Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tool Tips

Tool Tips Here you will finds tips on using old tools, as well as the latest in new tools that you can use on your 'Bird's projects.

Site Search:

Old 12-07-2008
Senior

Default Diesel fuel polisher

I have been thinking for a long while of building a diesel fuel polisher to polish the 250+ gallons of diesel fuel presently in my coach. Earlier in the year on the way back from Florida I had to replace the racor filters 3 times due to them getting clogged up with what I think is algae. At least its really black.

I have a brand new 12V electric fuel pump (Airtex E12Ax) and will use that as the pump and add some kind of filter system and tubing to power it. Have been thinking about just putting both the inlet and outlet house in the diesel tank fill on the side of the bus and let her rip until the fuel is all nice and clean.

Has anyone done something similar to this so I dont have to reinvent the wheel?
6V92
Old 12-07-2008
Gardner

Tom,
I would think that using the input to the Racor as the supply would duplicate your normal fuel supply. Returning the fuel thorugh the fill would help agitate it and keep the algae suspended.

You and Shane seem to have really been hit with this problem. Is there a different and larger filter that could be placed in front of the Racor to take out the algae in larger quantities?

How about this? http://drfuel.com/products.php?cat=6
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 12-07-2008
Senior

Actually connecting at the Racor would be ideal I suppose but then I have to get an adapter of some kind to connect into the lines. I just figured putting both lines down the fuel filler would do about the same thing as far as turbulence. Pushing 40 gallons an hour thru the lines should be pretty turbulent. If not then I will go the Racor route.

Has anyone else done this?
6V92
Old 12-08-2008

Default Fuel Polishing

Boaters do this all the time and there are a gazillion ways to do it. You should be able to get your Racors in several different filtration gradations. I have 30 micron on the boat at present but I have used 10 micron. Some boaters use 2 micron filters. To be honest, I haven't looked at my filters on the bus. Holland changed them out the last time I was there. I probably should (when it's warmer )
Old 12-08-2008
Senior

Unhappy

Jim I am aware that boaters regularly polish their fuel because of algae problems. I also have a case of Racor filters and another case of final DD diesel filters Fleetguard LF3333. But the Racors are to small to really do a good job of polishing the fuel if you want to get all of it out of the bottom of the tank also. Thinking of using two of the fleetguard filters but need a way to mount and connect them to the pump I have. Have to think about it if no one hasnt already made something. For one coach it doesnt pay to buy a commercial polisher.
6V92
Old 12-08-2008

Default Fuel Polishing

Tom,
I don't know the size of the Racor that you have. I have a Racor 900 on my boat. You might think of plumbing a pickup on the bottom of the tank leading to a big racor and then back into the tank. I don't have a clue as to the location of your tanks, but it would seem that if you could draw off the bottom you'd be ahead of the game. Just my two cents. There are also commercial fuel polishers that will come to you (in the case of a boat) and polish your fuel. I don't know what the cost would be if you went to them and had it done.
Old 12-08-2008
Senior

Jim I have a 900 Racor. Their is a plug on the bottom of the 300 gallon fuel tank which is close to the Racor but I honestly do not want to take the plug out and try and fit some kind of adapter etc in their. Saw a mechanic at Mr Olivers do it and he came away drenched in diesel fuel. I would rather stick to normal showers Unless someone else has already done it then I intend to put both inlets and outlet to the pump thru the fuel filler in the side of the bus. I can move the inlet to the pump around inside of the tank and I would think the fuel return to the tank over time would stir it up enough to do the job. But then I might be wrong and that is why I asked if anyone has actually done it. Hypotheticals are nice but sometimes run into problems when you actually attempt to adapt it to the real world. But thanks anyway for taking the time to answer. I honestly appreciate it.
6V92
Old 12-08-2008
Forum owner

Bruce Campbell polished his fuel a few years ago,i think pickup and return in the fuel fill hole.
just as your planning to do.
go for it,keep us advised!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-08-2008

Default fuel polishing

Tom,
I may have misunderstood you. I was thinking a permanent fuel polishing system. What I think you're proposing is a portable system in which case your solution would certainly be the easiest. One other suggestion is that you put a vacuum gauge on top of the Racor so that you can tell when the filter is getting dirty. The pump would be on the return side of the filter and as it becomes dirty, the gauge would show a vacuum increase. Food for thought.
Old 12-08-2008

FWIW
My coach has a vacuum gauge already built in by BB. See attached pixs. It took a few years for me to figure this gauge out, it was always on 0 and I thought it was broke. One day I saw it reading 20+ and at the next rest stop the engine quit. It was a Racor filter completely plugged up. It was rust from the fuel tank.
This rust wa suspended in the fuel and settled nicely in the 10 micron Racor filter, eventually shutting the fuel off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0238.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	544.7 KB
ID:	3543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vacuum Gauge.jpg.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	556.1 KB
ID:	3544   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2641.JPG
Views:	213