Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tool Tips

Tool Tips Here you will finds tips on using old tools, as well as the latest in new tools that you can use on your 'Bird's projects.

Site Search:

Old 07-01-2010
Gardner

Default Cutoff blade

I need to cut the front upper panhard rod bolt off because BB installed the leveling jack cross member right behind the bolt head. Will a cuttoff blade on a grinder cut through a grade 8 bolt? (or actually several blades I would expect) The idea of a sawsall and a dozen blades and a couple of hours doesn't really appeal to me.

I could buy a grade 8 bolt and try, but why not ask first
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-01-2010

Is there a reason not to use a torch? Even if a bag is close, you should be able to sheild it with a beer can shield enough to safely cut the bolt.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 07-01-2010
Senior

Gardener I have several different grinders that can use cut off wheels and they will cut thru almost anything. A grade 8 bolt depending on its size should take 3-5 minutes. That is of course if you can get the grinding wheel on the right place on the bolt. I have a small cut off grinder I got from Harbor Freight on sale for $9.95 and surprisingly it is a work horse. With the thinest wheels it cuts very fast and neat.
6V92
Old 07-01-2010
Gardner

John,
I'm kinda with Randy on this, hot wrenches risk fire, especially on an old grease laden BB. And I don't 'have fire insurance, only liability. The grinder throws sparks as well, but not big globs of molten metal.

Tom,
I'll give the grinder a try. I may need to change blades often due to the reach, but it beats the sawsall route.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-01-2010

Remember that the grease you're working with there is loaded with dirt, so it doesn't burn like fresh clean grease does. That being said, you certainly have to be comfortable doing the job! The cutoff tools do a good job as well! I have both and like both, though I do pay more attention to where and what I'm cutting with a blue wrench than a cutoff tool.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 07-01-2010
davidmbrady

I got a 20,000 rpm pneumatic Crapsman cutoff tool that I've used to cut grade 8 material. The diamond blades are 1/16th of an inch thick. The cutter is tiny and can fit into tight spaces. This is probably your best bet.
Old 07-01-2010
Forum owner

it takes 20 minutes or less with a sawzall and good blades,we have cut many of them.
Engine mount bolts are a different matter...

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-01-2010
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

I just had to grind the heads off 6 bolts holding on the generator on my '78. They were 32 years old, rusted, and I could not get an impact wrench on them. So, took a 7" grinder and started at it. Pain in the butte.. use eye protection.. watch the direction of the sparks then have fun. Took about 4-5 min per bolt, not sure if they were grade-5 or 8.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 07-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
I need to cut the front upper panhard rod bolt off because BB installed the leveling jack cross member right behind the bolt head. Will a cuttoff blade on a grinder cut through a grade 8 bolt? (or actually several blades I would expect) The idea of a sawsall and a dozen blades and a couple of hours doesn't really appeal to me.

I could buy a grade 8 bolt and try, but why not ask first
Harbor Freight 4" Grinder and cutoff wheels. Works great. Cuts fine. Cheap. Just did two sets of bushings this spring.
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 07-01-2010
Gardner

Got new cuttoff blades for my Porter Cable grinder. Used a 5 foot piece of square steel tubing and my trusty 1 1/2 craftsman box wrench to loosten the nuts. I backed the bolts off and used the grinder to cut the heads off. Got half way through, turned the bolt half way and finished the cut. I was able to aim the spark blast away from the coach, mostly up my armpit. (full safety goggles were used)

The first bolt came out fairly easily using the nut and several wrenches to pry the bolt out. The second one, not so easy. It got hung up with about 1/2 inch left to pull out. It took most of 45 minutes of hammer, wrench, plyers, foul language, and other stuff to finally break it free.

After all that, the bushings were not worn out, at least the rubber was intact and the sleve was still attached: but I'll be darned if the rod is going back in without replacing them.

A pic of half way through the cutoff step.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5236.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	5679  
Ridgewood, New Jersey