Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 02-27-2011

Default cac temps

I took the bird out for a short run yesterday with the temps in the lower 60s. The turbo exhaust temp would climb to 85-95 when I was climbing some hills, with the transmission left in mode. I was told at the end of last year when the radiator was fixed that the cac had some leaks but I was not able to get it fixed at that time. Should I be worried about the temp climbing to high?
Old 02-27-2011
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrams View Post
I took the bird out for a short run yesterday with the temps in the lower 60s. The turbo exhaust temp would climb to 85-95 when I was climbing some hills, with the transmission left in mode. I was told at the end of last year when the radiator was fixed that the cac had some leaks but I was not able to get it fixed at that time. Should I be worried about the temp climbing to high?
Hi Jabrams,

Your WB and my LXi have EGT probes that are located in the s-pipe after the turbo. 900 degF is normal for hard pulls. I'd be concerned if it went much above that. I recently installed a new Dura-Lite CAC - my old CAC was badly cracked. I pressure tested it and couldn't get it to hold even 1 PSI. My EGT's would climb to 1200+ deg if I let them, which I never did. I lived with it for a while, backing off the power on climbs to keep the EGT's below 950. Now it's WOT on the worst of hills and I haven't seen above 900 deg F. Have your CAC pressure tested. Detroit Diesel specs are that it should hold 25 PSI for 15 s. If it doesn't, have it fixed. The CAC is crucial to proper engine performance.
Old 02-27-2011
Former Bird Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrams View Post
FWIW, my CAC apparently was OK... and I never saw EGT above 800 or so, even on the steepest grades in the hottest weather. (Oil temp would eventually hit about 230 and I'd pull over for a cool down if it ever went above that...)

The standard advice is "never let EGT get above 1250 ... but my comfort level would probably suggest 900 as a reasonable maximum.

In normal operation, my EGT tended to run in the 500-600 range.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com