

Default No water coming out on the hot water side?

Got the RV 85 pt40 out of storage to go on a trip tomorrow Thanksgiving. The fresh water tank was about 1/4 added some water about 3/4 full now. No water will come out of the hot side. The water water access panel under the bed (drain valve closed, hot water tank on fill and the air purge is off) very puzzling. It is as though the fill switch is in the drain position and no water is going through the hot water tank or lines? I tapped on the valve on the side of the water heater, changed switch positions, tried city water and water pump, drove the RV? any suggestions ?

John Mann
1985 PT40
Granbury Tx.
Old 11-25-2009

The hot water drain valve is stuck between fill and dump. The same thing happened to me before a trip when I drained my water heater. You can remove the end cap on the valve and move the spool (one way or the other, I don't remember which way) manually to get you by for now. The valve probably needs disassembled and cleaned (or removed).

217-720-3608
dthollis@sbcglobal.net

1994 BMC37
1991 SP36(sold)
1984 FC35(totaled)
1978 FC33(sold)
Old 11-25-2009
RV Appraiser

If you have a Versa valve on your water heater, I'd bet it is your problem, it's StUCK!!!. It's stuck in the closed position I removed mine and have not had a problem since. Of course I don't winterize my coach any more I just stick the whole thing about 60 feet under ground. The Versa valve is that square connection on your hot water tank on the out flow side, it controls air flow when winterizing the hot water tank.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

Last edited by birds_first; 11-30-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-30-2009

Thanks for the replies, I didn’t have time to post before leaving, I guess I rubbed my stomach and pulled on the right ear in the right order ha-ha! I was able to put city water on the fill position while filling the tank some more and was able to get water to come thru the hot side and unstuck and filled the tank. My sporlan valve has been sporadic lately and probably needs replacing. The sporlan valve seemed to work on city water but when I just use the water pump in the bus it continues to run like the sporlan valve is not closed? No water at all was then coming out of the sink in the bath the screen was clogged with small white particles almost like a thick salt? And then it clogged again. Seems there is a high amount of calcium buildup or possible the water pump shredding. I would think the filter would catch all that! I guess I need check the sporlan valve for particles and hopefully that will be it and the heater fill switch on the side of the heater. All this just in time for winterization.
John Mann
1985 PT40
Granbury Tx
Old 11-30-2009

Hi John, The filter only catches stuff before the pump- mainly from the freshwater tank. It does not take much of the calcium to clog your faucet screens. After winterizing, I seem to get a bunch of the stuff worked loose in the hot water tank. I usually prime the system by opening the shower faucet first. It does not have any screens in it.

You might want to try running a couple of gallons of white vinegar through the sporlan and fill system. It does a nice job of dissolving the lime deposits and is not toxic.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 11-30-2009
RV Appraiser

John, You have 2 or three sporlan valves in the back & several one way check valves, but I really think your problem is the Versa Valve on the side of the water heater. Under high pressure (city water) it may open and give you hot water, but on the 12 volt pump you do not have the pressure and you will not get hot water. I'd even hit a hard bump in the road and it would function and at times it may not function for days. It took me a year to sort this out, and with the help of Woody & Dick at Rats 08 we yanked that sucker out (Versa Valve). No problems since. The Versa valve directs air flow to the water heater to drain the water heater tank & when it's functioning properly you get hot water, if not you won't. Inside the Versa there is a ram rod, a hammer disc a heavy spring, a few rubber o rings, and I think it is a three chamber valve, water & air in and hot water out. On the old yahoo site there is a folder with part numbers on the Versa valve. There is a rebuild kit about $40 and a new valve is around $150 if you can find it. I found out that Versa products are sold through protected distributers so you would have to find the correct distributer for your state. To tell if it is functioning, have someone hold on to the Versa valve while you flip on the switch for air purge, the valve will vibrate from the hammer affect if it's functioning, if not it's stuck.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_